Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3Gain Error (Read 5151 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3Gain Error

I'm getting an error in MP3Gain when 'Radio Analysing' a file I cut using MP3Direct cut.

"Error 91 in txtProgWatch_Change(MP3Gain): Objectvariable or With block variable not set"

The error dialog occurs twice - and if I click 'OK' the analysis completes - but I haven't applied the gain in case it spoils the file.

Any ideas what is causing the error ? File was encoded at 160 ABR, is 31 minutes long and I have listened through it once without hearing any audible defects.

ß

MP3Gain Error

Reply #2
This is not a MP3gain error I suppose. If I remember well mp3directcut tends to cause file corruption especially with vbr files.
You could test your file first with mp3utility:
Mp3 utility homepage

MP3Gain Error

Reply #3
Thanks Hanky - here's the log....

Processing: D:Mozart~Clarinet Quintet In A major.mp3

No errors found.
Summary: 71,673 total frames processed (0 padded, 71,673 unpadded).  Bitrate is constant.

I guess it claims CBR because the Xing header is missing - it would be nice if MP3Directcut could grab this and stick it back on a saved selection 

Anyway I'm relieved the file is OK - it's a recording not available commercially. I'll apply the gain to a copy - just to be safe.

ß

MP3Gain Error

Reply #4
Originally posted by britannica
I'm getting an error in MP3Gain when 'Radio Analysing' a file I cut using MP3Direct cut. 

"Error 91 in txtProgWatch_Change(MP3Gain): Objectvariable or With block variable not set"

Shoot. I thought I had all those bugs worked out. This is just the part of the program that updates the File Progress bar, so it shouldn't... oh, wait.
...thinking... thinking...

Can you do me a favor? The simplest thing would be for you to post that mp3 somewhere I could download it and experiment with it.
If you can't/won't do that, can you help me debug remotely?
Step 1 would be to run the command-line mp3gain.exe on that file and let me know if any weird messages show up.
Step 2 would be to use a customized version of the GUI that will spit out extra information in that particular subroutine.
You can do step 1 right now, but obviously step 2 would require me adding the debugging code to the GUI and sending the modified version to you...

-Glen

P.S.: cd-rw.org, at least one person has told me that they did 11,000 files at once and didn't have a problem. Even though I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing that many at once  , I'm curious about what problems you had.

MP3Gain Error

Reply #5
Snelg,

I tried to Gain my MP3 collection on the HD. This is few gigs, few hudreds of files. Several attempts failed. Gain was able to analyse the files but it crashed when moving up & down the list.

Windows2000sp1

MP3Gain Error

Reply #6
Gain was able to analyse the files but it crashed when moving up & down the list.

You wouldn't happen to have some of the actual error messages, would you?
If it was an error internal to mp3gain, then it should have spit it out to a .log file in the same directory as the .exe file.
If it was some screwy Windows fatal error, then the error wouldn't be recorded by mp3gain.

-Glen

MP3Gain Error

Reply #7
The log information is not very helpful:

4.6.2002 13:12:54   Error running mp3gain

I will see if I find time to reproduce the error - it takes hours to analyze such amount of files and I've been reducing my HD collection in the last few days.

MP3Gain Error

Reply #8
The log information is not very helpful:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.6.2002 13:12:54 Error running mp3gain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heh. You're right, that isn't very useful.... oh, wait. It actually is just a little bit useful: what that actually means is, "Error running mp3gain.exe", which is the back end. The GUI is saying, "I got an unexpected error returned from the back end while processing one of the mp3 files, but I'm not sure what the error was."
I should have appended the filename of the current mp3 to that error message. That would have given the user (and me) something to work with.

...oh, wait again. That message is a handled error. The fact that it's in the log means you had the error log specified. You never would have seen that error while running mp3gain. If the GUI actually crashed, then the crashing error wouldn't be in the error log you specified in the "Options->Logs..." window. When the GUI has a real problem, if it's able to write out an error it always writes it to "MP3 Gain Analysis.log" (unless you've changed the file name of the GUI to something besides "MP3 Gain Analysis.exe").

So we're back to square one. Ah, well.

-Glen

MP3Gain Error

Reply #9
Originally posted by Snelg

Step 1 would be to run the command-line mp3gain.exe on that file and let me know if any weird messages show up.

I did that and got no errors.

However the GUI errors were perhaps an early warning  I susbsequently started getting vmm.vxd errors all over the place- turns out the cpu fan was on the blink. Since replacing it I can't reproduce the error in the GUI on that file or any other 

Sorry to have raised a false alarm....and thanks for a _really_ useful utility.

ß