Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Odd behavior with FLAC commandline encoder (Read 1928 times) previous topic - next topic

Odd behavior with FLAC commandline encoder

Hello all.

I'm converting a large number of files to FLAC using fb2k and noticed a difference in filesize between a file created with fb2k's diskwriter and FLAC Frontend.

At first I thought the difference was simply because of tags added by foobar, but it remained even after I changed the tags option to "none".

I'm not using DSP, replaygain, or dithering the output.

I'm using FLAC 1.1.0, with a command line of "- -P 4096 -b 4608 -m -l 12 -e -q 0 -r 0,6 -V -o %d" entered into the fb2k diskwriter encoder parameters.  This is the same command line that FLAC Frontend was feeding to flac.exe.

The file that fb2k outputs is 20,141,264 bytes for a compression ratio of .5486.  The FLAC Frontend file is 20,119,718 bytes (.5480).  The decoded waves are the same in a bitcompare, and foobar reports that neither file has any tags.

I'm at a loss here.  Any ideas why flac.exe would output a different file based on the same parameters?  Is it something in foobar that I'm missing?

Odd behavior with FLAC commandline encoder

Reply #1
Yes.. it was something I was missing.. 

Checking the "encoder requires accurate length" box resulting in fb2k outputting the same file.  I suppose if you leave it unchecked it adds some padding of some kind?

Oh well, thanks for reading.