Skip to main content
Topic: Looking For New Computer Audio Hardware (Read 4683 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking For New Computer Audio Hardware

I'm looking for better speakers.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...,CONTENTID=5047

That's what I'm using right now, with a generic 6 channel sound card.

Would you recommend me buying Home Theater speakers, higher-end computer speakers and possibly a better card or what?

I'm open to nearly all options, as long as they aren't terribly pricey. 

Reply #1
What is your price range?

No matter what if what you intend is music listening only then get two proper speakers than a 5 speaker system. Because two good speakers with the same price tag of 5 will outperform. 5 speakers is IMHO better suited for games/DVD/interactive stuff.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #2
Maybe look around the forums a bit.  This has been discussed in depth and largely depends on what you use your system for.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #3
I honestly don't game very much and when I do I don't need to hear footsteps coming in X direction, etc.  My price range is up to 600$ or so.

I'll be using these mostly to listen to music, no specific genre really.

Nice avatar Dream. 

Reply #5
I honestly don't game very much and when I do I don't need to hear footsteps coming in X direction, etc.  My price range is up to 600$ or so.
I'll be using these mostly to listen to music, no specific genre really.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235113"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can do a lot with $600. Definitely stereo; and I'd advise a separate solution. You could try something like
Chaintech AV710 digital out to (2nd hand) panasonic digital receiver
E-MU 0404 analog out to an older stereo amplifier
Which would leave $300 or so for a pair of speakers.
Buying used would get a nice system.

Reply #6
Where do you live? You need to do a bit of reading.

This is my system (cost ~$900):
  • Stereo Link USB sound card (~$100) The sound card should have a good DAC. This is where the signal is converted from digital to analog. You can get a decent stereo PCI sound card for a bit less. But I got a USB based one because of multi-OS support (no need for drivers). It also should be affected less by interference theoretically. It's a good idea to buy a sound card with a DAC supporting high resolution and sampling rate like 24bit/96kHz. But generally the difference is considered inaudible. So get the sound card which has a solid reputation of quality even if it is 16 bit. Also if you want no recording abilities, get one with none or very basic recording capability. More circuitry for unneccessary components means you effectively pay less and thus get less for the components you'll be using (my motto for hi-fi system construction).
  • AudioSource Amp Two amplifier (~$200 refurbished) An amplifier is a device that drives the speakers by amplifying the analog signal to a level that is sufficent. This is necessary because the signal coming out of your sound card is not strong enough to drive the real speakers. The ordinary computer speakers usually are not generally designed for high quality music listening so they come with their own built -in low quality amplifiers. Also I'd prefer amplifier over a receiver because the money you pay goes in the amplification circuitry rather than be wasted unnecessarily (for me) on circuitry like the FM tuner etc.
  • A pair of Infinity Alpha 40 Speakers (~$550) The speakers are the most crucial element to sound quality in the chain. For this you need to read a bit of reviews and/or go to a local hi-fi store and test. Considering how much a good speaker costs, I'd recommend not to try building a 5 speaker system for your price range. You'll just be compromising from the speaker quality otherwise. I live in US and so I prefer a good brand for which I could get the most discount online. For instance my speakers used to sell for $1000 a pair when I paid $550 for a brand new+warranties from Sound Distibutors after a bit of email haggling. Know how much they sell for before you negotiate a price.
  • Cables from KnuKonceptz (~$20).
Edit: Other similar threads (1, 2)
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019