Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: What process is being used here in Sound Forge? (Read 4217 times) previous topic - next topic

What process is being used here in Sound Forge?

I have a project I'm working on and have a moron on the team who is threatened by anyone who even remotely has an opinion on sound issues. The project takes a sound sample and uses Sound Forge processing to make it sound more "radio-like".

I'm hoping an expert here might be willing to listen to two samples (a before and after) and let me know exactly what this guy did to get it to that point. Then we'd be able to provide the same process without having to go through him. It's a huge bottleneck because he's also extremely slow and always working on unreleated things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We've all had enough of this joker.

Reply #1
I'm hoping an expert here might be willing to listen to two samples (a before and after) and let me know exactly what this guy did to get it to that point. Then we'd be able to provide the same process without having to go through him. It's a huge bottleneck because he's also extremely slow and always working on unreleated things.

What's your budget for this service?

-- Rick
------- Rick -------
--------------------

Reply #2
Very funny. I'm donating my time for a low-budget effort and just thought someone would give a quick listen to the before and after and point me in the right direction. I'm just looking to figure out what effect or process was used to do this and then I'll take all the time to nail down the exact specifics.

I'd be more than glad to PayPal $1 for the effort.

Reply #3
well, tell us when you post before & after samples in the upload forum so we can all check it out
seanny.net

Reply #4
Done:

"Test files for SF Effect Test"

Didn't even realize we had an Upload forum. Sorry about that.

Reply #5
I know this is an audio forum, but i would like to give you some non-audio related advice..... get rid of this "joker" .

Good luck!

Reply #6
Believe me, I'd like to but in this case he doesn't report to me. If it was my team he'd be history. Unfortunately I think the only way to get rid of him is to show that what he's doing is not rocket science and then the person who is keeping him on the team will have no choice but to realize that he's not the wizard he thought he was.

Reply #7
In soundforge:
Effects/Distortion, Use one of the presets. Fuzz 1 and 2 sound nice. Play a little bit with the presets if you like.

You can tweak it a little bit more with cutting low frequencies with the EQ and maybe you can mix in some pink noise with Tools/Synthesis/Simple, select pink noise in waveform shape and then copy/paste mix in your sample (make sure your pink noise is the same length).

Get rid of this guy, soon...

cheers

Reply #8
echo,

Whatever he's done, he's able to apply it with Batch Converter to all 1200 samples (of varying length) equally.

I've come close to matching it using similar methods as you describe but then have to manually apply it to 1200 files. That's a worse bottleneck than dealing with the moron. <grin>

Whatever he's done here (sounds like an acoustic impulse of some sort) he can then apply in seconds to all files via the batch converter.

BTW, this is one of those morons that only has the support of the lead guy and who everyone else on the team hates with a passion. Since none of the rest of the team has any sound experience, they cannot refute his "expertise". I'm no expert either, but I'm experienced enough in the area to know it's not rocket science.

Reply #9
I'd definitely start with a hard low pass at 15k.  All stereo fm transmitters must do this to effectively remove any interference from the 19kHz pilot.  Then you can try compressing the shit out of everything else.
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Reply #10
I'd definitely start with a hard low pass at 15k.  All stereo fm transmitters must do this to effectively remove any interference from the 19kHz pilot.  Then you can try compressing the shit out of everything else.

you should listen to the before/after samples in the upload forum.  We're not talking about music broadcast radio, but the walkie-talkie type you hear in war videogames.

I''ll give my opinion about how the sound was made too, but it's just an echo of what, um.. Echo said.

Heavy EQ (sharp lowpass & highpass, maybe a midrange hump somewhere), distortion, perhaps introduce some noise if needed, and finally a noise gate of sorts.
seanny.net

Reply #11
Whatever he's done, he's able to apply it with Batch Converter to all 1200 samples (of varying length) equally.

I've come close to matching it using similar methods as you describe but then have to manually apply it to 1200 files. That's a worse bottleneck than dealing with the moron. <grin>

Whatever he's done here (sounds like an acoustic impulse of some sort) he can then apply in seconds to all files via the batch converter.

So why can't you use Batch Converter? Once you have determined exactly what you should do to reproduce this effect it wouldn't be a problem to pass the settings to Batch Converter I think... I don't remember how exactly it works right now but I think it's not that hard.

Reply #12
Great! I haven't used BC in MANY years so I'll just have to get back up to speed on it again.

Reply #14
"Radio" seems to not be available.

Reply #16
Are you sure he's using Sound Forge? Or is that the tool you have available to use?  Because it's pretty easy to make a more convincing (in my opinion) scratchy combat-radio sound in CEP/Audition, if you have that available to use.  I could send you some samples or settings if you'd like to hear them.

Reply #17
He only has Sound Forge. That much I know. The other issue is that the users really like the way he's gotten the example I posted to sound. They're often pilots or ATC people themselves so the effect you hear is based directly on their feedback.

However, I'd love to hear a sample if you wouldn't mind.

How do you get the plug-in to show? I dropped the DLL into the folder with all the other plug-ins but nothing is appearing to allow access to it.

It's in \Sony\Shared Plug-Ins\Audio

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020