Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mixxx (Read 4012 times) previous topic - next topic

Mixxx

Mixxx is a digital DJ system, where wave, ogg and mp3 files can be mixed on a computer for use in live performances. Filters, crossfader, and speed control are provided.

Official website

Mixxx

Reply #1
NICE! I've been wanting a nice (and free) software dj system. And it supports Vorbis!

Mixxx

Reply #2
What about covering win32 platforms as well, do you know any (edit:) other (free) programs that work under win9X?

Mixxx

Reply #5
Thanks for pointing that one out, I will give it a try.

You can't, it's not coded yet 
But I have the basic layout ready in my mind (and on the site). It's just a matter of (free) time.

Mixxx

Reply #6
I'm planning to do a cross platform one to replace Traktor DJ (that I use under OSX). But I don't have the time right now.

If anyone is willing to help : OrdinateurDJ

Woo, this is going to my bookmarks, I wish you all the best in that project.

Mixxx

Reply #7
[deleted]

Mixxx

Reply #8
What about covering win32 platforms as well, do you know any (edit:) other (free) programs that work under win9X?

i'm using the win32 version here ... under downloads 1.2

Mixxx

Reply #9
Thanks for pointing that one out, I will give it a try.

But I have the basic layout ready in my mind (and on the site). It's just a matter of (free) time.

why dont you joing mixx team?

Mixxx

Reply #10

Hehe, I was referring to the original post.  Sorry about the confusion. Of course your planned software is equally interesting. Unfortunately my programming experience is extremely limited, so I can't help in that department. I can only offer you my support as alpha tester and helping out in the idea department, but I think you have the fundamentals worked out well. Keep it up!

I can't get Mixxx to use any of my other soundcard outputs. Running Windows, I see in the dropdown box where I setup the channel routing:
P (channel 1)
P (channel 2)
P (channel 1)
P (channel 2)
S (channel 1)
S (channel 2)

I can only select the P-channels. If I try to select an S-channel, it jumps right back to "none". Both "P (channel 1)" route to the same output.

edit: above is untrue! I can only have one type of channel open at a time. S-channel outputs to both 1st and 2nd stereo out but simultaniously, while P-channel only outputs to the 1st stereo out.

I also noticed, that the sample rate you can setup is probably only for the internal mixer. My souncard's panel says it is playing 48kHz sampled sound, so I guess there is a final resampling stage before the output.

I'm also confused by the way headphone cueing is supposed to work. If a song is sent to the headphones it can't be heard on the main out. So if I actually want to mix, I have to do it all listening to the main out.

Mixxx

Reply #11
why dont you joing mixx team?

At the time I was thinking of such a software I searched the net for the kind of software I was looking for (like be able to use and merge playlists with different computers). And none of them were looking even close to what I wanted (Traktor is really a step further in DJing but has bugs and limitations). And Mixxx is among them.

Unfortunately this is only vaporware for the moment. And I am not starting to code it very soon, because I have to concentrate on MPC and Matroska first.

Mixxx

Reply #12
What would interest me is a open-source (or even free without source) implementation of FinalScratch, requiring either a multichannel I/O sound card, or using different sound cards for input from each table and another for output.  It would be nice if it worked with existing FS vinyl's.

That's interresting. But that would mean I have to buy the Final Scratch system and even a second turntable for fully testing the possibilities (maybe even a third for skilled DJs). That's not plan for the short term and my goal is to really get rid of vynils. But maye when the software is stable that could be a good addition.

Mixxx

Reply #13
Has anybody reverse engineered the Final Scratch system?

There's another similar system whos name escapes me at the moment which works differently. One uses discs with a continuous timecode all thru the disc, the other has a repeating timecode. The former is best if you like to drop the needle anywhere on the disc, the latter is better for simple beat matching. I can't remember which uses which though 

Mixxx

Reply #14
It seems impossible for me to open more than one drive with audio files under XP. Has anybody succeeded in open more than one main directory?