Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tell us why have you chosen foobar2000 (Read 181530 times) previous topic - next topic

Tell us why have you chosen foobar2000

Reply #125
Just coz it's the best player ever.

Reply #126
Replay gain support for all file types is one of the deciding factors for me. The masstagger is great. Columns UI is great. A lot of customizable features. Small community with developers of third-party plugins who communicate with users. Dedicated development with a clear direction. Much more that I can't think of now.  All in all, my fave player.

Reply #127
My main reason for using it is being able to group and sort albums in the one playlist. What's better, having all your albums neatly grouped and sorted (Foobar) or just thrown in a mixed bag sorted alphabetically (Winamp)?

Oh, and it's high customability gives me something to do on a boring night.

The only negative thing I have against Foobar is that it's plugin/component database isn't as large as Winamp. I was trying to find a FTP plugin to upload my currently playing song to a server, and couldn't find anything (well, I found a few but they were either taken down or not what I was looking for). Winamp had a million plugins to do this alone.
</signature>

Reply #128
Because e-music.com sells gapless MP3s, and Foobar can read them gaplessly.

Reply #129
foobar2000 - the way it's meant to be played
stimulating the audio nerve directly

Reply #130
- Simple UI
- Lean
- A bit of Geek Charm
- No skins

I hade the fortune to start with music on the PC through Foobar .4, CDex, and Ogg Vorbis. It's all Iv'e ever used (except for oggdrop) and every time I've looked at alternatives I've come right back.

Reply #131
I forgot to add something that Foobar can't do:

- make country music sound good. 

Reply #133
Another converted Winamp/Windows Media Player user.  (Actually, WMP is still pretty decent for video, but that's about all I use it for anymore.)

I like Foobar for its stability, and how much fun it is to work with.  You can make it look however you want, and do whatever you want.  :-)

And now I love it even more because I just figured out how to use it to pick up radio feeds!   

OK, I'm a ditz. 

Reply #134
I am using foobar since v.0.3x and i am completely satisfied with that uber-program  , because i don't need skins or any kind of overloaded interface to listen music. Another great advantage of foobar is it's ability of customisation, without the need to be a hacker.

"Keine Macht dem WinAmp" 

Reply #135
Yup, I like foobar2000. It's the best player ever. It has no skin support (foo_looks is a crap), so what? Some ppl don't like it just because of this.
Anyway, it rules.
Say your words, ppl.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=199199"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Highly customisable, tabbed playlist, not bloated and finally, foo_sid <3

- J

Reply #136
i like foobar2000 because of it's simplicity and low memory usage. Winamp was great when it was in the 2.91 phase, but when 5 came out with the new skins/video support it totally ruined it's light-weight nature. That void's been bridged with foobar2000.

Reply #137
I'm sort of split...

I use both FB2K and Winamp (in windowshade mode).

Foobar2000 is excellent because of its massive configuration ability.  I've had fb2k for over 6 months now and I'm *just* now figuring out how to display everything the way I want it.  I originally got it because I needed mpc and ogg support, and I found I could redo tags and even mass rename files.  That and it's small memory footprint and I was extremely happy.  With Toaster, I'm almost estatic.

My only real problem with fb2k (and it may just be that I've set something bad) is that I can't keep it playing for a long period of time.  After about 5 hours, the tags and screen "freeze" in the middle of a song.  Foobar still plays, but nothing moves.  I am still able to do everything, though, so I stop and play again, and it work for another 5 hours.  It's the only reason I still use Winamp.  Otherwise, I'd use Fb2k minimized to the taskbar and use Sysmetrix to control fb2k.

Reply #138
Non-bloated
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=199268"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly. I've always been a minimalist at heart and love Foobar for this very reason. The degree to which it can be customized is scary; it makes foobar millions of times more functional than any other player while at the same time it makes it a million times less bloated. It's a wonderful combination made in heaven.

