Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: buttons in original ui... (Read 3994 times) previous topic - next topic

buttons in original ui...

I would really like the ability to define external bitmap (or maybe vector image) for each button. 

In bitmap case the resolution and display size of each bitmap should be freely seleted by the user,

in case of vectors, there should of course be the possiblity to change the size after import and possibly the ability to 'auto'-change size dependable on screen resolution.

(yes the original buttons are buttugly...)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #1
(yes the original buttons are buttugly...)

Well, what do they say? "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Sure, the original buttons are simple, but at least they'll mix in an unobtrusive way with all kinds of XP styles.

That being said, I'd still deem some configurability in this regard "nice to have"™.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #2
> Well, what do they say? "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

true, thats why some basic configurability would be nice.

> Sure, the original buttons are simple, but at least they'll mix in an unobtrusive way
> with all kinds of XP styles.

no they dont, xp is pretty antialiased. (simplicity has nothing to do with jagged edges)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8

Reply #3
I can think of some possible "instant solutions"™ for you:
  • use higher display resolution so buttons end up being smaller on your monitor
  • disable buttons
  • use old foobar UI with anti-aliased text buttons :B
</kidding> 
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #4
  , actually iam doing 2. and 3. at the moment.

(and yes, another (almost) good idea would be to just let the user to select the ascii button font.)

Reply #5
or even let him define the used characters - in case an unicode-font was used ;-)
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #6
or even let him define the used characters - in case an unicode-font was used ;-)

That could be nice 
But me thinks default buttons are very pretty; simple, classic, nononsense design 
But I haven't tried them with Windows XP Style, as I'm using Windows Classic Style (with XP) 'cause I find XP Styles really buttugly.... 
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #7
I was going to add that this feature is already available in musicmusic's Columns UI, but you specified the standard UI.

Reply #8
I was going to add that this feature is already available in musicmusic's Columns UI, but you specified the standard UI.

wasnt aware of that, (was just playing with that ui the other day.) will take some deeper look, tnx. (still imho that would be a nice feature for a standard ui, especially if it is not to hard to implement?)

Reply #9
my xp is uglier than those buttons so I dont care

you could just use winamp ;P

Reply #10
you could just use winamp ;P

in hell wma is the only encoder and winamp only player, yes. 

Reply #11
a) http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/
b) edit the ui dll
c) change to whatever sexy icon you desire

... that being said, I would love the icon menu region to be more configurable ...

- possibility to customize the button menu region, like all the menus et al (by default it would still be the old one but one could deside to put a create playlist button, etc.)
- with that the possibility to attach custom icons