Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any chance of an ASIO interface/plugin for FB2K? (Read 4704 times) previous topic - next topic

Any chance of an ASIO interface/plugin for FB2K?

Hi to all Foobar2000 developers - and thanks for creating my favourite audio player.

Was wondering tho' - there is apprarently an ASIO plugin for Winamp, and one for Foobar would make it perfect for my hardware - I use an SPDIF output to a Audio Alchemy DAC ( I like multibit ).

I guess having said this I should maybe learn to do some some scripting/programming and make one myself, but no harm in asking!

RF

Reply #2
Yay! many thanks!

RF

Reply #3
I have tried the 36 and 37 versions of this ASIO output, but can't get it working with my M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

Has anyone else had success?

I am using the "0036" drivers from M-Audio.  I have tried clearing the "Disable audio app use of Monitor Mixer and Patchbay/Router" but that doesn't help.

I am specifically getting the following error:

INFO (foo_output_asio(dll)) : open : 44100 Hz, LINEAR PCM, 16 bits, 2 channels
INFO (foo_output_asio(dll)) : ASIO device type [channel 0] : Int32LSB
INFO (foo_output_asio(dll)) : ASIO device type [channel 1] : Int32LSB
ERROR (foo_output_asio(dll)) : unsupported output data format.

-Reardon

Reply #4
try 24bit padded to 32bit as output format

Reply #5
"try 24bit padded to 32bit as output format "

How?

Reply #6
prefs>playback>output (tick show all options) confirm the warning and pick 24bit fixed point padded to 32bit

Reply #7
Ok... got that working.  Any idea how to it to use the SPDIF port instead of the Wavout port?  In ASIO mode, it seems like the cards mixer is disabled, so I can't send stuff to the SPDIF out.  Also, setting Windows (WinXP in this case) to use each of the cards ports doesn't do anything.  Basically, the ASIO driver is hardwired to the "M-Audio Delta AP 1/2" port.

Thoughts?

Also, why 24-bit padded, rather than 16-bit padded?

-Reardon

Reply #8
Try changing the "shift output channels" option on the asio plugin config.
I have a terratec ewx24/96 and i have to change it to 2 for it to output to digital

btw I use 16bit padded to 32bit. i would like to hear and answer to your question aswell.

hope it helps

regards
AMED
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #9
Is there any particular reason for using 16 bits instead of 24? I mean, you appear to have a 24 bit card...

Reply #10
for example if i was using a 16 wave and my output was 24bit padded to 32, where does the extra 8 bits come from to make the 16 bit wav to 24 bit ?. Is it just padded to 24 bit and then padded to 32 bit. If you see what i'm trying to say.

R
AMED
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #11
Since all input formats are converted to 64-bit floating point, then downsampled before output, 16 bit wav files are effectively padded to 24 bits by that output resolution.

Reply #12
Is there any reason to use 24 bit padded to 32 instead of 32 bit fixed point? Both seem to work correctly.

Reply #13
Not that I know of, unless you plan to use dithering at that resolution.

Reply #14

i'd like to know that too.
i have the m-audio revolution 7.1 (true 24bit soundcard). should i use 24 padded to 32 or 32 fixed point. i don't want to dither and i want to get bit identical output as much as it is possible.

Reply #15

I've read somewhere that dithering at resolutions higher than 16bits are completly unneccesary (something about that artifacts introduced from rounding will be so minisculous that it cannot possibly be perceived by the human ear at resolutions from 24bit and up) ...
Is this to be taken as a "given fact"? Or is it pure hogwash?
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts