Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: M4A / MP4 tagging flaws (Read 2831 times) previous topic - next topic

M4A / MP4 tagging flaws

I’m using Tag&Rename to edit tag’s from .m4a file’s but I noticed that not all tags are editable. They are showing up in Tag&Rename but the tags are totally gone (not visable), I can not even add new tags to the file's. When I open the same file’s in I-Tunes or Winamp the tag’s are all there and fully editable! The m4a file’s are created with dBpowerAMP’s new Nero encoder en then I renamed the extension with the dBpowerAMP mp4 to m4a plugin.

This is annoying since I like to grap the full album info from AMG using Tag&Rename. I’m not aware of other tag editors who can do this with M4A file’s

On the other side when I encode with I-Tunes some of the file’s show in Winamp no artist info even the tag’s are there (view file info) I also tried in Foobar een optimize mp4 layout without any change

It seems that there is missing a standard in tagging mp4 / m4a containers confusing the software. Any tips…

M4A / MP4 tagging flaws

Reply #1
Mp4 tagging is not quite 100% yet, still uncompatibilities between the different programs.

I see T&R supports wma, rip / convert to WMA lossless then T&R then convert to mp4?

M4A / MP4 tagging flaws

Reply #2
Thanks for your reply, T&R supports also m4a but it’s not working 100 %.
I’m also posting here too find that well hidden perfect tool to tag my file’s.
I think that good, no perfect tagging is needed to fully enjoy digital audio. (lyrics, Art and other metadata)
It’s a must for me and any good online music store should offer file’s fully tagged.
I hope Apple will extend I-Tunes tag functionality but an advanced tag editor in dbpowerAMP would also be welcome.

I’m not planning to Rip / convert to wma loseless / tag / and the convert to mp4, this is simply too much work. I’m looking for a way to do all this in one pass. Before I RIP setting up the tag’s and then hit the Rip button.