Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is the highest quality audio software player? (Read 11101 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the highest quality audio software player?

Reply #25
Then again, testing only 2 samples-2 times will not yield proper ABX results (p=<0.05). Read the FAQ on this site to learn how to conduct a proper and valid ABX test.

I have not explained well, I mean:

WAV dithered with Demo compared to Cracked version is not bit identical.

Dithered both through WabeLab 4.0c.
Cracked version by ARTIC.

[EDIT: May be this should be moved to another thread]

Reply #26
Ah, but foobar2000 does sound different, when you use replaygain.  It has been awhile since I checked though; there's probably a replaygain plugin for Winamp.  Still, this is my main reason for using fb2k, though there are others.

Reply #27
I have not explained well, I mean:

WAV dithered with Demo compared to Cracked version is not bit identical.

Dithered both through WabeLab 4.0c.
Cracked version by ARTIC.

[EDIT: May be this should be moved to another thread]

Are results bit-identical when you dither twice with same version ?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #28
Yes!
I forgot to say it before.
I repeated dither action 2 or 3 times in win98 with version 1, and they were identical!

Then I repeated dither action 2 or 3 times in winXP, and thay are identical, but different to win98 dithered with the same version.

DirectX version was 8.1, the version that was recommended for Waves L2 4.0!!

Even I downloaded three files on eMule, but they are exactly the same version by ARTIC.

Reply #29
Thanks for friendly reminder. I don´t have here my good speakers to blind test, neither connection speed to upload samples...

Neither are necessary to properly conduct an ABX test. If there IS a difference it will still come though. Oh, and headphones are ALWAYS better for ABX (even if they are not that good). You also don't need a fast Internet collection to upload samples, as proper ABX-able samples should be 10-30 seconds-long and encoded to any lossless format, which would leave you with decent-size samples ready for upload even in a Dial-Up connection.

Taken from http://www.pcabx.com/training/getting_started.htm

PCABX requires at least a Pentium 200 PC with a good quality sound card and speakers. Your must be running Windows 95 or 98, 32 megs of RAM, and 10-200 megs of free disk space.
The benefits that you will get out of PCABX will depend on the quality of your PC's sound card and the amplifier and loudspeakers that you use. The higher their quality the more benefit that you will receive.

Reply #30
I tend to think that FB2K is _da best_ for Windows, but how about Linux? Is XMMS really the best there is?

Reply #31
There's no GNU/Linux player which comes even close to foobar2000 in terms of features or theoretical sound quality, but the difference between XMMS or ALSA Player and fb2k is largely theoretical and I doubt you'd be able to perceive it under normal listening conditions.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #32
Thanks, I'll look into it.
(AlsaPlayer, I mean)

Reply #33
Then I repeated dither action 2 or 3 times in winXP, and thay are identical, but different to win98 dithered with the same version.

Dithering is adding noise, that is a signal built using a random number generator. The differences can be explained by the operating system not providing the same random numbers to the program.

Reply #34
I will blind a test, and upload samples of Fb2k and Waves L2,

Any recommended sample to do the test?

Preferenced codec to upload?