Skip to main content
Topic: New EncSpot like app (Read 47717 times) previous topic - next topic

New EncSpot like app

OK, here is a little something I hacked together during the weekend. I just got tired waiting for an EncSpot replacement, so I thought I might as well start one myself.
Basically, all I wanted was a tool that would show me the average bitrate of a folder after I rip an album and the encoder settings used. It should work pretty well for most files, except for non Lame encoded mp3 files. The non Lame encoder mp3 detection is not as accurate as EncSpot, but for Lame encoded files it should work pretty well because it uses phwip's Lame Tag reading code so it can guess the encoding settings/preset used.

Okay, what else... Oh, no shell integration yet, but you can pass a file from the commandline and it will open the directory where the file is located. So you can place a shortcut on the desktop and drop a file on it, or call it from the "Open with" right click menu.
Sources are included, so you are welcome to add whatever you want
Enough talk, better you try it yourself, hopefully you like it.

Download:
http://www.apehaus.com/burrrn/mrquestionman01.rar

Greets, Gambit

P.S.: We can still talk about the name, it's not final

New EncSpot like app

Reply #2
My Grandmama Loves Mr QuestionMan !!!

This tool display the Encoder Version & Setting of OGG-MPC-APE-FLAC (Only Encoder for FLAC due to the great profiles we have for flac ...)

... no more massive boring open/right click/file info to display the info from gigs of MPC ! ... specially great to be sure all songs from an MPC rip are all at the same setting ...
Thanks a lot ! Personnaly I am gonna use it for MPC a bit like I use VorbisExt for Ogg !

Hope the tool gets even better !!! specially in the MP3/Encspot Like area even if I don't use MP3

New EncSpot like app

Reply #3
Another nice tool, Gambit!
Thanks for your work.

New EncSpot like app

Reply #4
Nice try really.Did few tests and it guessed accurately 
Anyway a bit o/t but somebody know of some plugin for foobar which can do same as enc-spot or this nice app for guesing mp3s as foobar is already accurate and gives all info about other audio files formats.

New EncSpot like app

Reply #5
mp4 support ?
Sven Bent - Denmark

New EncSpot like app

Reply #6
Wonderful, this is right what I've been looking for a long time. Thanks for your efforts!

Additional features like reporting (html, csv ..), extended info and .. well .. basically everything that MAC 2.92 offers would be great. So .. since MAC is now open source as well, I would _love_ to see those two married - if that is possible (I've just seen in MrQuestionman's source that you have taken some tables from Jürgen Faul).

However, keep up the good work!

Sven

New EncSpot like app

Reply #7
Really nice app!

one curious question: Do you plan command-line version (I got used to encspot command-line version

New EncSpot like app

Reply #8
thx gambit, really nice program 

New EncSpot like app

Reply #9
Nice start indeed!
perhaps you should have a look at the discussion here if you are interested in a more accurate guessing program:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....wtopic=11785&hl

I saw that, I even mailed and PMed Feltzkrone and because he did not respond I decided to go ahead on my own.

one curious question: Do you plan command-line version (I got used to encspot command-line version

No.

New EncSpot like app

Reply #10
I like the 'No shit!' button.

New EncSpot like app

Reply #11
This is great.

One small request: when I am viewing an mp3 file the Encoder Info doesn't all fit in that column, and I don't have enough screen space to expand the column.  This is no problem of course, because when I hold the mouse over there it pops up with a tooltip displaying the contents of this box.  However, the tooltip is aligned with the box underneath it, so on my PC I can't see all of the text in this either because it goes off the right hand edge of the screen.  Is there any chance you could make the tooltips right-align with the right hand edge of the screen if they are wide enough that they would otherwise go off-screen?

New EncSpot like app

Reply #12
Bug report: if you switch between directories quite quickly, then you can get an "array index out of bounds" error. (Maybe this is not the exact name).

This is probably when you choose a directory which has less entries than the actual one, and the entries for the actual were not yet calculated, so the prog tries to do it for the new dir. (MAYBE) 

Great app, though 

BTW, why does it give e.g. "preset-standard (guess)" and "not stored"? In the second case QuestionMan can't even guess, while in the first it can?
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

New EncSpot like app

Reply #13
Is MrAnwerMan's (Edit: Mr QuestionMan ... dyslexia strikes again) readout of Lame settings used contingent on the version of Lame used?  The only thing it's showing after the Lame version in the 'Encoder Info' column for my library of 3.90.3 encoded MP3s is: '<not stored>'

Also, Mr QuestionMan doesn't access other drives on a network via Windows' Network Neighborhood.

It's also not reporting bitrates accurately for FhG (fastenc) MP3s.  I'm seeing all 32kbps bitrates for VBR encoded files that EncSpot reports a range of averages from 130kbps to 146kbps.

Great concept!  Wish it'd work for me. 
Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man

New EncSpot like app

Reply #14
It would be great if you could add the option to parse subdirectories. I'm really curious about the average bitrate of all my music.
-CyberInferno

New EncSpot like app

Reply #15
Wow this tool looks great.

Very fast too, much faster than EncSpot, I think.

(Where's the "No Shit" button?)

New EncSpot like app

Reply #16
(Where's the "No Shit" button?)

About box.

