Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tell us why have you chosen foobar2000 (Read 181551 times) previous topic - next topic

Tell us why have you chosen foobar2000

Reply #225
-It takes less than half a second to start
-It has a small memory footprint
-It can play every type of music I have in my collection (AAC, FLAC, MP3, Shorten, Vorbis)
-It can convert from any format to any other format (well, almost any)
-It let's ME choose how it should look
-It can burn cds
-It can rip cds
-It can send music to my portable player
-It can stream internet radio
-It can record internet radio streams
-It has replaygain
-It has gapless playback
-It's free
Is over the of = % over 100

Reply #226
because i LOVE alien icons

Reply #227
+ curently using 5MB of memory
+ tabbed playlists
+ highly customizable
+ nice file icons
+ components
+ Foobar 2.1 will kickass

- no more real shuffle artist/album (or tag) - shuffles within tags
- problems with multimedia media keys (logitech)
- MIDI
- curently using 5MB of memory

Reply #228
Because of the wonderful playlist, that's why I switched from Winamp. And now when I've been using it for quite a time and learned more about it I like the fact that it's highly customizable. Plus it's non-bloated... Do I need to say more?

Reply #229
It's just so darned well thought-out! (powerful yet simple)

Thank you Peter for this great gift!
(and btw you really set the definition of a good program)

Reply #230
Versatility + modularity + no bloated gui =foobar!

Reply #231
Its just amazingly amazing. Small, fast, featurefull, and very customizeable.

It lets me do what I want, not what the software makers want.
And if you believe theres not a chance to die...

Reply #232
Reliable! Fast! Customizable!
I hate those bloat-wares keep eating resources and doing dirty stuff themselves.

Reply #233
it´s easy, it´s simple, one can configure it as he wants it, it steals less resources, it´s fast.

but the overall reason for me is and was: the better sound (with kernel streaming & my flawed creative USB-card (the one with the bad bad resampler)).

in my eyes, foobar is the best.
marlene-d.blogspot.com

Reply #234
Foobar is useful, simple.
And, I like Foobar.
But, Alien icon is very bad thing, Smile icon is very very very good! 
I'm Korean.
My english is poor. : (

Reply #235
Where are the alien icons? I just recognize a strange looking cat! 

Why i have choosen foobar? Everything is said in the other posts. If i would try to bring it to the point i would mention two reasons:

1. The handling of tags and the presence of TAGZ in all areas of the program.

2. The appearence of the one and same context menu in all areas of the program. Exactly that results in combining different plugins.

The only weak point i can recognize is the fact that foobar isn't able to update database automatically by watching database folder and doesn't give the media library plugins the chance to refresh them automatically on database update.

The only feature i miss to claim foobar as complete audio suite is burning audio cds (foo_burninate never worked for me) and data-cds/dvds.

Reply #236
uses little to no memory most of the time for me. and runs fast...........oh yeah lets not forget that whole thing called customization

Reply #237
WiMP has never satisfied, MMJB sucks, fed up of winamp's bullshit.
foobar provides what it offers and then some through the fantastic community. just plain looks fucking cooler

Reply #238
WiMP has never satisfied, MMJB sucks, fed up of winamp's bullshit.
foobar provides what it offers and then some through the fantastic community. just plain looks fucking cooler

Hey, watch your language here (I mean, on HA.org).
stimulating the audio nerve directly

Reply #239
There are a few things I have liked about Foobar that some other players don't have (or I can't find anyway):

- The player focuses on the playlist. A media player is for media not for fancy graphics and bloated GUI's .

- Its fast.

- Customizable.

- Can display album covers with the correct plugins.

- Its free and plugins are updated fairly fast.
Song List: keikoniumboards.ke.funpic.org/files/songlist.html

Reply #240
Because im a person who always looks for alternatives.And because foobar is really costumizable.

I once had a pre-packed foobar pack,all kinda sweet looking now i updated to 0.9 and all my sweet looks are gone and as im total useless when it comes to coding im pretty much stuck with the "ugly" default design (its not ugly,i just miss some colour and other sweet features) until someone helps me build my own or gives me his/her sweet one.

