Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Largest replay gain (Read 8358 times) previous topic - next topic

Largest replay gain

So, what's the largest (or rather, smallest, since we're dealing with negative numbers) replay gain you've seen? What track is really giving all they've got to the loudness war?

For me, it's 12 Rods - Summertime Vertigo, with a whopping -12dB Track gain.

Largest replay gain

Reply #1
Track gains:
Largest negative I've gotten is also -12 db, for "Kettobase" by Utada Hikaru.
Positive: +23.42 for "Antemezzo" by PDQ Bach, although I'm fairly certain it's a "joke" track.
Positive (not considering PDQ Bach): JS Bach's "Minuet in G Major, BWV Anh. 116" at +20.13.

Album gains:
Negative: -10.05 from "Greatest Hits" by Misia.
Positive: +3 from Gottschalk's "The Lady Fainted" (I really expected more here).

Looking at my playlist, my Japanese music is trouncing the American stuff, although this could be because the Japanese music I have is newer on average.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

Largest replay gain

Reply #2
Largest negative I've spotted so far is The Mars Volta - Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt as it has a track gain of -13.09dB and an album gain of -11.80dB. It's a shame cuz its a great track/album, just very painful when not RG'd. 

Largest replay gain

Reply #3
The largest file of mine is;  山内恵美子 - 太陽は泣いている from 筒美京平ULTRA BEST TRACKS SOUL&DISCO(track_gain = -12.11 dB)
I cropped some tracks from this album for listening tests. (ie. hustlejet, drdragon etc.)

Largest replay gain

Reply #4
I have not done much very much RGing, but the most of those  so far  Would be Christina Aguilera's Stripped CD.
Track 6 picked at random - Infatuation: replaygain_track_gain = -11.27 dB
Entire album: replaygain_album_gain = -11.40 dB

Largest replay gain

Reply #5
Sadly, I once saw an album gain of -13.5 in mp3gain. I can't recall what the album was,  unfortunately, though it was newish rock of some sort. Albums such as this are much, much nicer to listen to after replaygaining. ...It might have been Melt Banana's "Cell Scape", but I'm not sure.

Largest replay gain

Reply #6
replaygain_track_gain = -14.28 dB
replaygain_track_peak = 1.328050

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Parallel Universe

Taken from their "Californication" album, which gets -12.97 dB album gain...

Largest replay gain

Reply #7
Wow, I've gotta get Californication. It must be an awesome album, since it's so loud.

Largest replay gain

Reply #8
Wow, I've gotta get Californication. It must be an awesome album, since it's so loud.

Yep, Californication is the loudest in my collection.  Such a shame records are pushed to these limits to acheive the highest volume and not quality.

Largest replay gain

Reply #9
Hmm, I see there are not a lot of people here who listen to Breakcore/Speedcore/Hardcore:

Venetian Snares + Speedranch - [Making Orange Things #07] - Molly's Reach Around

replaygain_track_gain = -18.56 dB
replaygain_track_peak = 1.503330
replaygain_album_gain = -17.80 dB
replaygain_album_peak = 1.981668

-> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6136

Largest replay gain

Reply #10
Highest replaygain I have on a "joke track" is from Meshuggah's Chaosphere. The "Elastic" track has a replaygain of -15.58dB, due to some strange noise effect they use for five minutes.

For an album, I have an odd one by the Flaming Lips called Zaireeka. It's a four-CD album, but you're supposed to play all four discs at once on separate CD players. A few of the discs reported a -13.5dB track gain in MP3Gain, and actually needed -6dB of attenuation just to stop clipping! Foobar reports track gains of up to -14.00dB and an album peak of 1.717159. I think it's the shaped white noise that brings the gain up so high.

Well, maybe Zaireeka is a "joke album" that shouldn't count, either. My vote for "most inappropriately loud album" is still Californication.

Largest replay gain

Reply #11
I think (and i certainly hope) there isn't an album out there louder than the 1997 remaster of Iggy and the Stooges' Raw Power.

-16.74 dB !!!

damn it sounds bad. Sort of suits the material on the disc, but damn!

Largest replay gain

Reply #12

OMG! 

I'm feeling lucky the highest one I've got is
replaygain_track_gain = -9.49 dB
replaygain_album_gain = -9.09 dB
It's the latest album from Dream Theater, Train of thought.

regards
echo

edit: Now that I think of it, I do have Californication somewhere on CD. I just never ripped it. 

Largest replay gain

Reply #13
I think (and i certainly hope) there isn't an album out there louder than the 1997 remaster of Iggy and the Stooges' Raw Power.

