Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: multiple tags per file (Read 3275 times) previous topic - next topic

multiple tags per file

Hi there !

I noticed that FooBar2K prefers to write APE tags even for MP3.
That is IMHO a problem when using other software like the MusicBrainz Tagger, that only seems to write ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags - not touching the APE tag.
So, FooBar does not display the corrected tag values anymore just the old APE tag...

Is there a good solution for this problem ?

bye,
Sebi

multiple tags per file

Reply #1
Yes.... Get the foo_id3v3 plugin, then configure fb2k to use ID3v1 and/or ID3v2 (in the Preferences->Playback->Input->Standard Inputs).
Santa is very jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live.  - Dennis Miller

multiple tags per file

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.
I was too blind for finding the MP3 tag writing settings in the Standard inputs menu.

Anyway, is it possible to find out what kind of tags are attached to an MP3 file and/or convert between them (using fb2k) ?

bye,
Sebi

multiple tags per file

Reply #3
No there's no way of seeing what kind of tags there are in your mp3s. The conversion is still easy: just select the wanted tag type (in standard inputs), select your files and select database|rewrite file tags from database.

multiple tags per file

Reply #4
I've found a related problem with multiple tags in files.  When using FB2K to apply ReplyGain on files that already have an APE tag made by MP3Gain, the existing ID3v1 tag following it gets wiped out.  And FB2k doesn't retain and write any of the ID3v1 tags into its APE tag.  This happens with both 'APEv2 tags only' or 'APEv2 and ID3v1' configured. 

I'd like to run RG on my entire library, but would like to avoid loosing those tags.

Has any solution been worked out for detecting files with MP3Gain APE tags, and dealing with the problem?
Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man

multiple tags per file

Reply #5
When using FB2K to apply ReplyGain on files that already have an APE tag made by MP3Gain, the existing ID3v1 tag following it gets wiped out.

Opening up files in a hex editor, I can see that neither MP3Gain nor FB2K completely strips the APE gain tags they had written when running an undo for tags in both apps.  So when running undo in MP3Gain, and then running RG in FB2K, the ID3v1 tag still gets wiped out.  This ends up with neither an APE nor an ID3v1 tag that FB2K can display.

I can mark a block for the beginning and end of the MP3Gain APE tags, and the delete them.  That leaves the MP3's ID3v1 tag and the rest of the MP3 cleaned up enough to run RG in FB2K which retains a valid ID3v1 tag, as well as producing an APE tag with tag info gleaned from the ID3v2 tag.    But stripping MP3Gain APE tags for all the files in my library that way is a bit tedious.

Have searched Hydrogen for info on using FB2K or any other software to complete strip all reminents of APE tags, but haven't tracked anything down as yet.

multiple tags per file

Reply #6
MP3Gain bug and/or misfeature. When creating a new APE tag for undo data, it does not bother to fill it with the information from existing ID3 tags. It assumes that no relevant audio player will even notice the APE tag, or will automatically retrieve all relevant data from all present tags.

Supporting this properly in Foobar2000 would mean that it would need to combine all present tags, and it would have to use some algorithm to guess which duplicates are truncated versions of values present in other tags. I know some tagging utilities don't flat out truncate, but instead add ellipses to each truncated string.

multiple tags per file

Reply #7
Supporting this properly in Foobar2000 would mean that it would need to combine all present tags, and it would have to use some algorithm to guess which duplicates are truncated versions of values present in other tags.

Whether or not other tags exist is one issue. The specific problem of FB2K wiping out an existing ID3v1 tag when it creates APE tags where existing APE tag info already exists... would seem to be a different issue. Wouldn't it be a relatively minor tweak to have FB2K look for the ID2v1 tag, then for an APE tag, and then avoid writing over or deleting the ID3v1 tag?

If FB2k is in fact wiping out data for other tag types put at the end of files, wouldn't it just be a matter of searching for the specific header and footer of each tag set, and writing code to avoid deleting or overwriting it?