Reply #139
FB2K is very compact and has infinitely superior playlist handling to other players, thats the thing that hooked me up first. Later I discovered the insane amount of costumizations, and incredibly well made plugins, supporting basically every format out there, and a lot better then any other player.

Reply #140
Ten reasons I just came up with off the top of my head:

1. It encodes and decodes a huge variety of audio formats, thus removing the need for other transcoder programs
2. It supports APEv2 tags in more-or-less every audio format, which allows me to use custom tags to store information I am particularly interested in
3. Its Masstagger is the most advanced tagging engine I've seen, so I don't need another tagging program
4. It handles a very, very large number of audio files without a hiccup
5. It has a small footprint in terms of disk space and memory use
6. It is extremely configurable, particularly in terms of formatting strings
7. It plays my music cleanly, without errors, gaplessly and accurately
8. It has an active, helpful and interesting community
9. It is extensible by use of component plug-ins to the point where you can add even more functionality to the program
10. It has a very fast playlist find

I seem to end up suggesting foobar as the answer to many, many questions on other forums. For example, someone asks 'How can I transcode from APE to OGG?' and I'll simply answer 'foobar can do this.'. It's the same with tagging questions, music collection management questions and a million and one other things I probably haven't encountered yet.

arty

Reply #141
1. Tagging heaven (masstagger, tags from freedb.org)
2. ReplayGain heaven.
3. Size heaven.
4. Memory consumption heaven.
5. Configeekuration heaven
6. Playlist + Foo_temple + fading dsps for parties...
7. Modular
8. Community, who all in all knows whats important. Binding to the ogg and lame community.

FUCK BLOATWARE
FUCK DRM
GO FOOBAR

Reply #142
I use foobar as an active filter, the channel divider    and
dsp crossover  components are very precious for me. I remember the first time i saw these components on work, i couldn't believe my eyes and ears! imagine a sound as pure as cristal and the possibility to play with the response curves of your speakers as you would do with a 200€ active filter. This is one of the many reasons why Foobar is strongly implanted on my audio system.
Emu 1212m, PIV 2Ghz, ATI9550, WinXp, Debian Etch

Reply #143
How I came to find foobar:
So about three years ago I got really into the video game music scene (and still am into it) and I needed a good audio player to play the game formats.  After many hours of trying out homemade audio players for these formats, I went to www.download.com and found foobar2000.  Freaking WOW, foobar can play nearly all of game music formats (but not yet USF) and it can convert them to wave so I can burn them to cd's!  Not only was I ecstatic about the game music compatibility, but the versatility of foobar is amazing.  I'm always learning new stuff that makes foobar even sweeter.  Thank God for people like kode54, googer, and foosion who make so many cool components for foobar!
P.S. - a german friend has informed me that "foobar" is another word for F$%@

Reply #144
P.S. - a german friend has informed me that "foobar" is another word for F$%@[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Send your friend to [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar]Wikipedia[/url]. "F$%@" is not a word, though to me it looks like it could be a Perl program.

Reply #145
The word is FUBAR, I think. Used in armies alot (?)

Reply #146
The word "foobar" has been discussed more than once on these forums. If you are interested in that topic, try searching the forum (might be a bit harder than usual ), or follow the above Wikipedia link; there you'll find almost anything that you might want to know about the word "foobar". I don't think it is necessary to continue that discussion here.

Reply #147
Leaving aside the question of sound quality (I sometimes prefer Apollo Audio Player or J.River Media Center),  I like foobar because it's always growing and you can never know wich new quality features you'll get the next time you browse the sites, this is quite appealing to me.

Greetings from Italy
Gringo

Reply #148
All i want is something that can play music. no skin crap. organization crap. no cd burner crap. no crap. just music, lots of formats, and that all. Foobar's installation was so configurable that I was able to make my player as barebones as i wanted.

Reply #149
Foobar is great for all the reasons already mentioned.

My only gripes are that I wish there was a better media management or media library system and that the documentation was more centralized than it is.