moving to Linux
Reply #25
This page lists a bunch of them http://www.newsreaders.com/unix/servers.html

• DonP
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Members (Donating)
moving to Linux
Reply #26
If you are considering adding a hard drive, now (when adding linux) would be a good time.  That way you don't have to worry about shrinking your NTFS  (windows file system) to make room on the hard drive for the linux partitions.  I think most distro's
don't handle ntfs shrinking well.

• ddrawley
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Members (Donating)
moving to Linux
Reply #27
I am a big fan of OpenBSD for a firewall. I have been running one for a few years. OpenBSD is not as civilized as something like Debian Linux (that means easy.) Patches are harder to apply. APT-GET in Debian is a dream.
I tried OpenBSD for a desktop. I didn't care for the results. Debian was quite a bit easier for me to build a desktop machine or Samba server. The Debian also did better as a primary domain controller. I could script automatic machine adding. This was not possible in OpenBSD.

• QuantumKnot
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
moving to Linux
Reply #28
If you are considering adding a hard drive, now (when adding linux) would be a good time.  That way you don't have to worry about shrinking your NTFS  (windows file system) to make room on the hard drive for the linux partitions.  I think most distro's
don't handle ntfs shrinking well.

You could use PartitionMagic to shrink your NTFS partition which usually works fine.  Though John33 would have a differing opinion about PM