Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: REQ: Mass ID3-Tag-Editor (Read 5051 times) previous topic - next topic

REQ: Mass ID3-Tag-Editor

Hi folks,

I will soon start to encode more than 1,000 CDs to MP3. I decided to do the ripping by day (EAC) and encode by night (RazorLame). Thus I will be able to use my computer as normal during the daytimes and have it encode at full speed when I do not use it.

Unfortunately RazorLame does not create ID3-Tags. Thus, I´m looking for a Tool that will

a) recursively search my e:new_mp3-directory and the folders contained there for mp3s
b) create id 3-tags (1.1 and if possible 2.3) from the filenames (artist, title) and the folder  (cd-name)

As this forum would not let me search for "id3" (search term too short) I do not know whether anything on this issue has already been posted.

TIA

Campari

Reply #1
you can search for id3 by searching id3*
you can search for tag by searching tag*

for your second task you can use this program: http://home.wanadoo.nl/~w.speek/tag.htm

Reply #2
Thanks for the help. It seems to be a great tool, unfortunately without V2.3-Editing.

Reply #3
Yeah I used to have this same problem... but now I have everything done for me in one step!

This probably doesn't meet your requirements, as you want to encode at night... but encoding doesn't slow down my system at all (duron 800) so you might be flexible and try this...

In EAC, I set it up to encode my files for me. There are some options that might be of interest to you.

Under EAC Options, in the Tools tab...
turn on "On extraction, start external compressors queued in the background"
and you want to use only 1 thread at a time.
you can also make it so that you don't see the console window during encoding.

under the Filename tab, you can specify the naming convention you want

now, under Compression Options, go to the External Compression tab... we're going to do something a little weird here.

for the Parameter Passing Scheme, select "User Defined Encoder", because we want to use some of the advanced options without EAC interfering.

file extension should be .mp3 of course
select your path to the LAME.exe file... i practically never use RazorLame now

now, these are the command line options i am using
%s %d --alt-preset fast standard -b96 --scale 0.98 --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n"

%s - source file name
%d - destination file name (we need these for the user defined encoder)
--alt-preset fast standard, -b96, --scale 0.98 ... all of these are my prefered options, use whatever you lik here, of course

I personally love id3v2, and hate v1... so:
--id3v2-only ... this disables Lame's default useage of ID3v1
--pad-id3v2 ... gives some extra empty space in the tag so you can change tags without having to completely rewrite the file.

--tt "%t" - set the title tag to the title defined for the song by EAC
--ta "%a" - for the artist
--tl "%g" - for the album
--ty "%y" - for the year
--tn "%n" - for the track number ... this doesn't use leading 0s in the tag, only in the filename

there are more id3v2 options, but these are the ones i like.

hope this is helpful!

Reply #4
Originally posted by campari212
Thanks for the help. It seems to be a great tool, unfortunately without V2.3-Editing.

Thanks. The sources are published, if you really, really want ID3v2 writing all you need to do is call couple of update commands and it could write them. But I won't enable this, sorry.

Reply #5
use Lameb to encode, it writes the tags automatically too....
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time!

Reply #6
Tried to download Lameb but the website is down. Could anyone mail it to me (tik at gmx.de)?

Reply #7
Originally posted by paranoos
This probably doesn't meet your requirements, as you want to encode at night... but encoding doesn't slow down my system at all (duron 800) so you might be flexible and try this...

Thanks. After all, I own a P4@2,1 GHz, but I do a lot of Video Editing during Daytimes, so I cannot encode MP3s at the same time.

%s %d --alt-preset fast standard -b96 --scale 0.98 --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n"

Given that, how about entering the same command-line in RazorLame? Shouldn´t it create ID3-Tags then?

Reply #8
Tried to download Lameb but the website is down. Could anyone mail it to me (tik at gmx.de)?

ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/gtaylor/lamepackage3-9-02.zip

lameb, eac, lame.... the last 2 are outdated but its the only link for lameb....
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time!

Reply #9
Got It!

Thanks again :-)

Reply #10

Given that, how about entering the same command-line in RazorLame? Shouldn´t it create ID3-Tags then?

Of course you can add information to the Tags with RazorLame Frontend + LAME itself, but unfortunately Razorlame doesn't know the variables in your commandline.
You could assign a text string to an ID3-Tag field, but without variables, something like
--tc "Hello everybody out there! Don't use anything else than LAME with the --alt-presets to encode your music"[/b] :spank:
[edit: if you really want or have to use the mp3 format]

Another dirty solution is to do it with EAC and compression in the backround as campari212 mentioned before.
Did you know that since EAC 0.9beta you can close EAC and run it again later on, it will remember all the compression tasks it has to do.
So you could just rip all your stuff during the day, while EAC will start encoding the first tracks, when you have finished ripping all your CDs just close EAC and run it again before you go to bed :sleeping: !

Sleep peacefully and let EAC work for you!
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Reply #11
cool, quellcore... i didn't know about that
yeah EAC makes the tags based on information it gets from the CDDB server, which RazorLame doesn't have access to... so that's why you can't do it.