Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Decode to wav (Read 4242 times) previous topic - next topic

Decode to wav

What decoder do you use when you want to decode a Ogg Vorbis file to wav, to be written to a audio cd?

Are the files decoded correctly if i use the diskwriter plugin in Winamp 2.95?

Decode to wav

Reply #1
If you need to record an audio CD from Vorbis files, you could easily use:
BurnAtOnce or Burrrn , both have Ogg Vorbis decoding built-in.
To decode to wav files, Winamp or Foobar2000 diskwriter will do the job.
Sometimes I use John33's OggDropXPd as well to decode my files.

Decode to wav

Reply #2
you can use dBpowerAmp Music converter. A plugin for nero burning rom is available which allows burning ogg files to audio cds directly. u dont have to manually decode the oggs in wav. try a google search u will get the link to this plugin 

Decode to wav

Reply #3
AFAIK all decoders use the same Ogg libraries, so results should be be identical no matter which program is used.

Decode to wav

Reply #5
I have decoded a ogg file using Winamp 2.95, dbPoweramp, Foobar 2000 and Oggdrop. All the 4 wav files are different. Are some of the decoders flawed? Are they all flawed?

When i use Foobar 2000 to compare the files, the dbpoweramp and foobar decoded wavs have 9871 different samples. Does that mean they are nearly identical?

The foobar and winamp decoded wavs have 3937835 different samples.

Decode to wav

Reply #6
to garathor:
your results are unexpected  are u sure that u are using the same bitrate for all the encoders?

to spoon:
this is off topic but i had this thought for a while. can we have a gt3b1 vorbis codec in dBpowerAMP?

Decode to wav

Reply #7
All the encoders? Only one encode is done (using the GT3b1 original compile, quality 7).

Then i decoded the resulting ogg file with winamp, dbpoweramp, foobar and oggdrop.

Decode to wav

Reply #8
Garathor: Make sure that you've eliminated all variables in determining the reasons for the discrepancy.

One possible cause is that foobar2000 might be making use of replaygain information in the vorbis file, while Winamp decode might be ignoring it, creating files with different gain levels--identical in audio data contained within, but not bit-identical.  This could account for the huge discrepancy between Winamp and fb2k/dbpoweramp (don't know Winamp's support for replaygain in vorbis files)

Another possibility is the addition of header information of different lengths in the decoded files -- a shift of several bytes might caused numerous mismatched samples in files where the audio data is actually identical.  This would not affect audio data comparisons, but it would affect binary file comparison results greatly.

Decode to wav

Reply #9
How can i find out what the cause is? I don't use replaygain.

Decode to wav

Reply #10
I will leave it to the more experienced forum regulars to explain how exactly to do that.  It is a pain in the neck to do unless you enjoy that sort of thing (both doing and explaining it  ).

You should not assume that programs which decode with the same decoding engine will produce identical output.  Switch settings may be different within each program.  Look at the Decoding tab in the properties for the Vorbis decoder in Winamp.  What settings are selected by default?  How are they different from foobar2000 or dbpoweramp?

Since you mentioned that you are not adjusting gain on your encoded Vorbis file with some sort of replay gain app, I would not be surprised that some clipping has been introduced.  Clipping Prevention in Winamp would kick in to compensate during decode.  This would change the output vs straight decoding (which is likely how foobar2000 is doing things).

If you want the most precise decoding, foobar2000 is a better choice than Winamp at default settings.  Winamp is fine for good results with most files you'll find out there with little fuss, whereas foobar2000 is purely a power user's tool with flexibility and accuracy in mind.

Decode to wav

Reply #11
9871 different samples. Does that mean they are nearly identical?

How long was the track? it does not seem a huge amount, considering CDs have 44,100 samples per second.

Decode to wav

Reply #12
Could it be dithering that causes this different samples? Dithering adds some randomness to the least significant bit to mask audible quantization noise.

Decode to wav

Reply #13
I use goldwave.  It has a nice batch processing function for conversions.  I use it for all my WAV to FLAC conversions.  The only downside it that it currently only supports Vorbis 1.0. 

I wish I had the C++ smarts to build a GTb1 plugin for it.