Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EE Dan Lavry's article on sampling rates (Read 4617 times) previous topic - next topic

EE Dan Lavry's article on sampling rates

Reply #1
Thanks. Easy to follow but still very detailed. Great read.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #2
Thanks. Easy to follow but still very detailed. Great read.

If you have not done so already, check out Mr. Lavry's posts in this thread on RAP:

384kHz PCM ???

Also easy to follow and makes, IMO, perfect technical sense.

_________
Thom

Reply #3
Interesting, although I don't really think it's more accessible to the "average" reader than any other sampling theory paper.

I'm not sure I agree with his conclusion that 192khz is *inferior* from a practical point of view, as once the 1-bit x-mhz data exits the decimator it's in the digital domain and can be represented more accurately with higher PCM rates.

I agree with the sentiment though. Properly noise-shaped 44/16 is more than enough for audio recording imho.

Reply #4
It's a very good paper - and presents an interesting way to show the validity of the Nyquist theorem without going too deeply into the frequency domain. Another good weapon to use against the "Nyquist was wrong" naysayers.

Reply #5
OT, but i thought it was funny after reading lavry's posts to see a google ad on this page for "gigasamples per second a/d cards"

LMAO @ google.