Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HE-AAC questions - probably FAQ's (Read 3051 times) previous topic - next topic

HE-AAC questions - probably FAQ's

Hi,

I have a couple of simple HE-AAC questions. They seem like they should be FAQ's but I can't find the answers on HA or anywhere else, so here goes.

1. Is it possible to stream HE-AAC live, i.e from the line input of a soundcard, not pre-encoded files.

2. What other players except for Foobar support HE-AAC by default? It seems WMP and Winamp don't.

That's all - cheers,
dave

Reply #1
Winamp supports HE-AAC if you use the FAAD plugin.  The default one that comes with Winamp only supports LC

Reply #2
AND there is "CoreAAC" - DirectShow filter, that adds ability to play aac stream in any DS-player, maybe in WMP too? (He based on FAAD code too)
But, in that case its need to use mp4-container-filter, for example form 3ivx pack

Reply #3
This page may be helpful Software Audio Players for Windows - AudioCodingWiki

Tomcat, you beat me with the DShow filter.

Any directshow-capable player should handle the filters.

Media Player Classic for instance uses FAAD 2.
Also I'd assume Nero Media Player and Real Networks (possibly Helix?) decodes HE/AAC also.
Nero Media Player uses DShow filters I believe so using those to decode audio may be possible too. I can't check at the moment though.

Reply #4
1. Is it possible to stream HE-AAC live, i.e from the line input of a soundcard, not pre-encoded files.

I've wondered about this prospect for a while myself.

Reply #5

I've wondered about this prospect for a while myself. 

Technically yes, just no software yet to do so.