Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can I "restore" --nogap files? (Read 3208 times) previous topic - next topic

Can I "restore" --nogap files?

I have some albums and tracks encoded with the --nogap option, and would like to know if it's possible to turn them into normal lame mp3:s, with the gapless info in the lame tag.

I've looked around, but haven't found what this --nogap option did really. Since it needed the surrounding tracks to work, did it take the beginning from the next file and joined them to the previous in some way, to fill up the padding? If so, is there a tool to join the mp3:s and then split them up with normal delay and padding?
I don't have the original records, so I won't be able to compare the results with wavs in any way.

Reply #1
Why would you need that?
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #2
Because the time info is not reported correctly. Vbr tracks show up beeing anything between 30 s. - 40 min, when they really are a couple of minutes long. This is very annoying. When I encoded these files, --nogap was the only way to get gapless mp3 with lame.

Reply #3
Have you tried to restore the header of the MP3 using VBR Fix?
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Reply #4
VBRFix would probably do the trick. Check DickD:s post in this thread:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=120055
--nogap will remove the VBR header if you had a VBR encode, so track length and seeking may be messed up for VBR files if they rely on the Xing/LAME header.

Reply #5
foobar fixes the headers, they themself is not the problem. But I sure would like to know what --nogap really does to the files?

I've only seen what blade did to achieve gapless output, and that whas to take the beginning of the file after the encoded, and put in the else empty mp3 padding. If lame did it that way, I just have to fix the header with foobar and set the padding to zero, and they will play gapless, presuming the delay is standard lame. But if lame did it the blade way, what I really want to do is removing the extra part in the end of the files, attach it to where it belongs and then adding info in the lame tag about the delay and padding.

I guess I have to experiment a little, trying some encodings with --nogap and  compare output with different headers.