Generally

Foobar just does everything better that any other player.

Oh yeah and i use it to convert lossless to mp3.

Reply #241
him interface extremely dynamic
him high association with plugins
him low use of memory

and this 3 itens make it the better player ^^

(sorry for a bad english - i'am brazillian, and here we speak portuguese ^^)

Reply #242
Tell us why have you chosen foobar2000, or why don't you like it

Clean interface, no-nonsense playlist display; good support for audio interfaces (such as ASIO) and good management of DSP; lots of features (e.g. recording, many supported file formats, tone generators, file conversion).
Only problems are when I moved to the current version. I should have waited a bit for everything to come online.

Reply #243
I have just dumped winamp for it. Why? To be honest, I don't really know. I don't hear the difference in sound quaility and I really miss the stunning AVS visualization from winamp (I admit, I was using it only seldomly), but it seems the possibility to open the directory the file is in with the options presented when moving physical files won the match.

I use foobar almost only as a player, I don't even use foobar2000's mass tagging abilities. I find it powerful, but too cumbersome to work with. The Godfather is way faster in retrieving tags from names, more convenient in looking up on-line information and searching for duplicates.

AlbumArt - I don't need this. I seldomly have complete albums. Instead I listen to what is "listenable", which is a really diverse mix of music. Album art does not make too much sense for singles, does it?

ReplayGain - BIG PLUS! Too bad it is completely useless for my portable player, so i might end up hardcoding the gain values in the file itself anyway (not in the tags)

Call me crazy, in spite of all these, + the rather plain look which requires a hell lot of time (approx. 3 full night's work) to make its appearance & functionality suitable for my taste, I somehow feel reluctant to go back to winamp. And I have yet to experience the pleasure of gapless playback. Or maybe it is just because I started to hate all the bundled on-line services in winamp...

Matyas

BTW: I don't see the "low memory usage" at all, with all my current plugins!!! Right after start it is around 23mb, whereas winamp merely went above 14M. So what is this talk about low resource usage?

Reply #244
- It's as powerful as you want it to be.
- It's known for doing things "the right way".
- It was started initially because the author thought Winamp was going the wrong way, which I agree with.
- Columns UI
- Excellent sound quality.
- Native Interface
- Excellent handling of medial library (IE if you mass rename a file into a watch dir, it auto adds it).
- Autoplaylist !! !!
hi

Reply #245
I use it primarily because it has gaples playback, and Winamp didn't had it back then. In time Winamp got gapless playback, but Foobar's configuration remained complicated for people without scripting skills (is there ever going to be some GUI for setting up them visual thingies?). I see it as a player for people with enormous amount of time to do the scripting. I don't, so I use one script made by Azrael.
Except for low memory usage, gapless playback and nice album list, I don't see really some serious advantages. Tagging is too complicated, as Matyas noted, TGF does much better job. File converter is OK, but nothing special. Album Art is fine addition, too bad you have to install it separately.

Now, that's it.

Ivan.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #246
+ It sounds alot better then most players.
+ It looks like what you want it to!.
+ Tabbed playlists <3.
+ Imports music fast.
+ Conversions are always a good bonus.
+ Components bring a whole new aspect to the player to.

- Its a little hard to understand when you first get it.
- No mini player option without components.

Reply #247
It has nice icons for the files

Funnily enough this is one of my favourite things about foobar2000.

Whenever I see the words 'ogg' or mp3', I automatically think green or red - and of course the lovely blue for mpc files 
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Reply #248
still remember the first time i used foobar. i thought i opened a notepad window!

~  i love the fact there isn't a fancy GUI to eat more system resources.
~  "    "  that its modular, thus so customisable.
~  the mass tagger
~  the equalizer
~  transcoding features
~  channel mixer plugin makes it complete for my needs!
everybody's a jerk. you, me, this jerk!

Reply #249
+ Really nice sound quality.
+ Gapless Playback.
+ ReplayGain.
+ Light & fast.
+ Multiple playlists.

- Components ported with some inertia. (Still waiting for 0.9.x version of SoundTouch or another component that can adjust pitch)