Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: normalizing (Read 4291 times) previous topic - next topic

normalizing

Should music encoded with aac be normalized to 98% like in mp3/mpc?

Regards
A Man Eating Duck
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

normalizing

Reply #1
This is strictly a personal preferrence (like choosing a nick and avatar....).  However, I never normalize because it can alter your music and/or introduce artifacts (so I read).  I use replaygain instead.

Quack!

normalizing

Reply #2
You should *never* normalize, not in MP3, not in MPC, and not in AAC. Normalization is usually done with non-optimal algorithms that will amplify the existing quantization noise. It's much better to apply ReplayGain.

normalizing

Reply #3
Doh

Does AAC Support ReplayGain??

Regards
A Man Eating Duck
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

normalizing

Reply #4
Actually, I don't think ReplayGain supports AAC files.  I can't find any referrence to AAC files on its website.  Go here for more information:

http://www.replaygain.org/

Also, maybe it's time you switch to OGG or MPC.  Read the threads throughout this board to see why almost everyone thinks these formats are superior to AAC and MP3.

Daffy

normalizing

Reply #5
Originally posted by A_Man_Eating_Duck
Doh

Regards
A Man Eating Duck
No, not yet... I suggest you use WaveGain instead... As long as you're not planning on doing some transcoding and normalization afterwards, then there shouldn't be any problems...

normalizing

Reply #6
No, there is not a ReplayGain program for aac at this time.

I know the arguments against normalizing, but I have produced a program that I think works fine called WaveGain, available at Roberto's main site, that applies the ReplayGain algorithms directly to wav files. It makes a volume adjustment +/- and works in Track or Album mode. Give it a try, if you don't like the result, you've only lost a little time!!

Edit: Damn me Sachankara beat me to it!!

normalizing

Reply #7
Originally posted by A_Man_Eating_Duck

In beta stage, yes.

DSPguru is adding AACgain routines to BeSplit.

Regards;

Roberto.