Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Internet2 already used by file swappers (Read 4610 times) previous topic - next topic

Internet2 already used by file swappers

Yes, that's correct - 6.25 GIGABYTES per second!  College kids are already taking advantage of the bandwidth for fileswapping.  No doubt .mp3s are part of it, but at this speed, entire CD's in non-compressed .wav format would arrive in your mailbox in under a second.

Internet2

Reply #1
I always wondered how numbers like 6.25GB/s is calculated... no HD can write that fast anyway so what does it actually mean?

Reply #2
Like all great marketing, trying to get someone to believe that buying a pinto is like buying a farrari.
My personal favorite is loadspeakers, some $20 speakers that can pump out 1200W of power!- The same power as a dryer through some 20AWG zip wire! Tesla is turning in his grave for not figuring that one out 

I wonder if hotmail would increase my mailbox to 6.5GB? 

Reply #3
actually its not 6.25GB/sec...  person writing article doesn't know the difference between b and B.  record was 6.25Gb/sec  bits not bytes.

Reply #4
http://sravot.home.cern.ch/sravot/Networki...10GbE_test.html

neat stuff, it's also not all marketing bs, GbE was marking bs a fwe years ago, you can find it everywhere now, soon as pci express comes along and gets rid of lame 133MB/sec pci bus  you'll be able to set up some neat home lans if you want pretty cheaply.

Reply #5
Actualy I checked that out a little while ago, and GbE is not everywhere (my A7N8X can vouch for that!)
However the problem you will run into is that one great feature of GbE is called jumbo frames which can really increase throughput, and there exists only one switch (under $200) which supports this.
There are many that feel that getting GbE without jumbo support is not worth it and yet almost all NICs support it but only 1 switch 

No doubt 6.25GB internet will be available someday however 1200W speakers from little 3" speakers I think might be breaking a few laws of physics for the near future

Reply #6
Well, you can always set up a raid

All of this is just bad news for hollywood
(and good news for anybody else, HEY! We are getting exposed to non american movies! Yay! )

On the other hand, it would be cool not having to wait that long for all those Debian images to download...
She is waiting in the air

Reply #7
Well, you can always set up a raid

All of this is just bad news for hollywood

On the other hand, it would be cool not having to wait that long for all those Debian images to download...

Yep, http://linux.dsi.internet2.edu/ is great!  I've seen download speeds of over 12 MB/s, and that was limited only by the 100 megabit connection we were on.  Will have to try again on gigabit someday when I remember to.

Reply #8
(and good news for anybody else, HEY! We are getting exposed to non american movies! Yay! )

damn right...  ever see "Ong Bak"? (Thai martial arts, made last year i think)  it's the best action/fighting movie i've seen in ages, but wont be released for a very long time because some french git bought the worldwide rights to it and wants to just sit on it.

it's only available as a fansub... now there's potential money out there for this kind of thing, but stupid gits just buy the rights and sit on them.  grrrrr.

hmm... 6 gigabits huh?  damn.  it kind of flips me out the amount of data we have access to.  storage and speed keeps increasing, and compression technologies keep improving...  we can put more on a CD now then we ever have been able to in the past.

so much room for cultural expansion, but most of it is taken up with britney poop.  what's that say about human nature?  i'm not sure.

Reply #9
Yes, that's correct - 6.25 GIGABYTES per second!  College kids are already taking advantage of the bandwidth for fileswapping.  No doubt .mp3s are part of it, but at this speed, entire CD's in non-compressed .wav format would arrive in your mailbox in under a second.

Internet2

Thats nothing, according to the New York Times, BT is 10% of internet2 traffic 

Reply #10
soon as pci express comes along and gets rid of lame 133MB/sec pci bus  you'll be able to set up some neat home lans if you want pretty cheaply.

Basic HD's gives only about 60MB/s, so the PCI bus is not bigest limitter after all.

Reply #11
soon as pci express comes along and gets rid of lame 133MB/sec pci bus  you'll be able to set up some neat home lans if you want pretty cheaply.

Basic HD's gives only about 60MB/s, so the PCI bus is not bigest limitter after all.

No need to wait for PCI express 

I made a server with sustained 280 MB/s (MBytes) reading speed.  Using a raid array and PCI-X (not pci express) cards is enough..

Reply #12
Insane speed...

damn. I hope this gets implemented into spymac or similar email services.