New EncSpot like app

Reply #17
very nice, i like, fast scanning
Chaintech AV-710

New EncSpot like app

Reply #18
Amazing!  I tested my Samples folder, which countains Tool - Schism in wav and encoded in:

Ogg Vorbis (GT3b1) -q6
LAME 3.90.3 @ --alt-preset standard
WMA Lossless (which it couldn't detect)
WMA Pro @ Some stupid setting . . . I think 98% VBR or whatever M$ calls it
PsyTEL AAC
Monkey's Audio @ Extra High
FLAC @ -q8
Musepack 1.14 @ --quality 5
Nero AAC (Transparent LC and Streaming HE)
OptimFROG @ bestnew
and WavPack @ I don't remember (probably the highest ratio that isn't stupidly high)

The only encoders it couldn't guess were WMA lossless and Nero AAC (I guess it can't read MPEG4 containers yet) And the only encoders it didn't get settings for were WMA Pro, Psytel AAC (although it got LC), FLAC, and WavPack.  Excellent app Gambit.

P.S.  I like the "Shame on you for using WMA files!" message

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']edit: typos[/span]
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

New EncSpot like app

Reply #19
great app - many thanks gambit

I really like the no-bs interface, only showing the most important info, contrary to lametag which i used before but with which i always had to search for the interesting stuff inside all of the data-overkill.

I understand that this is a very early version. However, the encoder-guessing doesn't seem to be very accurate:
For example, i ripped an album with EAC and LAME 3.96beta preset standard. Its an album which is very difficult to encode, and where glitches in gapless playback are easy to spot - so, i encountered two tracks where there were "clicks" during trackchanges - i used foobar to "fix" them manually. By doing that, the lame-header got removed i think.
Now to the important part. Encspot detects those two tracks as LAME 3.96beta, and the other ones as LAME 3.96.
Your programm instead detects the two "fixed" tracks as XING, and the others correctly as LAME 3.96b.

I would say, the guessing needs some work(not suprisingly, its an early version) - if it isn't very sure what codec it is, it should state "unable to guess", instead of doing risky guesses.

- Lyx

edit: hmm, probably the only data-type i miss is the used stereo-mode.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

New EncSpot like app

Reply #20
One small request: when I am viewing an mp3 file the Encoder Info doesn't all fit in that column, and I don't have enough screen space to expand the column.

Settings are not saved yet, that will be added later. So then everybody can set the columns width the way they want (and fits their screen).

Bug report: if you switch between directories quite quickly, then you can get an "array index out of bounds" error. (Maybe this is not the exact name).

This is probably when you choose a directory which has less entries than the actual one, and the entries for the actual were not yet calculated, so the prog tries to do it for the new dir. (MAYBE) 

Yup, that's correct, but it's fixed already.

Is MrAnwerMan's readout of Lame settings used contingent on the version of Lame used?  The only thing it's showing after the Lame version in the 'Encoder Info' column for my library of 3.90.3 encoded MP3s is: '<not stored>'

Well, if it shows '<not stored>' then the info is not there. Or, it's a bug in phwip's code and then you have to blame him

Also, MrAnwerMan doesn't access other drives on a network via Windows' Network Neighborhood.

Yeah, that's broken right now, will be fixed. But if you have a shortcut on the desktop, you can acces it via that.

It's also not reporting bitrates accurately for FhG (fastenc) MP3s.  I'm seeing all 32kbps bitrates for VBR encoded files that EncSpot reports a range of averages from 130kbps to 146kbps.

You have to fix your headers.

It would be great if you could add the option to parse subdirectories. I'm really curious about the average bitrate of all my music.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

For example, i ripped an album with EAC and LAME 3.96beta preset standard. Its an album which is very difficult to encode, and where glitches in gapless playback are easy to spot - so, i encountered two tracks where there were "clicks" during trackchanges - i used foobar to "fix" them manually. By doing that, the lame-header got removed i think.
Now to the important part. Encspot detects those two tracks as LAME 3.96beta, and the other ones as LAME 3.96.
Your programm instead detects the two "fixed" tracks as XING, and the others correctly as LAME 3.96b.

I'm pretty sure foobar shouldn't remove the Lame Tag. If it does, well it shouldn't , maybe it's a foobar bug, gotta ask Peter about it.
As far as the mp3 detection goes... I really wish Feltzkrone would get involved. Feltzkrone, if you read this, please let us know what's up with you!

New EncSpot like app

Reply #21
As far as the mp3 detection goes... I really wish Feltzkrone would get involved. Feltzkrone, if you read this, please let us know what's up with you!

I do too. His program looked very promising. But he seems not to have posted here since beginning of march.

New EncSpot like app

Reply #23
Well, if it shows '<not stored>' then the info is not there. Or, it's a bug in phwip's code and then you have to blame him

Okay... RazorLame encoded MP3s are showing the data, but most of my library is ripped from CDs with EAC.  Admittedly I'm, not very tech-savvy.  I can't seem to find an EAC setting to tweak for fixing this.  Could someone help me there?

Yeah, that's broken right now, will be fixed. But if you have a shortcut on the desktop, you can acces it via that.

Hmmm... MrAnwerMan doesn't seem to list anything on the desktop of the system it's running from.  But but I can either boot the program from the remote systems via a link through the network, or just copy the small program file to the other systems.

Why should we fix the headers for VBR files created by Fraunhofer encoders? There IS an official VBRI SDK out there!

I see that here:

http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/amm/download/mp3_vbr_sdk.zip

But those files are the code, and again, I'm not really familiar with the technical end of these things.  I'll see if I can figure out how to go about that process of fixing the headers as Gambit suggests .

Thanks for any tips you folks might be able to pass on. 
Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man

New EncSpot like app

Reply #24
Okay... RazorLame encoded MP3s are showing the data, but most of my library is ripped from CDs with EAC.  Admittedly I'm, not very tech-savvy.  I can't seem to find an EAC setting to tweak for fixing this.  Could someone help me there?

Are you sure you use an encoder which writes the Lame Tag (newer builds of 3.90.3 and 3.92 and above, IIRC)?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019