Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: is it possible to make an ID3 tag... (Read 3169 times) previous topic - next topic

is it possible to make an ID3 tag...

I wish to add tags to my mp3s , but I need to remember when my mp3 were first created. When adding tags in foobar, file's date and time are changed...
but I need to keep these data. So i thought about writing these date and time
into an ID3 tag. is it possible ? thanks

Reply #1
of course, I could do it manually ...but I have about 100,000 files to process !

Reply #2
Some tag editors (The GodFather is one, I'm sure there are others) allow you to optionally not modify the file's datestamp when updating tags, which sound like what you really want to do.

Reply #3
yes, thats what I want to do, but all the tags I want to write are stored
in foobar database, so I need to use foobar ! (or is there a software that will
import foobar database ?)

Reply #4
I am nearly certain Case's Tag does not modify timestamps by default.
It's available at RareWares: Others

I can't recall ever hearing of a program capable of importing the foo Db.

I'd expect you to get better results at the foobar forum if this is the only way you plan to accomplish this with.
I'm unsure the MP3 Tech. forum is really the correct place for this question, anyway. 

The best of luck, tec

Reply #5
Hi mrbruno,

You can add current date in the ID3 comment field, immediately after compression. You can use Total Commander to select the files, then using the Multi Rename Tool (CTRL+M or CTRL+T for older versions) you can add the current date to the name of file. Then every tagger could add this info in ID3 as a comment. Finally you can remove the date from the name again with Total Commander.
For the older files you could use some small script written e.g. in perl. It would derive the creation date info and add it to the name (or even directly to ID3). Then proceed as above.

Good luck

Reply #6
Actually foobar2000 only changes the "Modified" date/time of the file and not the "Created" date/time.  So you can still tell when your mp3s were first created.

To see the "Created" date look at the file properties dialog in Windows Explorer, or you can add the Created column into Explorer by right-clicking on the column titles and selecting it (at least in Windows 2000 and XP, I don't know about other versions).

Reply #7
yes I know it only changes the modified date, but the problem is
that I copy my MP3 from CD-R to hard drive, so the creation
date of the copied files is not the same as the files on CD-R...
The files get the date I copied them on the hard drive as a creation date...
not the original creation date from the files on CD-R...
I'm going nuts !

Reply #8
I can think of one solution, but it is a rather long-winded one.  Instead of copying the files directly from the cd-r to the hard disk, you could add the files from the cd-r to a zip file, and then unpack the zip file onto your hard disk.  I have tried this with WinZip 9.0 and the file creation date is maintained.

I imagine that there might be file copy utilities out there that give you more control over the copy process including timestamping, which would be a tidier solution.