Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3trim bad for gapless-playback? (Read 3192 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3trim bad for gapless-playback?

Hi,

i use mp3trim to remove digital silence at the beginning and end of my mp3s. I did read something about how gapless playback via the lame-tag works, so i was wondering if when removing digital silence with mp3trim the lame-tag would be updated to reflect these changes.

So i did a little experiment - i scanned a freshly ripped and with lame aps encoded mp3 with lame-tag and noted down all tags which were about track-lengths and padding. After that i used mp3trim to remove digital silence in that mp3 and after that i scanned the file with lame-tag again to look if the values would have changed.

The tags i noted down to compare them "before" and "after" were "Encoder delay", "Padded at end" and "Music length"

However, they didn't change!

So, i'm wondering, does trimming mp3s with mp3trim make the gapless-playback information in the lame-tag unusable? If yes, is there a way how i can repair the damage done?

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #1
So, i'm wondering, does trimming mp3s with mp3trim make the gapless-playback information in the lame-tag unusable? If yes, is there a way how i can repair the damage done?

I would say that by using mp3trim, you are damaging the file.  If you want true gapless support from an mp3, don't trim it.  Use a decoder that supports the gapless information written to the LAME tag.  Doing it this way is actually gapless.  Trimming silence blocks from the beginning and ends of a mp3 file do not = true gapless.  It gets close, but still not true.

Reply #2
i do know that. I'm not trimming files to get gapless-playback. Thats not the reason why i used it, because some tracks have lots of digital silence at the beginning or end of tracks (i've seen examples of up to 15seconds of digital silence at the end of a track).

Anyway, that wasn't really my question. I do know that they're gapless already if ripped and encoded properly. What i was wondering was IF mp3trim indeed renders the lame-header information used for gapless playback useless. And if yes, if there is something i can do to repair the damage(without re-ripping/encoding).

edit: with repairing i mean adjusting the information in the lame header to the correct (trimmed) tracklength

Reply #3
1. You're right, if you use mp3trim on a file, lame header won't be updated to reflect those changes.

2. If you cut an mp3 file into several parts with mp3trim, they won't play gaplessly. There's two reasons for that.

First, see 1.

Second, because of the bit reservoir the decoder must not be reset when switching to the next file. Since all the software decoders that I know of do reset themselves, this only works with certain hardware mp3 players. Note that because of that, editing the lame header manually also won't help you.

Reply #4
so, the files are basically broken and only re-ripping would help. Thanks for clearing that up, moneo :)

Reply #5
For your own CD's you've ripped the best option is to remove the digital silence while they are still .wav files either using WavTrim which is a quick way, or by manually doing it with a wave editing program which will take ages.

Although mp3Trim works wonders on some mp3's I won't let it touch any of my LAME encoded files.