-16.74 dB !!!

damn it sounds bad. Sort of suits the material on the disc, but damn!

Two posts up, dude:

Hmm, I see there are not a lot of people here who listen to Breakcore/Speedcore/Hardcore:

Venetian Snares + Speedranch - [Making Orange Things #07] - Molly's Reach Around

replaygain_track_peak = 1.503330
replaygain_album_gain = -17.80 dB
replaygain_album_peak = 1.981668

-> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6136

Granted, some people wouldn't call Venetian Snares (especially this album) music.  I, however, think it is damn good music!
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Largest replay gain

Reply #14

OMG! 

I'm feeling lucky the highest one I've got is
replaygain_track_gain = -9.49 dB
replaygain_album_gain = -9.09 dB
It's the latest album from Dream Theater, Train of thought.

regards
echo

Don't feel that lucky, dude.  This album is supposed to sound that way, its art, and I like it.

Largest replay gain

Reply #15
Well fine then, you win

The Stooges example is especially shocking though because of what they did to a 1973 recording. It was never intented to sound that way, or recorded in such a way that would make it work.

Largest replay gain

Reply #16
largest (positive) albumgain-value i found yet:

Ashera - Cobalt 144
AlbumGain: +8.39 dB

From the same album, Track #12 "In Fifth Densities"
TrackGain: +17.64 dB

Its an ambient-album - one of the genres where the "music" (if one can call ambient "music") would sound really awfull if it would be compressed. Additionally, "Ashera" is an artist who has a reputation of being very quiet and silent.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Largest replay gain

Reply #17
'Happy Jonday' from 'This Provincial Life Is Killing Me' by 'American Head'

replay gain -22.13

its awful

Largest replay gain

Reply #18
Don't feel that lucky, dude.  This album is supposed to sound that way, its art, and I like it.

I didn't say I didn't like it!    The music is absolutely a masterpiece. Still IMO it's the worst sounding Dream Theater album until now sound-engineering-wise.

regards
echo

Largest replay gain

Reply #19
Maybe the highest possible replaygain value :
-24.04 db : Got on a full scale square wave of 3400 Hz (watch your ears !)

Worth mentionning :
+18.00 db : Jim O'Rourke - Mere part 3, from the Disengage CD. This is electroacoustic ambient music (and very beautiful, very slow and subtle).

Some very surprising RG values :

-11.55 db from Indochine - L'Aventurier, from the Unita compilation. Though the RG value is very strong, the track sound very clean and quite dynamic !

-1.06 db album gain for Artrosis - Melange. Unusual for a metal band recorded in 2002 ! This one has a very odd sound, though. They intentionally pushed low frequencies very loud.

Largest replay gain

Reply #20
Largest positive value in my collection is Pink Floyd, The Wall:
+21.58 dB |  2677 (32110)| 13 Outside the Wall.mpc

Largest replay gain

Reply #21

Wow!  Would you please post this sample?  I want to hear it.

I was thinking, though, couldn't you get a higher value by doing this at multiple frequencies, maybe the best being all frequencies, instead of just 3400Hz?

Largest replay gain

Reply #22
I'm surprised I found a few that rank so highly (and lowly):

Merzbow, "I Lead You Towards Glorious Times", from "Venereology": -20.89

Album Gain on "Venereology": -20.30

Karlheinz Stockhausen, "Part 56", from "Hymnen - Anthems": +34.79

(I have a few in the +64 range, but they're supposed to be "silence", so I don't consider them valid entries).

Largest replay gain

Reply #23

Wow!  Would you please post this sample?  I want to hear it.

I was thinking, though, couldn't you get a higher value by doing this at multiple frequencies, maybe the best being all frequencies, instead of just 3400Hz?

in foobar2000 --> Add Location --> 'tone://3500'
No, AFAIK the replaygain scale is based on a 3500Hz sine wave so that's pretty much the max.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Largest replay gain

Reply #24
my highest was -9.something odd dB on the k-pop song Dreams Come True by SES. OTOH, SES i think is a main, mainstream k-pop band of britney-like status in korea. but yeah, as someone else put it (something similar to..) it doesn't just kiss the Clip indicator, it spanks it...

http://plonkmedia.com/temp/dreamscometrue.png

(however, that is to say i don't mp3gain much; i've just recently become aware of it and play with it every once in a while out of curiosity more than use it. i may use it once i get my own place and own stereo equipment. here and now i can't hear much of a difference over the roar of my computer as it is)