Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cd vs everything else (Read 10269 times) previous topic - next topic

Cd vs everything else

Reply #25
@ perdition & Manco:
I'm sorry, but the kind of subjectivists just like you that have atleast given computer audio a chance would agree that youre sound cards are crap.
Go to http://www.head-fi.org/

@ Manco:
If you feel the need to turn up the bass on your system this means that you wither have shit headphones or shit taste. Why whould we take you seriously?

Cd vs everything else

Reply #26
@ perdition & Manco:
I'm sorry, but the kind of subjectivists just like you that have atleast given computer audio a chance would agree that youre sound cards are crap.

@ Manco:
If you feel the need to turn up the bass on your system this means that you wither have shit headphones or shit taste. Why whould we take you seriously?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371153"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Uuuuh dude haven't you been reading any of the posts. I already said in my FIRST post that this was MY personal opinion!! This was strictly a comparion with MY equipement, as I already said in my first post. I have even said that I accepted that my Comp equip was not that good.

How can you make such a hostile/rude comment when I already said in my first post that this had nothing to do with other peoples equip. strictly my own opinion!!

I said that my card was probably not good, I said that my headphones were not the best, c'mon what more do you want so that you would understand that is MY OPINION WITH MY EQUIPEMENT. Do I have to apologise to you that I have a lesser audiocard??!!

How can you swear and insult me like that without reading my posts, I have not insulted or ridiculed anybody, you insult somebody just like that.

Can you respect other peoples opinion? Because I CAN!!

Cd vs everything else

Reply #27
One thing worth mentioning is that music signal processed under Windows operating system might get some bitrate restriction. I got some improvement in sound quality using the Direct Sound v2.0 setting in Foobar 2000.

Cd vs everything else

Reply #28
@ Manco:

What kind of bull is this? People buy different speakers or headphones sometimes, just to get different bass response. What is the difference between doing this electronically(assuming a properly behaving equalization system is used) or by purchasing a different headphone for it's inherant equalization?

-Chris

Cd vs everything else

Reply #29
One thing worth mentioning is that music signal processed under Windows operating system might get some bitrate restriction. I got some improvement in sound quality using the Direct Sound v2.0 setting in Foobar 2000.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371167"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm using the Open AL dll for my output (Creative cards only), and I like it.
voted 'Most likely to veer your thread' three straight years!

Cd vs everything else

Reply #30
@Manco: So you discovered that crappy onboard PC audio with EQ doesn't sound as good to you as CDs on a "hifi" stereo. Ok great. Nobody here really cares. It's not news, and not something most people around here start topics on. It was pointed out to you that your onboard sound is not going to be any good anyway. And that EQing with PCs in general can be suspect as well if you don't know what you're doing. So really, people here aren't going to care about what you say regarding your opinions on your substandard PC audio experience.

If nothing else, at least maybe you learned that PC audio requires at least a little investment of time to find out what works, and a few dollars toward a decent soundcard & speakers to be able to approach "hifi" equivalence.

Cd vs everything else

Reply #31
@ perdition & Manco:

@ Manco:

Uuuuh dude haven't you been reading any of the posts. I already said in my FIRST post that this was MY personal opinion!! This was strictly a comparion with MY equipement, as I already said in my first post. I have even said that I accepted that my Comp equip was not that good.

How can you make such a hostile/rude comment when I already said in my first post that this had nothing to do with other peoples equip. strictly my own opinion!!

I said that my card was probably not good, I said that my headphones were not the best, c'mon what more do you want so that you would understand that is MY OPINION WITH MY EQUIPEMENT. Do I have to apologise to you that I have a lesser audiocard??!!

How can you swear and insult me like that without reading my posts, I have not insulted or ridiculed anybody, you insult somebody just like that.

Can you respect other peoples opinion? Because I CAN!!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371159"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You make a post where you tell us about your invalid and subjective test and you won't acknowledge what several members kindly try to inform you about.
You clearly didnt read the terms of service.
All this can be percieved as rude, even hostile.
I didnt mean to insult you but you should read up on the TOS a decide if this is the right board for you.

Cd vs everything else

Reply #32
...is for you lot to come around my house blindfolded one at a time and have me put you all in an identical situation, and do manual abx style testing with an independant adjudicator...

Tuesdays work for me - I'll bring Guinness...

If subjective means that people who listen to music 3 feet from a whirring computer cant hear the difference and I can then yes it was subjective. But then you cant make ABX tests which will take that sort of thing into account

Incorrect. For one, many computers are available that are very low noise...

...like mine.  Built with silence (among other things) in mind.
voted 'Most likely to veer your thread' three straight years!

Cd vs everything else

Reply #33
One day Joe Sixpack decides he heard enough about how great CD audio is and decides to find out on his own. He buys a $40 portable and a CD reissue of his favorite vinyl album. He likes bass, so he punches that "MegaBass" button on the portable. The CD plays, and he is surprised at how noticeably worse it sounds than his vinyl.

He goes to HA and posts his findings. When pointed out that he is using a POS CD player and the wrong methodology (no level matching, EQ etc.), he says "I know, but did you read my first post? I said it is strictly my personal opinion".

Cd vs everything else

Reply #34
I am in the middle of backing up my cd-collection to eac+flac and it is going well however, because of this "operation" I got the chance to listen to some old cds of mine. And I came to really dissapointing conclusion;

Cds sound better than any sort of lossy compression ...

Hi Manco, the problem is that you made this statement but then went on to expalin a test procedure that didn't even test for the difference between lossless and original. As has been pointed out many times above you only tested the difference between different sound systems with different (and quite quirky) EQ settings. Your tests truely prove nothing.

If you want to test just one specific thing, like the difference between an audio CD versus lossless encodes, played on your same stereo system, then you should try burning two copies of the same CD. Burn one directly from the original and the burn other  from lossy encodes (AAC 160VBR for example) on the harddrive (make sure the tracks are ripped with a good program like EAC and encoded properly as well).

You will end up with two CD's that are both full 44.1kHz 16bit stereo PCM (exactly the same format as the original CD) but only the first will be full CD quality, the second will be limited to no more than the quality of the lossy encodings. Now just mark the discs to tell them apart but not identify which is which to your "helper"  (yes you need a helper for this listening test, trust me that it doesn't work to listen to them and make judgements if you know in advance which is which). So for example just mark the original with one dot and the lossy with two dots or whatever.

Now get your helper to randomly select one of the two CD's (say flip a coin) and play a track for you (on your stereo with the EQ settings of your choice), then to play the same track on the other CD and let you decide which one sounds best (or if you can tell them apart). Dont tell your helper which disc is which but instead let him/her simply note down (without telling you) whether your preferred disc  was the "one dot" or the "two dot" disc. After you've listed to a range of tracks and made the comparisions then you can look at the results and (knowing the "one dot" is the original etc) tell how well you can distingish the original from the encoded.

Why don't you try this with AAC VBR 160 and let us know how you go. I'm not saying that you wont be able to distingish between them but you may find the results interesting.