Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD-R vs DVD-R (Read 11941 times) previous topic - next topic

CD-R vs DVD-R

Hello!

These days I wondered should I buy a DVD writer or just a new CD (my old one's gone  ). Since I've never bothered with DVDs, I have no impression of them, espetially how long can I rely on the stored content (software, backups). Does anybody know if there is as good DVD bearer as (let say) Verbatim MetalAZO or something? 
10x

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #1
Well you can burn cds with a dvd-writer and dvd-writers are very cheap right now so it's not very hard to choose.
Unless you want to wait for dual-layer writers

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #2
I read about some interesting features on TDK DVD-R media.
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #3
I use DVD+R as they are supposed to (according to studies I have read online and the manufacturer specs) have better error recovery/defect management designed into the DVD+R format than DVD-R has. I have been using them for quite some time to make DVD-ROMs for my audio file backups with no errors. It's nice to save all my .WAV files on a 4.7GB disc.

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #4
Since I own a LiteOn DVD burner, I am able to change the Booktype Bit on DVD+R from +R to -ROM ... this greatly enhances performance and compatibility.

Using Taiyo Yuden +R media (what else  ), I get low error rates and decent handling ... and a good relation between storage and price.
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #5
Where can you get TY media?  What brands are they sold under?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #6
Where can you get TY media? What brands are they sold under?

In Germany, only Plextor sells TY DVD+Rs, afaik (and those are terribly hard to find, in my experience). Allegedly, there's one specific kind of Verbatim DVD+Rs which are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden (http://www.cdr-forum.de/detaildvd.php?ID=1981), although generally Verbatim sells their own media, of course (or rather their parent company's, Mitsubishi Chemical).

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #7
In Germany, only Plextor sells TY DVD+Rs, afaik (and those are terribly hard to find, in my experience). Allegedly, there's one specific kind of Verbatim DVD+Rs which are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden (http://www.cdr-forum.de/detaildvd.php?ID=1981), although generally Verbatim sells their own media, of course (or rather their parent company's, Mitsubishi Chemical).

DVD+Rs are all pretty good when you have the right burner. The BenQ DW800A seems to be the writer of choice right now. In recent c't reviews, it burned all tested DVD+R 4x media at 8x with lower error rates than other burners have at 4x. I want to buy one myself. As for Plextor DVD+Rs, you should be able to find them at Saturn stores (yes, those with the horrible "Geiz ist Geil!" thing).

And long-term reliability... there's no reliable data about it, i fear. But i guess not much longer than CD-R. Make sure you follow the guidelines from here.

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #8
Reliablility of DVD media is anybody's guess. I guess we need to wait a couple of years to find out just how reliable DVD media really is.

Remember all those claims about CDR media lasting 100+ years, circulated by CDR manufacturing companies at the time CDR's were just released into the market?.........

MOD's are probably a better (and more expensive) option if you're looking for reliable long-term backup or storage media.

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #9
Where can you get TY media?  What brands are they sold under?

TY -R is sold by TDK, Fuji and Verbatim (Coloured DVD-R)

TY +R is sold by Plextor and Verbatim (Coloured DVD+R)

In the Feurio! online store, you can search for Manufacturer ID's directly ... the sell within the EU IIRC ... and they have Plextor CD-R/DVD+R

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #10
Reliablility of DVD media is anybody's guess. I guess we need to wait a couple of years to find out just how reliable DVD media really is.

Well, there are a few reasons to believe DVD recordable media will last longer than CDs:
1.- Better error correction
2.- The way they are built: the reflective layer is not exposed, it is "sandwiched" between the dye layer and a plastic layer. This must prevent corrosion, scratches, peeling, oxidation, etc.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #11

DVD+Rs are all pretty good when you have the right burner. The BenQ DW800A seems to be the writer of choice right now. In recent c't reviews, it burned all tested DVD+R 4x media at 8x with lower error rates than other burners have at 4x. I want to buy one myself. As for Plextor DVD+Rs, you should be able to find them at Saturn stores (yes, those with the horrible "Geiz ist Geil!" thing).

