Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recorded Wavs /Hiss /Lossy to Lossy (Read 2341 times) previous topic - next topic

Recorded Wavs /Hiss /Lossy to Lossy

I recorded some of my best collection on songs from cassettes to wav using the latest edition of Polderbits Sound Recorder and Editor and a Sony Walkman for line input. I got amazing results using Polderbits. Now one problem troubles me is that at the beginning of the songs and at the end there is terrible hiss sounds , I tried using Wave Corrector 3 but its too teidious as it is not done in real time. Can anybody suggest a good pair of plugins where i can use with N-track or Goldwave to remove the hiss or any standalone sound App.
Secondly i want to convert all my files to Ogg and store them. But previously i have a collection of mp3s i wanna convert to ogg. But i heard it is not a good idea to use lossy compression from converting from one to another. So converting to Wav and then to Ogg will it solve my problem....and yes without losing any quality.
Lossless comressors are too bulky to store audio for future reference.
Kindly advise !

Recorded Wavs /Hiss /Lossy to Lossy

Reply #1
1) Sonic Foundry Noise Reduction is a good plugin to remove noise/tape hiss.  Also notice that using a walkman is not a good input source.  You might want to see if you can find a deck of higher quality

2) The process of going from one format to another is called transcoding.  You cannot go from one lossy format to another without losing quality.  It does not matter if you convert to wav in between.  That wav will only have the quality of the mp3, it cannot magically restore what has been lost in encoding to mp3.  I suggest you search the forums for "transcoding".  I'm sure you will find plenty of interesting material.  There is even a informal transcoding listening test.  It is best to keep the the mp3's you have and just from now on use ogg if it so suits you.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'