Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Whats is the worst mastered CD [your opinions] ? (Read 449078 times) previous topic - next topic

Whats is the worst mastered CD [your opinions] ?

Reply #475
I managed to get a FLAC rip of the GH3 version, omfg it's ALOT better. Someone who did the final album mixing should be named and shamed, for messing up a good album.

Also the bitrates at -V2 --vbr-new are very interesting.

Retail version at -V 2

GH3 version at -V 2

"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #476
@ /mnt: Could you please post a spectral view from Track 2 of your FLAC-version? I found one on another forum. It's supposed to be from a FLAC-version, but I wonder why there is a hi-cut at about 16 khz:

Otherwise, I'm not sure, what kind of audio-format is used on this GHIII-Games. Is it uncompressed PCM?

Reply #477
@ /mnt: Could you please post a spectral view from Track 2 of your FLAC-version? I found one on another forum. It's supposed to be from a FLAC-version, but I wonder why there is a hi-cut at about 16 khz:

I made a quick freq analysis on Audicty if that helps.

Otherwise, I'm not sure, what kind of audio-format is used on this GHIII-Games. Is it uncompressed PCM?

I highly doubt that GH3 is using uncompressed audio. Since lossy audio is really a big norm in video games nowdays, because of faster cpus and ogg vorbis. But sometimes video game devs do take lowering the bitrate abit too far, on games such as GTA 4 (Not sure about the PS3 version though) and Doom 3.

Reply #479
Someone who did the final album mixing should be named and shamed, for messing up a good album.

100% Agree

About your Encspot captures: the best FLAC version I got (48kHz, mentioned above) has 2 versions of Suicide & Redemption, named JH and KH respectively (James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet I guess). I see only one on your GH3 capture.

BTW is it only my imagination or you've got a massive metal collection there? Beware of L.A.R.S.
Napster...baaaad!

Reply #480
BTW: Does anybody know what this is?:
http://cdon.no/musikk/metallica/death_magn...version-4042940

I have no idea, could be a remix album . It does look like it could be a complete different version, or just the same album with bonus tracks.

Someone who did the final album mixing should be named and shamed, for messing up a good album.

100% Agree

About your Encspot captures: the best FLAC version I got (48kHz, mentioned above) has 2 versions of Suicide & Redemption, named JH and KH respectively (James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet I guess). I see only one on your GH3 capture.

I have the exact same FLAC version, as you have describe. At 48Khz and the 2 versions of Suicide & Redemption. I just left out the JH version, when i was transcoding it to Mp3. Those 2 versions seem to be for co-op mode or something like that.

BTW is it only my imagination or you've got a massive metal collection there? Beware of L.A.R.S.
Napster...baaaad!

LOL

I sorta don't have to worry about the Metallicops raiding my house, since my music collection is just almost fully legit, expect the GH3 rip of Deth-Mag and a few very rare albums of course. Also my music collection is mostly Thrash, Heavy, and Industrial Metal.

Reply #481
I highly doubt that GH3 is using uncompressed audio.

I dunno. The 48khz FLAC version has frequency response on the cymbals all the way up to 24khz. No lowpassing at all.

Reply #482
It's a bit off topic, but I was wondering - I heard that Guitar Hero is mixing everything in real time, so you can hear that you "played" the "guitar" wrong... is it possible to extract it all separatly and mix it on your own, or just extract the band playing without vocals, and stuff like that?

Reply #483

The GH3 download size of Death Magnetic is about 1.4 GiB. That would be pretty much for compressed audio.

Reply #484

I dunno. The 48khz FLAC version has frequency response on the cymbals all the way up to 24khz. No lowpassing at all.

The GH3 download size of Death Magnetic is about 1.4 GiB. That would be pretty much for compressed audio.

Am sorry to have been pestimestic about the GH3 version being lossy or lossless. But am glad that some game devs are using lossless audio, unlike most game devs that use lossless textures and lossy audio i.e id Software.

Reply #485
Rush - Signals (1982)
Santana - Festival (1976)
very, very bad equalized; sounds like cassete player with dirty head

Reply #486
Kelly Clarkson - All I Ever Need (released March 10, 2009)

After ripping with EAC and encoding to MP3 using LAME 3.98.2, I get the following replaygain settings in fb2k

album gain = -10.83 dB

album peak = 1.205113

Most of the album's songs have track gains of worse than -10 dB,
with several in the high -9.x dB range, and one in the -8.75 dB range

Reply #487
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Definately the worst sounding CD I've bought. Apparently they wanted it to sound awful:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/173...t_to_watch_mgmt
"We redid a lot of our songs that sounded too polished," says Goldwasser. "Dave ended up running the tracks through this thing that crushed them and made them sound really gross again. They're a lot better now."

The result is something that I have to turn down to listen to - damn inverse loudness wars!

TT-DR results of the track Time To Pretend:
Code: [Select]
-----------------------------------------------
Statistics for: Time to Pretend.wav

left              right

Peak value:     -0.75 dB   ---    -0.84 dB
Avg RMS:        -5.89 dB   ---    -5.57 dB
DR channel:      4.03 dB   ---     3.32 dB

Official DR value:  DR4
===============================================

It's down there with Californication! I hear the LP is just as bad.

Reply #488
Worst - pretty much all of Muse. Had to sell them back to CD store. NIN the slip has been mentioned I think and I agree. It's actually almost painful to listen to. About Porcupine Tree. In my opinion, Deadwing was Steven Wilson's only poorly mastered CD.

