Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New VQF bitrates & DirectShow filter? (Read 3506 times) previous topic - next topic

New VQF bitrates & DirectShow filter?

I know VQF isn't exactly a format of interest for most users here. I had actually given up on the format myself (mostly use OggVorbis/MPC or LAME if MP3 is really necessary), but after downloading the Nero update (as mentioned in this thread Nero update ), and playing around with the encoders, I discovered that new bitrates for this format had been implemented (112, 128, 160 & 192 kbps).

I remember reading a thread in one of the VQF forums how it'd been great to have a DirectShow filter for this format so you could encode the audio in movies using this format. Wanting to try that myself, I couldn't find a VQF DirectShow filter anywhere; can anybody help?

Reply #1
Originally posted by kjempen
I remember reading a thread in one of the VQF forums how it'd been great to have a DirectShow filter for this format so you could encode the audio in movies using this format. Wanting to try that myself, I couldn't find a VQF DirectShow filter anywhere; can anybody help?
Have you tested the quality of higher bitrates, or do you just want to blindly use it?
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #2
LOL! Hell freezes over.

Will DalnetVQF and VQF.com be back?

Edit: BTW, VQF IST GOD!

Reply #3
Thank you for editing your post in a timely fashion to remind us how GODly VQF ist. May the naeked enc0ding grandmas watch over you.

Reply #4
Originally posted by JohnV
Have you tested the quality of higher bitrates, or do you just want to blindly use it?

Well, to test it was my intention (plus a possible serious use of this format). This is how I found out how much the Radium hacked FhG encoder sucked compared to LAME (between 80 & 192 kbps) -- I did a DVD backup (DivX + Radium FhG hack MP3) of Terminator and another movie, damn was I disappointed by the crappy audio quality! (The backup has now been redone using LAME for the audio.  ) I have a hard time listening for artifacts (on bitrates/encoders that I use) in the noisy music that I listen to, I find it easier to hear in the audio in movies.

I won't go below 128 kbps with LAME (well, actually, the --alt-preset 128 switch sometimes gives MP3 with an average bitrate a couple of bits below that, but that's acceptable), so I'm looking for a format where I can go below that bitrate and still get pretty good quality. OggVorbis does that, but I end up with filesizes bigger than first intended most of the time. That's why I'm trying to turn to 112 kbps VQF, or even 128 kbps VQF, if that's better than LAME MP3.

Oh well, I guess I could always try those problem samples supplied at ff123's pages for testing purposes. If I find the format worthy at those bitrates, the problem still remains though; is there a DirectShow filter for this format?

Reply #5
Originally posted by kjempen
Oh well, I guess I could always try those problem samples supplied at ff123's pages for testing purposes. If I find the format worthy at those bitrates, the problem still remains though; is there a DirectShow filter for this format?

Nope. But that would be feasible, since decoder sources are open.

BTW, have you tried to decode high bitrate VQFs with WinAmp VQF plugin by PP?

I would believe these new high bitrate modes break compatibility with old VQF decoders. Just a guess.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #6
It doesn't play them.
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Reply #7
Decoder sources for vqf are open?
Do you have any url? Until now, I only found sdk with static libraries to link with, but no source code.