Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended LAME settings (Read 656128 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended LAME settings

Reply #475
Thank you Rober and skelly for your replies !

I'm using the following lines:

EAC
Code: [Select]
-V 2 --vbr-new --noreplaygain  --ignore-tag-errors --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d

All2LAME
-V 2 --vbr-new --noreplaygain

I think they are correct, right ?

Gr.
Gonzalo
Greetings
Sonny Burnett.

Reply #476
Ok. Odd question, maybe its been answered, and if so, I apologize.

Why when I encode via EAC and LAME beta 2, and using the command lines provided on this site (I personally use -V0, but the but everything else is the same; -V0 --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d), does the mp3 file play in Winamp and look like a CBR file? It starts at a lower bitrate than I specified and maybe inches up one or two notches in the first few seconds then stays pretty much constant throughout the song. I chose VBR, not CBR. Is this Winamp's fault or am I doing something wrong? When I use Easy CD-DA Extractor and its encoder (LAME, not sure of the version) it works and displays in Winamp as its supposed to (the numbers increase, or bounce, with the beat/complexity of the song).

What gives?

Any ideas?

-J

Reply #477
What bit rate does winamp show?

Reply #478
so far as i know, older versions of winamp used to show only average bitrates for vbr.
let's say if V2 encoded file has avg bitrate 190kbps, winamp will show 190, will gradually increase the number like 191 and 192 and then the number will be stable.
where as in the newer versions it actually shows bitrate for each frame. e. g. 128 160 112 128 160 112 128 128 etc. These numbers change rapidly, so if there are too many 160kbps frames it might look as if it was a cbr file.
Lame 3.97: -V2 --vbr-new

Reply #479
Hello everyone,

I've got a question about tagging:

I use EAC V0.95 beta 3 with LAME V3.97b1. I want to add ID3v1 tags and in case they don't offer enough space for the information ID3v2 tags should be added automatically.
There should exist such a feature in LAME according to what I've read on this page:
Note: A version 2 tag will NOT be added unless one of the input fields
won't fit in a version 1 tag (e.g. the title string is longer than 30
characters), or the '--add-id3v2' or '--id3v2-only' options are used,
or output is redirected to stdout.

How do I have to alter one of your examples?
ID3v1:
-V 2 --vbr-new --id3v1-only --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

ID3v2:
-V 2 --vbr-new --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

ID3v1 and ID3v2:
-V 2 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

IMO these three examples doesn't do what I want according to the page I've linked before:
--add-id3v2     force addition of version 2 tag
--id3v1-only    add only a version 1 tag
--id3v2-only    add only a version 2 tag

I don't want to always force addition of v2 tag and I don't want to have v2 tag only.
I also don't want to have v1 tag only in case the information doesn't fit into it.

Anyone?

Btw.: What are the
--space-id3v1   pad version 1 tag with spaces instead of nulls
--pad-id3v2     pad version 2 tag with extra 128 bytes

for?
--space-id3v1 doesn't comply with ID3 standard, does it?

Reply #480
You don't have to use any extra switches to use LAME's automatic tagging version.
Those ID3 related switches are only for when you want LAME to do specific tagging action(s).
Like ID3v1 only, ID3v2 only, so on and so forth.

In short, just don't use any of the switches that you were questioning about.

Reply #481
I see, so my parameters should be like this?
-V 2 --vbr-new --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

Anyway I will appreciate if someone replies to my "btw-questions".

Reply #482
Yes, though on most cases --pad-id3v2 isn't necessary.

Regarding your 'btw-question', no, it won't break the standard.
It'd only replace nulls w/ spaces.
iirc, if the title tag is filled with less than 30 characers, rather than nulls, it'd fill the remaining space with spaces.

But cmiiw...

Reply #483
Yes, though on most cases --pad-id3v2 isn't necessary.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why is it recommended then?
Is there any explanation on the net what it's for?

Regarding your 'btw-question', no, it won't break the standard.
It'd only replace nulls w/ spaces.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352368"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.id3.org/id3v1.html]Id3.org[/url] doesn't say anything about spaces, so I'll stick to nulls.

Reply #484
Why is it recommended then?
Is there any explanation on the net what it's for?[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just in case you want to add extra tags later on (like 'USERWWW', 'COMPOSER', and so on...).
This is so any tagger apps can write new tags faster since the extra space is already allocated.

Again, cmiiw...

[a href="http://www.id3.org/id3v1.html]Id3.org[/url] doesn't say anything about spaces, so I'll stick to nulls. [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352442"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then why bother asking about it?
Personally, I don't use it neither since I don't know what practical use that switch might have.
Is there anyone more enlightened on this care to share the knowledge? =)

Reply #485

Id3.org doesn't say anything about spaces, so I'll stick to nulls. [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352442"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then why bother asking about it? [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352503"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because I hadn't looked it up at id3.org when I was posting the question.
And furthermore I'm still hoping of
Is there anyone more enlightened on this care to share the knowledge? =)[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352503"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No offence meant!

Another question comes to mind:
Why is it recommended to remove tick from Check for external programs return code?

Reply #486
No offence meant![a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352508"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What offense?

Anyway...

Another question comes to mind:
Why is it recommended to remove tick from Check for external programs return code?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352508"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't really know why, but probably since, most of the time, whenever EAC captures an error from the CLI, the displayed error isn't too readable and just a bother.
Just try encoding with LAME and enter a non-standard genre like 'Bossa-nova' without --ignore-tag-errors and the 'Check for external programs...' option turned on.

Personally, I keep them turned on since that way I'd know if there's something wrong with my settings.
Though there are probably many other people that don't like EAC's warning dialog box popping up.

