Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Here's what I want, is it possible? (Read 3560 times) previous topic - next topic

Here's what I want, is it possible?

Hello folks. On the advice of the Ars hive mind (www.arstechnica.com) I have installed and played a bit with Foobar2000. It is very much what I was looking for, so kudos.

Basically, I want a few more things, and hopefully you can tell me if it's possible at all. First, I want a frame (for lack of a better word, correct me if needed) on the left side of my Foobar2000 window with a list of expandable options. For example, base level would include Playlists, Albums, and Artists. I click on one of them, Albums for example, and it expands down (has a little plus sign next to it) to show all the albums I have in my e:\music directory. I have my MP3s sorted into two directories, CDs and Singles, so this shouldn't be too hard. Or I expand playlists, and it shows all the playlists I've made. Am I making sense?

Second, I want to a volume control that I can access quickly on the GUI.

Third, I want my main playlist (the default one with all my music in it) to autoupdate when I add songs or a directory to my e:\music directory. Basically, I want an intelligent media library.

Fourth, I would love to find a basic explanation of what the database is and how to use it to my advantage. Foobar2000 so far is great (customizable, minimalist, and completely non-bloated - exactly what I was looking for) but the documentation sucks -- either that or I'm looking in the wrong place. If so, point me in the right direction.

Fifth, I want a playlist-specific equalizer - or album specific, or artist specific, depending on what I choose in my little frame on the left.

I realize I'm asking a lot, but I'm just hoping these are things that are possible. Most of them I've seen on other media players and am missing the features here (or just not finding them).

My current configuration is based off of http://www.customize.org/details/32178. I'd post a screenshot, but I don't have web hosting.

To the developers responsible for Foobar2000, thanks for your hard work, and keep it up.

-Shade

Reply #1
Most of your feature requests can be done through a 3rd party UI replacement. Either code it yourself, or find an interested developer. It is not likely that the default UI will ever include them.

As for this part
Third, I want my main playlist (the default one with all my music in it) to autoupdate when I add songs or a directory to my e:\music directory. Basically, I want an intelligent media library.

I can't see this happening without massive hacking or equally massive slowdowns when searching for new files. If you can live with the latter, then I guess a third party addon can be made to crawl through the specified directories every few minutes and add any new files to the database.
what the database is and how to use it to my advantage

The database stores the metadata of your tracks so that there's no need to re-read it every time you add tracks to a playlist. A number of components rely on it to provide their services. Album list, extended search, and playlist generator are good examples.

Reply #2
if I understand you correctly, you could try musicmusic's excellent UI_columns extension with uie_dbexplorer and/or uie_albumlist. It has some of the features you want.
Just copy the dlls to your foobar's component folder.

They're in alpha stage, but I've experienced no problems so far...

edit: typo

Reply #3
if I understand you correctly, you could try musicmusic's excellent UI_columns extension with uie_dbexplorer and/or uie_albumlist. It has some of the features you want.
Just copy the dlls to your foobar's component folder.

They're in alpha stage, but I've experienced no problems so far...

edit: typo
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244383"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm giving them a shot, but please be more specific. What features does it have that I'm looking for? I'm a newbie to Foobar2000, so I'm still learning how to explore it.

-Shade

Reply #4
How to show a list of playlists and albums (and more) with Columns UI:

1) Get the latest alpha of Columns UI and panels Here
2) Add foo_uie_albumlist or foo_uie_dbexplorer to your components directory.
3) Enable sidebar in Columns UI (Preferences->Display->Columns UI->Display tab->Sidebar)
4) Right click a header in the sidebar and enable e.g. "Album list" from context menu->General

Here is a screenshot of how it might look with "Album list" "Playlist switcher" and "History" panel enabled.

Reply #5
How to show a list of playlists and albums (and more) with Columns UI:

1) Get the latest alpha of Columns UI and panels Here
2) Add foo_uie_albumlist or foo_uie_dbexplorer to your components directory.
3) Enable sidebar in Columns UI (Preferences->Display->Columns UI->Display tab->Sidebar)
4) Right click a header in the sidebar and enable e.g. "Album list" from context menu->General

Here is a screenshot of how it might look with "Album list" "Playlist switcher" and "History" panel enabled.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244456"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you. Now to just try to get it to look like I want...

-Shade

Reply #6
wait how do you get a history panel?

Reply #7
wait how do you get a history panel?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244464"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Download foo_history_panel from 1) in my previous post.