Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ReplayGain for WMA Lossless (Read 4050 times) previous topic - next topic

ReplayGain for WMA Lossless

I've searched the forums here but can't find an answer to this question. 

Does anyone know if there is a volume normalization program like mp3gain or wavegain for lossless WMA files?

TIA

- Jeff

Reply #1
I don't believe there is. But since ther are lossless you can always decode them, use wavegain, and then compress them again.

Reply #2
Yes, but that procedure is lossy

Reply #3
Yes, but that procedure is lossy

I'm not following.  What procedure is lossy?  If I decode a losslessly compressed file, don't I end up with my original wave?

Is WaveGain lossy somehow?

Reply #4
He may mean that wavegain changes the wave file in such a way that reversing the wavegain will not get you back a file bit-identical to the original (due to rounding errors in calculating the new amplitudes for each sample).  Of course, if you don't intend to reverse the applied wavegain in the future, there's no problem with ancl's method.

Reply #5
Is WaveGain lossy somehow?

Yes, a very small bit.

Reply #6
I'm not following. What procedure is lossy? If I decode a losslessly compressed file, don't I end up with my original wave?

WaveGain modifies the actual data of the wav. It does not store
the gain in a tag like replaygain implementations for other formats.
If u change the volume level with WaveGain, I don't think u can
ever set it back to the exact volume it originally had. It's a matter
of rounding, IIRC. Plus, changing volume introduces a minor decrease
in quality, which shouldn't be too bad, given that it's smaller than that
caused by MPC --quality 10, as said by one of the gurus in a WaveGain
related thread. That's why it can't be called a lossless procedure. So, no,
if u decode a losslessly compressed file with which came from a WaveGained
wav, u won't get back your original wav.

Why don't u use foobar2000's in-built replaygain function? It uses tags for the
formats that support it natively, and a database for those that don't.
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #7
Thanks, all.  I'm on board now (and will check out Foobar 2000).

Has anyone done a sound quality comparison of original wave vs. wavegained wave?  I admit, I didn't search 

Thanks again.

Reply #8
Has anyone done a sound quality comparison of original wave vs. wavegained wave?  I admit, I didn't search 

No need. The quality loss is inaudible (after reversing volume change obviously) except in really extreme circumstances.

But when you're dealing with lossless, you may not like any loss.

Reply #9
Ok, one last (quick) question before I mangle all my files.  If I'm reading the docs right on the Wavegain site, the program is applying a linear gain adjustment, not any sort of dynamic compression or the like.  Is that right?

Last question, I swear...

Reply #10
Ok, one last (quick) question before I mangle all my files.  If I'm reading the docs right on the Wavegain site, the program is applying a linear gain adjustment, not any sort of dynamic compression or the like.  Is that right?

Yes