Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Compression ratio comparison! (Read 4562 times) previous topic - next topic

Compression ratio comparison!

My Plextor Premium arrived today, so here's the promised comparison of codecs. I used dbpoweramp to encode in WMA lossless, FLAC, Monkey Audio, and Wavpack.
Compression speeds obtained (AMD XP 2400+):
WMA: 23*
APE extra high: 21*
FLAC medium: 40*
FLAC high: 2.1*
Wavpack high quality: 32*
All quite fast enough, except for FLAC high, which curiously gave compression ratios somewhere between FLAC low and FLAC medium for the two tests I made of it. So FLAC high is out of the tests.

Test 1: Beethoven Piano Sonata no. 1 Allegro, Artur Schnabel, recorded some time between 1932 and 1935
wav: 33,585kb
wma: 11,066
FLAC low; med; high: 12,734; 11,566; 11,918
APE fast; normal; high; extra high: 10,812; 10,608; 10,586; 10,559
Wavpack: 10,834

Test 2: Beethoven string quartet no 1 in F major, adagio, Vegh Quartet, c. 1973
wav: 99696kb
wma: 45,107
FLAC (medium): 46,060
APE (extra high): 43,561
Wavpack (high quality): 45,346

Test 3: Bach Johannes Passion, Gardiner 1986 Choral: Wir hat dich so geschlagen
wav: 15,665
wma: 5,842
FLAC: 6,102
APE: 5,630
Wavpack: 5,786

Test 4: Mozart Symphony no 35 in D, Minuet-Trio, Boehm 1960
wav: 36,521
wma: 16,879
FLAC: 17,223
APE: 16,399
Wavpack: 16,834

The winner: APE. The competition between wavpack and WMA is close, but wavpack takes second place, WMA third, and FLAC loses. This is a clear ranking, with the same positions in all four tests. APE had similar ratios at all settings, and would still have won in fast mode.

Reply #1
Unless you're specifically comparing the dbPowerAmp plugins, this is a bad comparison.

First, the Monkey's Audio plugin has not been updated for MA 3.99.

Second, the Flac plugin on high compression mode is utter, utter crap.  Flac.exe using --best is about four times faster and compresses better.

Reply #2
True. There's something very wrong with the dbPowerAMP FLAC plugin. Maybe it was compiled with BCC? :B

Reply #3
why LA is not in this list or is it THE best? 
An err is human, I'm inhuman

Reply #4
LA isn't on the list because it's not supported by dbpoweramp (as far as I know). I think it offers the best compression (but worst speed).

Reply #5
Second, the Flac plugin on high compression mode is utter, utter crap.  Flac.exe using --best is about four times faster and compresses better.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=223980"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I found this. However medium compression I would think is similar to what you could get with flac.exe.

Reply #6
LA isn't on the list because it's not supported by dbpoweramp (as far as I know).[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True. Still, you might try to use dBpowerAMP's Create Generic CLI feature and point it to la.exe. Didn't work for me, though. After a couple of seconds of conversion, it returned this error:
Codec Error '
Lossless Audio Compressor
Version 0.4b, copyright Michael Bevin 2002-2004
Usage instructions ...
la [flags] input-filename [output-filename]
Flags
-high      - high compression mode - slower, but better compression
-overwrite - au
I got the same error message with whichever combination of command-line flags I tried, whereas the same flags didn't return the slightest error using [a href="http://members.home.nl/w.speek/multi.htm]Speek's Multi frontend[/url], and converted just fine. Which makes me conclude that the above error isn't due to the La executable, but to dBpowerAMP.

I think it offers the best compression (but worst speed).[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=224072"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Correct as far as La's superior compression ratio is concerned, but OptimFROG's highnew and extranew levels are still quite a bit slower than La in either default or high setting.