Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC and *.APL files (Read 5208 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC and *.APL files

i really want to make the switch from ape to flac.  the only thing keeping me from doing it are the *.apl files.  i rip all of my albums as single files, and sometimes you just want to listen to one track, you know?  *.apl files are very convienent for that. 

i could create a cue sheet for each track, but then mp3cue won't detect it, since it has to have the same name as the flac file.

are there any *.apl-like solutions for flac files?

apologies if this is already posted elsewhere... i coulndn't find anything when i searched the forums...

thanks!

FLAC and *.APL files

Reply #1
foobar2000 seems to support single file flac+external cue files just fine. I also embed the cue sheet in the flac.

FLAC and *.APL files

Reply #2
thanks for the info...

i just actually downloaded foobar for the first time about 10 minutes ago, haven't installed it yet...

FLAC and *.APL files

Reply #3
well, this sort of solved my problem.... i can save individual tracks as foobar playlists (*.fpl)... but i don't see any way to this other than one file at a time, not anything simple like monkey's makeapl program...

so i guess now i have a new question, are there any advanced playlist utilities for foobar?

thanks again!

FLAC and *.APL files

Reply #4
Why not just make *.apl files from the single file Flac? In the past, I've used EAC to create single file Flacs + cue. You have to rename the Flac file by removing the second .flac at the end. Apparently a bug? in EAC.

e.g. Pink Floyd - The Division Bell.flac.flac
To: Pink Floyd - The Division Bell.flac

Next, make sure to check the .cue in notepad to make sure it referrences the same name as the actually Flac file.

With foo_apl.dll, load the .cue into foobar2000, select all files from the album --> right click Write APL link files.

The new APLs will show up in the same dir as the Flac file.

Hope this works for you.
Jim

FLAC and *.APL files

Reply #5
thanks, that actually worked perfectly...  i had trouble finding it at first, but then realized that i'm an idiot, when i installed foobar, i let it pick what to install, and it doesn't install foo_apl.dll by default.  after i reinstalled it everything worked just as you described.

the only weird thing i noticed was that i tried the same thing later with an ape/cue combo (different album, haven't converted to flac yet), and the apl files it created all point to CDImage.flac.  especially weird because the cue sheet points to CDImage.ape.

i was also wondering why you have to select the whole album to the "Write APL link files" option to show up.  if you select one or a few, it's not an option...

i appreciate everyone on this forums assistance, i think i can make the switch to flac and go buy a phatbox now

FLAC and *.APL files

Reply #6
hmm... actually didn't work so well after all...the apl files play just fine in foobar, but they don't play in winamp. 

so now i have to decide whether to abandon my whole wireless remote/myHTPC setup and switch to foobar fulltime or just keep using APE. 

it's almost makes me long for the days of crappy computer speakers and 112kbps mp3s.

no... no it doesn't... not really

FLAC and *.APL files

Reply #7
I've been trying to work this out as well. I made the jump to flac about 2 months ago, and now I'm trying to get flac files working with xlobby. xlobby supports foobar, but can't handle flac+cue. This may be my saviour.
Do you know if the apl creating process in foobar can be done on multiple albums at once? I really don't want to go through one album at a time.

I'm planning on loading all my cue's into foobar, and then selecting all of them, right clicking and choosing creat apl link files.

I'll try it when I'm next in front of my PC and report back, but if anyone has this working, please post.

Thanks

- Audio Sypder

FLAC and *.APL files

Reply #8
like i said, they all play fine in foobar, but they will not play in winamp.  i guess the winampape plugin doesn't wanna play nice with flac