Reply #487
^ All these questions on ID3 tagging ... it's so much easier to fill out ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags with Winamp 5.x.

Reply #488
No offence meant![a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352508"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What offense? [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352612"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For quoting your statement that anyone could be more enlightened than you.
Was silly, let's forget that

[Something about the Check for external programs return code option][a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352612"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, your answer is at least useful for me.

^ All these questions on ID3 tagging ... it's so much easier to fill out ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags with Winamp 5.x.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352754"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You mean manually, or what?
These questions are about EAC and LAME automatically attach the ID3 tags correctly when ripping Audio-CDs and converting to mp3.

Reply #489
^ All these questions on ID3 tagging ... it's so much easier to fill out ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags with Winamp 5.x.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352754"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You mean manually, or what?
These questions are about EAC and LAME automatically attach the ID3 tags correctly when ripping Audio-CDs and converting to mp3.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352779"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I meant manually.  I guess batch processing a bunch of files would be easier with the command line method of LAME.  But at this point, I'm pretty quick at manually entering ID3 tags (I do v2 and then click a button which automatically fills in v1) via Winamp.  I've ripped an album via EAC and encoded w/ LAME and then manually entered the tag info. and it's pretty quick.  I typically start tagging as the files are done encoding.

I know Winamp (Pro) can rip and encode in one button as well as tag, but I understand many think Winamp's ripper/encoder is inferior to EAC/LAME and also, Winamp Pro costs $ (legally).

Reply #490
For quoting your statement that anyone could be more enlightened than you.
Was silly, let's forget that

Ah, ok...

... But at this point, I'm pretty quick at manually entering ID3 tags (I do v2 and then click a button which automatically fills in v1) via Winamp.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm tagging more quickly using [a href="http://www.mp3tag.de/en/]Mp3tag[/url], but I guess everyone has their own favorit tagger to use post encode. =)

~oops,thisIsGettingOfftopic...

Reply #491
hello everyone

i have this thing  , im new with all of this, actually im using razorlame with lame3.97beta1, for this i have to change the razorlame.dat to correct an error. (nothing new) 
so i just want to know if i need to do somenthing like this with the lame3.97beta2?
also, i like the VBR standard, i have --preset standard 
can i keep this option with lame 3.97beta2??
encoding from mexico
thanks 

Reply #492
If it did work w/ 3.97b1 then it'd probably work w/ 3.97b2.
I never used an obsolete LAME frontend like that before.

The switches remain the same; no changes.
Unless if you want some speed-up then add --vbr-new.

Reply #493
If it did work w/ 3.97b1 then it'd probably work w/ 3.97b2.
I never used an obsolete LAME frontend like that before.

The switches remain the same; no changes.
Unless if you want some speed-up then add --vbr-new.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=353487"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes it works fine, im just having problems with razorlame, not the big stuff just that the icons are not appearing correctly (use to be the winamp icon)
that switch is fast enough to me, but thanks for that.

why do you say its obsolete,  i use that lame cause i dont know how to compare each lame so i go to the "recommended one" (by hydrogenaudio site)
but thats because i dont know where to look the advantages of each one.
oo if you have some links that i can read, please let me know.
also if you know what happens to the icons (enconding its fine, but the icons used to be there) 
thanks 

Reply #494
why do you say its obsolete,   i use that lame cause i dont know how to compare each lame so i go to the "recommended one" (by hydrogenaudio site)
but thats because i dont know where to look the advantages of each one.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He doesn't mean LAME itself when he says "obsolete frontend". He means RazorLAME with that comment, which is a frontend to LAME.

Alternatively, you could use [a href="http://www.foobar2000.org/]foobar2000[/url] (i suggest the 0.9 beta), which is a much more potent and versatile audio player/frontend/etc.

Reply #495
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']@perroguano[/span]
What CiTay said.

Furthermore, you can try newer frontend such as ALL2LAME.
Cheers.

Reply #496
the "--add-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n"" part is recommended because it calls lame's internal tagging routines, which is perferred over eac's tagging routines.  that is why the recommended commandline for eac is what it is.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is something I've always wondered about. Specifically why is Lame's tagging preferred over EAC? I've always used the short commandline, letting EAC do the tags and have never seen any problems.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329843"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have had problems with eac's tagging, specifically a particular error : tracks below 10 have their album name truncated to something like 50 characters (I didn't measure), and have the date correct, and above 10 have no date info, and full album name.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329845"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just switched from using ID3v1 & APEv2 tags to using ID3v2 and can't see the reason why the recommended EAC syntax uses LAME tagging instead of EAC.

In [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=37389&view=findpost&p=329845]this thread[/url], Shade[ST] wrote of some problems but I haven't been able to reproduce them. I'm using EAC 0.95beta3.

And before, when using ID3v1, I never noticed any problems. Wouldn't it be easier to recommend the short syntax and let EAC tag the files if there's no problems?

Reply #497
Which command line do you think will be the standard in the mp3-scene? (If they ever going to change )

Reply #498
LAME 3.90.3 --alt-preset standard has been the standard for several years now, and there is no reason to expect this to change soon. Some groups stuck with the old CBR 192kbps standard (often coupled with an old LAME version, like v3.92 or 3.93), but they seem to be in minority.

Reply #499
LAME 3.90.3 --alt-preset standard has been the standard for several years now, and there is no reason to expect this to change soon. Some groups stuck with the old CBR 192kbps standard (often coupled with an old LAME version, like v3.92 or 3.93), but they seem to be in minority.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363736"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But just pretend that they would change to 3.97. Which command line do you think that they would use then? hehe