Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ReplayGain for AAC files -- Is it possible? (Read 3293 times) previous topic - next topic

ReplayGain for AAC files -- Is it possible?

Just curious, the topic itself pretty much covers the question.  Is such a thing even possible due to a different compression format?

br0adband
The difference between genius and stupidity?

Genius has limits.

Reply #1
at least with foobar it is.... but i am not sure if any player apart from fb2k will read the tags

Reply #2
In OS X there is a program called iVolume that uses the replay gain algorithms to normalize the volume. It's $7.00 and works on all the formats that iTunes supports including protected AAC. The volume adjustments carry over to the iPod as well.

iVolume Information

Reply #3
Thisis nice for Apple users (iVolume), but will Windows users have the same option? Is there a program for Windows that does the same thing as iVolume for the Mac which causes iTunes to adjust the "Volume Adjustment" slider that you can find in the information dialog of iTunes for each song?

Reply #4
It's possible to do this in a standards compliant way by modifying data in the AAC files, so that I'll work on any player and on any platform. But nobody seems to have written the software yet.

Reply #5
Sure, for Windows use WaveGain. I am currently ripping all audio tracks to two formats, FLAC and AAC (for iPod). I use EAC to rip the tracks to FLAC, and keep the WAV files after extraction. Then I drop the WAV's in WaveGain, to calculate and apply the ReplayGain values before encoding in iTunes at 192kbps. Works great for me, even though there are a couple extra steps.

I use Speeks' WaveGain frontend.

This does nothing for the volume slider in iTunes, though. You won't need to touch that after using WaveGain. Although if you have an EU iPod, you will probably want to use a utility like EUPod VolumeBoost. FYI, all iPod's sold in EU have a ridiculous volume limit because of a damn French law. All EU citizens are forced to pay for this when they buy an iPod in the EU. I hope someone can figure out a permanent solution, so it's not necessary to use a 3rd party tool every time I copy tracks to my iPod. There seems to be a fix for people with Mac's, but not for PC's.

Reply #6
What I was hoping for would be something like an AACGain type program to take already encoded content and perform ReplayGain functions on files to level them all out.  Right now I'm doing the 3 step for encoding:

EAC Secure rips to WAV (One ripper to rule them all)
WaveGain to level them all out (One leveler to find them)
iTunes encoding to AAC 192 (One encoder to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)

I was hoping to knock out the EAC and WaveGain steps because I have hundreds of CDs to encode but for now I'll just continue with the present method.

Thanks,
br0adband
The difference between genius and stupidity?

Genius has limits.