Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: adding replaygain tags to mp3's in linux? (Read 3801 times) previous topic - next topic

adding replaygain tags to mp3's in linux?

Hello Friends

I have used the vorbisgain tool to add replaygain tags to my personal music collection in linux and I'm very happy with it. However, recently I have discovered that there are some quality free music for download, usually in MP3 format. I'd like to be able to add replaygain tags to that music also, preferably with a command line tool that works in Linux.

Does any such tool exist? If so, where can I find it?

cheers/noa

Reply #1
I don't know of a tool for Linux that will replaygain MP3s.  However, when I was experimenting with Linux I was able to get Foobar2000 to work in WINE in Linux.  I assume that you could use Foobar2000 in WINE to write replaygain to your MP3s.

Reply #2
mp3gain

Reply #3
Does any of the linux mp3 players support ReplayGain? I'm using beep end mpd, both don't support RG in mp3 AFAIK.
Ladies and Gentlemen... we are floating in space.

Reply #4
Does any of the linux mp3 players support ReplayGain? I'm using beep end mpd, both don't support RG in mp3 AFAIK.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been looking for such a player too.  But replaygain tags in mp3 files are not yet used by any linux soft (except for mp3gain that will write them, no software read those)

I've modified the xmms-mad plugin with a quick hack to look for an APE tag at the end of mp3 files and  read the replaygain tags.

It's pretty basic but it works (well, except in one case where it didn't find the tag. I guess it's due to an id3v2 tag being there too, I was too busy to open the files with a hexa editor and check..)

I'll upload my patches and compiled plugins shortly, I'd like to add a few things in the configure GUI first.

but the long-term solution is to have mp3 APE tags support in a tag lib, and use it.
'TagLib' looks like it will be the first lib to achieve full support of all kinds of tags and will read replaygain tags (several kinds) soon.
See for exple
[a href="https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/taglib-devel/2004-July/000001.html]https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/taglib-devel...uly/000001.html[/url]

Once that happens, all the players that use TagLib will probably support replaygain in a matter of months.

Reply #5
ok, I took a minute to add setings to the plugin's configure GUI, here's the modified xmms plugin :
http://perso.crans.org/~krempp/xmms-mad/

Reply #6
I updated the files.
Now the plugin finds APE tags even when there's exotic tags after. (it had trouble with lyrics tags.. )
And it displays peak information in fileinfo.

Reply #7
foobar2000 works almost flawlessly under Wine. I experimented with it last week. The default interface doesn't work (it works but has redrawing problems), but foo_ui_columns works very well.

I was a first time user of Wine, and I have limited Linux experience in general, and I still made it work - it's very easy.

Reply #8
foobar2000 works almost flawlessly under Wine. I experimented with it last week. The default interface doesn't work (it works but has redrawing problems), but foo_ui_columns works very well.

I was a first time user of Wine, and I have limited Linux experience in general, and I still made it work - it's very easy.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239842"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I made it work too., but it hangs on several situations. (ok, I could remember to avoid clicking on some things..)
And it's more prone to audio Xruns.

I often give real-time priority to my audio player, so that the sound doesnt start clicking like mad when my hard-drive is intensely active or whatever.

and real-time on wine+foobar is .. not a good idea unless you like frozen computers.

anyway, I find xmms more comfy for everyday use, as long as it does replyagain.
that's why I made my own quick hack a few months ago.

Reply #9
I fixed a few bugs in xmms-mad that could cause the first few seconds of a file to be ignored.
I've uploaded the updated plugin files to the same URL
http://perso.crans.org/~krempp/xmms-mad/
since I haven't manage to contact xmms-mad 's dev yet..