Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 74 minutes = 650 MB on a blank (Read 3643 times) previous topic - next topic

74 minutes = 650 MB on a blank

hi there,

I wonder how it is possible to store 74 minutes of audio tracks on a 650 MB blank - or 80 minutes on a 700 MB blank. I mean 1 Minute needs a bit more than 10 MB right? However, one minute of music is supposed to need more than 8.78 MB if it should fit on the blank...so am I missing something here? I mean the *.wav is that what's on the CD, right? 
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #1
Audio CD uses simpler error correction than CD-ROM -> more room for audio-data.

Reply #2
That's because of the 3rd error correction layer that's used on data CDs and not used on audio CDs. On audio CD each sector is 2352 bytes long, on data CD it's 2048 bytes long. The reminer is error correction data.

-Eugene
The  greatest  programming  project of all took six days;  on the seventh  day  the  programmer  rested.  We've been trying to debug the !@#$%&* thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

Reply #3
Data discs use more than 300 bytes per sector to store data correction information.
If you create a VCD or Audio-CD those correction bits are used to store real data.
That's why you need programs like EAC to reliably rip audio from a disc. There's nothing to tell you that a reading error has happened.
On the other hand, a data disc can't be read with errors.

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7-6

Reply #4
to oversimplify, it should be read 80min OR 700MB, that's why they usually put a "/" between the 2 numbers.
The Plan Within Plans

Reply #5
Actually a "74 min cdr", can store 650 Mo in MODE-1 (data, error correction), or 746 Mo in MODE-2 (no error correction).

Reply #6

Actually a "74 min cdr", can store 650 Mo in MODE-1 (data, error correction), or 746 Mo in MODE-2 (no error correction)

Is this correct? I've been recording all my discs in mode 2/XA (in Nero) because some drives only recognise multisession discs when they're mode 2.

Reply #8
thanks to all of you! Now it makes perfect sense
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #9
Actually a "74 min cdr", can store 650 Mo in MODE-1 (data, error correction), or 746 Mo in MODE-2 (no error correction).

This not correct:

IIRC a DATA (yellow book) CD comes in three possible formats:

Mode-1: 2048 Bytes/sector of usable data, 276 bytes of ECC

Mode-2 - Form 1: 2048 Bytes/sector of usable data, 276 bytes of ECC. Difference between that and Mode-1 is different sector format and headers/subheaders

Mode-2 - Form 2 has NO ECC and 2324 Bytes/sector of user data. Mostly used for VCD, IIRC...

Most CD readers of today recognize multi-sessions CDs even if made with Mode-1. If you make a Mode-2 data CD, anyway, it will be a Mode-2-Form-1 and it will have the same error correction as Mode-1 and you will able to fit the same amount of data on a given CD.

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)