Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Anyone know a lot about ID3 Tags? (Read 2876 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone know a lot about ID3 Tags?

I'm having some issues with my DVD Player and burning MP3 discs with
ID3 Tags.

I was excited when I first saw that my DVD Player could actually
display ID3 information, but now it's doing some strange things and I
don't know where to focus as to the problem.

I am using MP3Tag to create and edit the ID3 Tags.

I am assuming that my DVD Player can only read ID3 version 1 or 1.1
tags, so I am only inputing the SONG, ARTIST, ALBUM, and YEAR. I am
also using the COMMENT portion that just says "Encoded By Jeff
Brewer".

The only thing I'm not doing is inputing a GENRE. I don't really care
for using that aspect of ID3 Tags.

Sometimes, my DVD Player will display the GENRE as "Blues", even
though when I load it into a software that reads ID3 Tags, there is NO
GENRE at all!? Other strange things are:

1) Will not display the YEAR and the COMMENT from discs that I've been
burning lately, even though it reads & displays them fine on a disc of
MP3 Christmas music that I made over a year ago using EZ CD Creator.

2) One song it displays the album as "rBigdae" even though the
software reads it as the actual album which is "Brigade".

3) For one song titled "Drinking in L.A.", it reads the SONG as
"Drinking in L" and the artists as "A".  I'm guessing that I should not be
using periods in the Tag because it might confuse the player??

That's all I can remember for right now....

The MAIN thing that I am not understanding is why I can't get it to
display YEAR and COMMENT...and why it will sometimes show the GENRE as
being "Blues" even though I never associated one with any song!?

I am using NERO to burn the discs and I'm wondering if that has
something to do with it?? Is there any other good Freeware MP3 burning
software out there?

THANKS ALL!:)

PS  What characters are acceptable for ID3 Tags?  Because I can't get
dashes(-) or hyphens (') to display...instead the DVD Player just
displays an underscrore (_)...but it appears that all letters and
numbers work, as well as brackets...but no AND symbols (&)
either...anyone know?

Reply #1
All standard non-unicode characters are perfectly fine in an ID3 1.1 tag. ID3 version 1.1 HAS to have a genre tag (which is actually just a number, with each number having a pre-defined value. I believe 0 is blues, actually! If you don't like it, set them all to ROCK or something. Or you could just use ID3 v 2.3 as it doesn't have all the limitations, and may be less flaky with your player.

Reply #2
Sounds to me like you've got a DVD player that the company didn't test fully with ID3s (which one?), and it might be a problem that, if DVD playback is what you'll be listening to your music most on, you might need to just tag around the quirks, like the .'s... As for mixed up text, it could be a misread (does it happen consistantly?), or an error during your burn.

Reply #3
ID3 v1 and v1.1 tags are fixed type of tags, meaning that they don't have variable data in them. In other words, artist, trackname, album, tracknumber, genre, comments... these are always included in that tag whether you specify them or not. They all have to be there, leaving one out is equivalent to leaving it set to all blanks, or 0 for numeric tags.

As Jebus says, "Lo, and if thou declinest to use the Genre tag, then thou shall be smitten upon with the Blues Genre, as it be the default setting of zero for thine Genre tag."

So if you don't want Blues, fill it in with something else. Leaving it blank = Blues in ID3v1 and v1.1 and that's all there is to it.

Reply #4
As Jebus says, "Lo, and if thou declinest to use the Genre tag, then thou shall be smitten upon with the Blues Genre, as it be the default setting of zero for thine Genre tag."

I totally have to start speaking in biblical, thanks 

Reply #5
OK great!  Thanks guys!  I knew you would know the answers!

So just to clarify:

1) If I do not enter ANY "Genre" for ID3v1.1, it will automatically select BLUES?

If this is true, is it ALSO true that in some cases, it might not display past the "Genre"?  Because I always enter the "Year" and a "Comment", but a lot of times it will only display the "Title", "Artist" and "Album", even though I KNOW and have verified that it IS capable of displaying all six ID3v1.1 tag fields.

So I was thinking maybe if it doesn't see a "Genre", it won't bother displaying the "Year" and "Comment"??

And when you say "All standard non-unicode characters are perfectly fine..." does non-unicode characters include dashes, ampersands, periods, hyphens etc...?

THANKS AGAIN!:)