Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [USELESS] volume in foobar (Read 13971 times) previous topic - next topic

[USELESS] volume in foobar

hi i am new to foobar, but i notice when i change teh volume, i gotta go through preferences to change it, and then it has like a 5 second delay

is there any way to have its own volume bar on the actual player and not to have a delay

i hate to say it, but is there a way to have volume like winamp 

Reply #1
For the delay: you can set the output buffer lower, this way you'll get a lower delay. There will always be a delay. If only 500ms.
There might be a volume slider once, but maybe even not. Your post is about the 100th about this topic, so please USE THE FORUM SEARCH FUNCTION before posting. There is a link on proper forum posting in my signature if you'd like some more tips.
And you can set any keyboard shortcut to change the volume.
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #2
i changed the volume to my global hot keys

but they still have a long lag,

is this normal

Reply #3
i changed the volume to my global hot keys

but they still have a long lag,

is this normal[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244754"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. Kalmark just answered that..

For the delay: you can set the output buffer lower, this way you'll get a lower delay. There will always be a delay. If only 500ms.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244311"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
f to c to f to c

Reply #4
no i mean i did that, and i still get a LONG delay

i guess its not a big deal just curious to make it as low as possible

Reply #5
no i mean i did that, and i still get a LONG delay

i guess its not a big deal just curious to make it as low as possible[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's strange. When I change the buffer length to say, 100 ms (Prefs > Playback > Output > *whatever output you're using*), volume change is near instantaneous. Using Cpt. Footure's [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22894&]foo_out_dsound_ex2[/url] for my output if that makes any difference.
f to c to f to c

Reply #6
Can you check what Preferences -> Playback -> Status display reports for "Output latency"?
Life is Real...

Reply #7
goes between 88-113

Reply #8

Reply #9
i counted, and it takes 15 seconds to change
the dsp latency should be lower too shouldnt it?

edit: i fixed it!! i disabled all dsps so now my dsp latency is 0

volume works good now

kinda sucks that i cant use a fader now though

Reply #10
Your DSP latency was huge...maybe you should only leave the most important ones in the DSP chain, maybe even have a shorter fade...
Life is Real...

Reply #11
Volume control should be at the end of the DSP chain. Always.

Reply #12
kinda sucks that i cant use a fader now though
You can use Direct Sound v2 (see output method) with builtin fade in/out.
minka niau!

Reply #13
yah but when i turn up the fade, the volume control lags alot

Reply #14
Volume control DSP will not make the crossfading DSP plug-ins lag if you place the volume control at the end of the DSP chain.

Please post a screen shot of your DSP list.

Reply #15
ok ill post a few... from dsp to outputs

Reply #16
all i really want is, to have my volume almost instant - and a fade between tracks

thats all

Reply #17
it's ridiculous not to have the volume control in the main gui of a music player program!!  Why doesn't this append in foobar?!?!?!!?

Reply #18
Hmm, little offtopic, but I can see on these screenshots Direct Sound output version 2.5... Is it only included in special installer? I don't see a such plugin on foobar's download page...

Reply #19
foo_out_dsound_ex2 file & HA thread.

I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't even have the volume control DSP enabled. The method of liberation is quite simple really: ReplayGain -> set negative preamp for non-gained files -> remove volume control dsp -> enjoy. Go on, try it. It isn't that hard.

For those that aren't ready to take the plunge in the world of no volume control, you could always use the + or - keys or set up whatever crazy hotkeys you would rather use. That isn't very hard either.

If you can't stand not having a volume bar or if you can't stand laggy volume because of DSP and output latency, you might want to consider a different player for general usage.

I recall someone making a Foobar plugin to adjust the Windows system volume (which obviously results in essentially realtime volume adjustment), but I can't be bothered to do the legwork to find it. Everyone should know where the search box and Google is by now.

Reply #20
i just took off all dsps except volume to have instant volume

kinda sucks i cant have both volume instant and fade

Reply #21
How often do you need to adjust the volume? ReplayGain should take care of files or albums being too quiet or too loud, while there is a dynamic compressor for other purposes.

Reply #22
well its just that i have foobar on all day everyday

so when i game, i want it a tad lower, or when im on the phone

stuff like that.. volume is always changing

i cant really tell a client WAIT FOR THE DSP BUFFER TO LOWER MY VOLUME

Reply #23
I would think that adjusting the physical volume control on the speakers themselves or whatnot would be more convenient if you're interested in finetuning.

An alternative idea to the slider route which everyone seems to request would be if the volume changer made a smooth volume transition without dsp delay to user-configurable levels--quiet, normal, and loud (or whatever the user named them). Since it's mostly a desire for a quick, visible, and easily manipulated volume control, you could throw in little toolbar buttons. This is already doable via hotkeys, but those few additions would be rather neat
f to c to f to c

Reply #24
Any idea why hes getting lag on the volume control DSP?  I'm curious since I haven't seen that and Kode seems to think it shouldn't happen.