Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What is the best MP3 Tag Utiltiy???

Audiograbber
[ 1 ] (0.6%)
Dr.TAG
[ 3 ] (1.9%)
ID3-TagIT
[ 6 ] (3.8%)
MP3 Collector
[ 1 ] (0.6%)
MP3 Explorer
[ 0 ] (0%)
MP3 Tag Studio
[ 10 ] (6.3%)
Music Library
[ 0 ] (0%)
Tag&Rename
[ 33 ] (20.9%)
Others
[ 104 ] (65.8%)

Total Members Voted: 236

Topic: What is the best MP3 Tag Utiltiy? (Read 11872 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the best MP3 Tag Utiltiy?

Reply #25
I don't use the MP3 format much (mostly FLAC and some Vorbis), but the tagger I use is Tag&Rename.  It's not free, and there are probably free alternatives that are just a good, but it's the one I know the best, and it meets my needs very well as a multi-format tagger.

A close runner-up in my opinion would be The GodFather (although it doesn't support FLAC as yet  ).

Edit:  To amend what I wrote about The GodFather, it does support FLAC, but you have to manually scan each folder to have it "see" anything.  No auto-scan capabilities.  Still a powerful product, though.

Reply #26
Others --> foobar2000 is my choice.

Reply #27
Others > mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de)
Others > tag.exe (case)

foobar not because of the imho horrible usability / interface. (off topic: nice player, though (because of features))

Reply #28
i've always used foobar.

...but i'm trying to amass a small collection of "uber" standard rips, and it is not good for this purpose. it does not show what types of tagging exist in a file, and makes it very difficult to see why tag checksums might fail.

edit: i also agree with f1losof about fb2k's native tagging interface having very bad usability... and the foo_infobox plugin does not support multiple files, so it isn't that helpful.

Reply #29
i've got to say foobar.

i forgot to tag about 30 full lenth albums in APE format. Foobar's "tag from filename" made it easy. though i did have to insert the genre tag, but that's just a small step.

Reply #30
foobar mainly but sometimes tag too
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Reply #31
I voted for Tag&Rename, but Abander Tag Control is nearly as good, as does a few things that other taggers cannot.
http://www.softartstudio.com/tagcontrol/

Reply #32
MP3 Rage and Lame

Reply #33
The Godfather's site is not loading at all for me.. I'd love to try it though.

I have been using MP3 Book Helper for quite some time for mass renaming and tagging. The interface is quite powerful. It supports MP3 and OGG, and I just checked the development version (still in testing) and they've added FLAC (finally!)

This is supposed to be a tool for managing audio-books in mp3 format, however it's the most powerful and flexible tagger I've ever used.. and it's OPEN SOURCE FREEWARE... It doesn't get much better than that!

It's getting to the point where just about everything I do on my computer can be done with open source or freeware software. The times are a changin' I guess...

Reply #34
No offence, but judging from the results, I think a "Welcome to Hydrogenaudio" would fit very well... 

Btw: I voted "Others" as I use foobar and occasionally Case's Tag with Tagger frontend.

Reply #35
Others : I like Tagger/Tag(Case) ... I'm now familiarising myself with foobar2000 and am finding it more comfortable (automatically updating paths when I rename etc. .

Reply #36
One question, what version of id3v2 does foobar use for tagging? 2.0,3.0 or 4.0 ?
I need to know, please...
On the other hand, do you know any program that shows that kind of info about mp3 files?
Thanks!!!

Reply #37
Foobar2000's Masstagger is the best.  Mp3tag coming in at second place for me.

Reply #38
MP3Tag - because it's great, free, and tags every format I use.  APE, FLAC, MP3, Vorbis, MP4/M4A, Speex.  Unfortunately it doesn't display the LAME header.  That's on my wishlist for it.

Reply #39
Other - foobar2000

It has three very neat tools: freedb masstager that works with any format, multifile info box, and last but not least, the masstagger. Once you master the tagz syntax, the latter becomes so much more powerful compared to the competition that it isn't even funny.

All of it is freeware, too.

As for the choices which are actually offered in this poll, I have tried tag&rename and dr.tag.

The former has a TERRIBLE interface. The first time I saw it, it almost made me scream. I found it cluttered as hell, and just as unintuitive. And it doesn't support mpc => uninteresting.

Dr.Tag's interface is more simple, but somehow more amateurish. The icons... I didn't like at all. It also stole my file associations and inserted its own garbage in the context menus, both without asking for a permission. Doesn't support mpc either => also uninteresting.

Reply #40
Foobar2000. Yah, it uses APEv2, and ID3v1 by default. ID3v2 is possible using plugin.
She is waiting in the air

Reply #41
Other --> foobar2000 Masstagger.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #42
Others -> Notepad, DOS copy-prompt and a hex-editor.

(Not really, but it sounds so old-school L33T I just had to write it)

Reply #43
A close runner-up in my opinion would be The GodFather (although it doesn't support FLAC as yet  ).

The GodFather v0.58 supports Flac.

It gets my vote (I guess techincally "other" got my vote  ). I use TGF to batch tag and for most tagging purposes, foobar2000 to add custom fields, and Tagger (frontend for tag.exe) for reading existing tags, as it's the only program I've found that will tell me all the tagging formats an mp3 has.
-CyberInferno

Reply #44
MP3-Info Extension

http://www.mutschler.de/mp3ext/

has a smart scanner for picking up the info for tagging,
can process whole directories at once
adds the mp3 info to the explorer status bar
adds custom icons to your mp3's based on their bitrates

fully scriptable, crazy amount of options which are neatly organized.

bit of a learning curve,but it rocks!

you definitely want to read the Readme.html it contains as well...