Hehe, I actually have the BenQ DW800A. I bought it right away when I saw the test results in c't (seriously, that burner is a godsend, it has the best quality results in c't so far, it's fast and quiet, has great error correction, doesn't mess up in any of the less important areas (CD burning, for example) and on top of that it's much cheaper than the second best choice, Plextor's PX708).

And I looked for DVD+Rs in a Saturn store once, but they didn't have Plextor's.

edit: As for reliability, there's one simple but not so obvious point which gives DVD+-Rs a big advantage over CD-Rs: Their capacity is huge, so there's always room for some par2 files.

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #12
And I looked for DVD+Rs in a Saturn store once, but they didn't have Plextor's.

Look for the coloured Verbatim DVD+R in slimcases ... my Saturn store has lots of them ... all Taiyo Yudens at a price of 10€/5 pcs. (not too much for my taste).

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #13
use DVD+R as they are supposed to (according to studies I have read online and the manufacturer specs) have better error recovery/defect management
Nonsense. DVD+R does not have any defect management in hardware, and for DVD+RW it has been specified and has been used for propaganda purposes, but has not been implemented anywhere. This defect management was supposed to work similar as on Hard Discs, btw. It has *nothing* do to with error correction. Anything which wants to be called 'DVD' (maybe except for dvd-ram) has the same error correction scheme. Otherwise old readers could never read it

On the contrary, Pioneer has a working implementation of software-based defect management for DVD-RW ('Mt. Fuji'), but the software-support is just as missing...

The Plextor 708 is rather expensive for what it can do (the Pioneer A07 is cheaper and has, with a hacked firmware, 8x writing on 4x -R media), however, the price includes of course 2 years of warranty, easy RMA, a support departement which really answers your questions and so on.

Its write quality on really good media is not better than a Pioneer's drive.

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #14
I'll burn my first DVD-R very soon and I'd like to know
what app will tell me if there are errors, etc...on my
freshly burnt DVD-R... thanks.

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #15
Try Nero CD/DVD Speed,
Should be at Ahead's site (it's free)
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #16
DVD+Rs are all pretty good when you have the right burner. The BenQ DW800A seems to be the writer of choice right now. In recent c't reviews, it burned all tested DVD+R 4x media at 8x with lower error rates than other burners have at 4x.

Would a burner like this be just as reliable if you slapped it into a USB 2.0 enclosure and used it externally?

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #17
Yes, unless the external exclosure has crappy cooling and makes the drive overheat.

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #18
Anyone know where to get those Benq drives in the US.  Seems the big retailers don't have em
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #20
Thanks CiTay,

guess I didn't go far enough in my google search. Most sites I came up with were german or french.

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #21
guess I didn't go far enough in my google search. Most sites I came up with were german or french.
What's wrong with that? 

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #22
Thanks CiTay,

Well, for Google, you can use this little trick: "Advanced Search" -> "Language - Return pages written in: English"

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #23
Anyone know where to get those Benq drives in the US.  Seems the big retailers don't have em

I work for a reseller of computer technology.  We carry the DW800A.  It is not listed on our website but it is in stock.  I don't feel comfortable posting a price because that might be considered advertising.  Send me a PM or an IM and I'll let you know the price.

Did you know you can pay for an upgrade that make the DW800A a "plus/minus" drive?

The Official BenQ 2x2 DVD-R/RW Supported Firmware

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #24

Well, there are a few reasons to believe DVD recordable media will last longer than CDs:

here comes a brave man or woman...

1.- Better error correction

Yes, but more dense data packing. So a physical defect of a given size will obliterate more data, so the error correction needs to be stronger.

2.- The way they are built: the reflective layer is not exposed, it is "sandwiched" between the dye layer and a plastic layer. This must prevent corrosion, scratches, peeling, oxidation, etc.

but will mean flexing of the disc (or any other action that causes the disc to warp or bend or similar) could cause much greater shearing force across the actual data layer - there's something very strong on both sides of it to pull it apart.

Of course we all hope the differences will be in DVD+/-Rs favour vs CD-R, but it really is too early to tell what the actual real-world problems will be.

Everyone "knew" the new tape formulations launched in the 1970s were better, and much more robust that what was around in the 1960s. But they're often the ones which need baking to get them to play at all, whilst recordings from the 1960s are still fine.

Some studios still use analogue tape to solve longevity fears.

Cheers,
David.