Reply #489
minus - the great northern whalekill!
album gain -11.09 dB, sounds like crap! if my ears were capable of puking i think they would.
10 FOR I=1 TO 3:PRINT"DAMN":NEXT

Reply #490
I'm not sure if anybody already said this (this is a long thread), but pretty much any of the 2007-2009 Genesis remasters would qualify.  By no means were the 1994 versions perfect (apparently such tools as multi-band dynamic compressors didn't exist at the time--the sibilants can pierce eardrums), but IMHO, as a life-long Genesis fan, the new versions are awful.  It's like Atlantic/Rhino made a special DAW plug-in that applies as a batch process every single awful aspect of modern mastering (over-zealous dynamic compression, notched-midrange, gratuitous digital affectation, a bath of period-inauthentic digital reverberation) and then ran all the new digital transfers through this plug-in.

Let me put it this way.  I could definitely ABX the two. 

Here are some other real clunkers:

Edwin McCain - Misguided Roses
Weird Al - Poodle Hat
Andre Previn/RPO - Gustav Holst: The Planets, Op 32 (on Telarc--yes, that Telarc)
Coheed and Cambria - IV
Genesis - Trespass (MCA and Definitive Edition releases; both stink)
Kansas - Point Of Know Return (2002 remaster)
The Who -Quadrophenia (MFSL Gold Disc, MCA 1996, Polydor Japan 1996, MCA 1990, et al; nobody ever got this one right)

Oh, BTW, this is my first post here.  Hi everybody!
Transparencies:
MP3 (LAME 3.98.2): V0
AAC (iTunes): 192 kbps

Reply #491
I managed to get a FLAC rip of the GH3 version, omfg it's ALOT better. Someone who did the final album mixing should be named and shamed, for messing up a good album.

I've made a comparison with ClippingAnalyzer (free, uses Excel).

The CD version has one of the highest amounts of clipping I've ever seen (Cyanide).

Where clipping is reduced possibly by something like a brickwall limiter (The Day Tha Never Comes) it sounds even worse.

In contrast the measurement result for the GH3 version looks absolutely perfect without any clipping and with great dynamic range.

Reply #492
There's new pop stuff out this year from Denmark.

Sanne Salomonsen, a well-known singer in this country, who had released 4 English albums in sequence in a 12-year timespan from 1996 until 2008, is now hitting the market with another album completely in Danish.

There is NOT ONE BAD SONG on this album!!

But the mastering is a true horror. See, we're talking about a mix of pop and pop-rock here!!!
Who does such insanity? Is this ever gonna stop?
RGs follow...

Sanne Salomonsen - "Unico" - 2009 - Genre: Pop/AOR/Pop Rock

(1) -12.67 dB,  (2) -11.45 dB, (3) -10.97 dB, (4) -9.43 dB, (5) -11.48 dB, (6) -11.76 dB, (7) -10.20 dB, (8) -11.68 dB, (9) -11.42 dB, (10) -11.05 dB, (11) -11.69 dB, (12) -8.58 dB

Album Gain: -11.46 dB (!) / Album peak: 1.291197

GOOD GOD. Let alone the acrid trebles which are really stinging sharply in the ears sometimes as if there were needles.
Be thankful to the Hi-Fi gods that multiband compressors didn't exist in the mid-90s. That's exactly the reason why the 1999 Rammstein DVD is superior in sound to its end-2000s counterpart, which requires to revert to the alternative ("ancient") sound system in your DVD player to not completely destroy your ears.

But do you know what's really funny?
Ironically enough, track #3 is called "Fantomsmerter" ("phantom limb pain" in English)!! Oh yes, that's possible to occur if you listen to the clippressed album for too long!
Kudos to all dev's not going like "Upgrade OS or f$%# off!"

Reply #493
The new Dinosaur Jr. - "Farm" is pretty bad.  Not quite as bad as the Raw Power Remaster, but at -14.68 for the album, its up there.

Reply #494
The new Dinosaur Jr. - "Farm" is pretty bad.  Not quite as bad as the Raw Power Remaster, but at -14.68 for the album, its up there.

Strange, I listened to the album a lot lately (although via an online stream) and didn't notice that. Actually, I thought it sounded pretty good. I guess this is pure rock&roll, no dynamics needed 

Anyway, is your RG value calculated from the original CD?

Reply #495
Do I win?

Reply #496
Wow! Track peak 2 times over the limit!

Reply #497
Wow, I didn't know that was even possible 
Worst I've seen so far is about -14 dB (1.337644) on some really crappy bootleg
Is this even music?

Reply #498
I think that depends on how you define music.  It's noise, but actually one of the better noise albums I've heard, it has some interesting stuff on it, and actually a good amount of variation. Actually I don't think it's badly mastered at all, the whole point is to be overwhelming and ridiculously loud. It's called Artificial Pomegranate by Government Alpha. It's really heavy.

Reply #499
I have the exact same FLAC version, as you have describe. At 48Khz and the 2 versions of Suicide & Redemption. I just left out the JH version, when i was transcoding it to Mp3. Those 2 versions seem to be for co-op mode or something like that.

The difference in the two songs is the solos, with the JH version having a solo by Hetfield, and the KH version having a solo from Hammet.

It's a bit off topic, but I was wondering - I heard that Guitar Hero is mixing everything in real time, so you can hear that you "played" the "guitar" wrong... is it possible to extract it all separatly and mix it on your own, or just extract the band playing without vocals, and stuff like that?

The tracks are all seperated and are simply playing at the same time.  The game just makes the track cut out when notes stop being hit.