Skip to main content

Topic: Another question regarding soundcards from yet another n00b (Read 2105 times) previous topic - next topic

Another question regarding soundcards from yet another n00b
Is there anything external like the Stereo-Link 1200 that can actually _decently_ record? Laptops get shafted all the time and it'd be really nice if there was some recording solution I can work out on a laptop (like casual amateur studio recording use). Anyone have any suggestions?

much thanks.
Radices malorum sunt libri, non est cupiditas . . .

• silver_cpu
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1
Check this out.  If, however, you're not looking to spend that much, try the Sound Blaster Extigy, a USB soundcard that actually sounds pretty good.  Beware, though: even though Creative advertises that it has 96khz/24bit DACs, it does *not* actually record audio at 24bit, only at 16.  I can testify, however, that for activities such as listening to a CD, or semi-pro recording, it does a great job.

Reply #2
Does anyone have some stats about the lag time on the SB extigy? With it being all USB and all...

thanks.
Radices malorum sunt libri, non est cupiditas . . .

• silver_cpu
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
My friend, who actually owns an extigy and has done some recording on it, says that it has no more noticeable latency than an internal card.  Basically, very low-latency card that is fine for even live recording events, and I can also state that you can play several audio sources simultaneously, without any dropouts.  It only has a mono mic input, however, so no stereo microphones.