Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Phono Cartridge Recommendation? (Read 4323 times) previous topic - next topic

Phono Cartridge Recommendation?

I'm gonna be needing a new cartridge pretty soon.  What I'm looking for is something that will play older, more damaged records with less skips, clicks & pops (which I'm guessing translates to a cart. that can take a higher tracking weight, say 2->5 grams instead of the usual 1->1.5), yet isn't a DJ cartridge that cuts off at ~17KHz.  Any recommendations?

If not I'll just browse around (will probably find something) but wondering if anyone has anything specific in mind...

Reply #1
Ortophon OM Pro has a good reputation.

Reply #2
A lot depends on what type of vinyl you'll be dealing with;

LP's
Mono
Stereo
Pre 60's
45's
Not vinyl, but 78's

I've been playing/transfering vinyl for years, and have been using 6 or so cartridges, plus different styli to try and get the best playback for each type of record, and its' particular condition.

A good all rounder would be the Stanton 681 EEE Mkii. Stereohedron stylus. Also available for this body is the 6800SE stylus, a mild elliptical with a 2-4 gram tracking force, and the 6800A stylus, a 0.7mil conical with a 1-3 gram tracking force.

With these different styli, you'll be able to successfully play back most of the above selections, except 78's. Fear not however, there is a 78 stylus available for this series, it is the 6827.

There are other cartridge combo's available, but generally they  are better suited to vinyl in at least good condition.  A good buy for around $100 is the Audio Technica 440ML. Nice clear sound, excellent tracking, good alternative to Shure, and redily available.

Good Luck,

John

Reply #3
Thanks everyone...

Reply #4
At the SHURE.com website (yes im talking about dj-carts) have a look at
the "m-44g". Website says it doesnt cut at 17KHz. (but i could be wrong not understanding how frequency cut-offs work)

i'm recomending a dj cartridge cause higher priced (so called quality carts) are too
sensitive in my experience. they give good sound but also will let hear alot of the the tinyest little scratches on your record.
not really a pleasurable listening experience if you ever experienced such a cart.
the m-44g dont need alot of tracking force and thus have a real low record wear too(im planning on buying these soon)

dj-carts can have a good sonic output and i dont mean only the volume.
they can a little something to yer records.

old stantons (like the d-5107al-el) are good also, but a shame they been throen of the assembly line.
now you have these blue/purple 5100al carts that really suck! they also called broadcast needles. do not buy these !!

morelli
why does \'saving settings\' take about 3 minutes and my modem is working while shutting down my windows2000 ?

Reply #5
Wearing of records have little to do with tracking force.
For a given catridge, you'll have less wear with more tracking force, because it will prevent the tip to "jump" in the groove, which cause wearing, but it's a matter of manufacturing.
I had a magazine where they tested it. For about the same tracking force, some tips had the records "as white as snow", while other didn't wear the vinyl at all.

I had a Stanton Trackmaster. Both the AL and EL tip increases the background noise of some brand new records (it depends on the record too, must be the quality of the vinyl), after about 10 playbacks.
The Grado ZC didn't wear records at all, even after 50 playbacks (I left the end groove turning).
I remember that according to the magazine, the Ortofon Concorde didn't wear record either.

Reply #6
Originally posted by jdiamantis
There are other cartridge combo's available, but generally they  are better suited to vinyl in at least good condition.  A good buy for around 0 is the Audio Technica 440ML. Nice clear sound, excellent tracking, good alternative to Shure, and redily available.

Good Luck,

John

I saw the Audio Technica 440ML and it looks interesting... something to think about.

BTW thanks for the tip on the M44G morelli, I'm looking into it and it looks like street price is ~$50-$60... not bad.  Specs are something like what I'm looking for too.