Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

How much money would you pay for a rare/good CD?

<20 € / $
[ 10 ] (33.3%)
<30 € / $
[ 7 ] (23.3%)
<40 € / $
[ 5 ] (16.7%)
<50 € / $
[ 4 ] (13.3%)
unlimited
[ 4 ] (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Topic: How much is a good CD worth for you? (Read 4554 times) previous topic - next topic

How much is a good CD worth for you?

I am just wondering how much other people would spend on very rare CDs that they just need to own, because i just ordered a japan import CD at Amazon for 45 €. It is with 2 Bonus Tracks and a DVD and this version of the CD will never come out in any other country than Japan.
It's just that I love this band and I know it is very rare and I will be owning it, kinda like a collector of rare things I would say. But I wouldn't have paid more than 50 €, so thats my border.

Now it's you turn...

Reply #1
The most I have paid for a CD was $44 each, for the first two Survivor albums, about ten years ago.

Reply #2
I voted <$40 (i.e. <£20 at current exchange rates).

However, I'd have to own a CD for a few weeks before deciding that it was good enough to be worth that much. And I'm only going to buy it in the first place if it costs <$20 (i.e. <£10), so my answer isn't really fair!

Cheers,
David.

Reply #3
mhmm I got a CD worth over 200$ (but payed less with luck ), but I would have paid the collector price also, sooner or later. just had to have it.

here is the somewhat cheaper promo version of it

Reply #4
Null vote - I paid around €60 for my copy of Criterion's Brazil DVD release (including postage), and I would probably pay the same for a CD if it was something I wanted badly enough and I was sure I'd never have another chance to get it at that price. So my limit is probably somewhere between €50 and €100 depending on my mood and wallet, but I think it's a far cry from there to €[span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%']∞[/span]

That said, I think the most I ever paid for a CD was around €30.

Reply #5
so the vote should have been >50 instead of unlimited...my fault...

Reply #6
It is with 2 Bonus Tracks and a DVD and this version of the CD will never come out in any other country than Japan.

You can't be to sure of that. If it becomes a popular item during some years, it  might  be issued on other markets as well. Of course you still have the "rare" Japan issue.

Highest I remember paying for a CD was (the equivalent of) €35, but that was in the 80's for a double CD. I answered < €30 now, but I might consider a higher price for a box-set.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #7
I think I would stop at 100 USD, but maybe if it was really rare and I had the money, I would go higher (actually, how mush higher can you go for a non-autographed CD?).

The highest I have actually paid is 40 dollars. Too bad the CD only served "completist" purposes, as it was not that good.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #8
Well, the most I've paid so far was ~$35 for Liz Phair's Girlysound demo sessions (2 CD set).

I don't know what my absolute max would be.  It's a matter of opportunity cost...if I want the music more than I want the cash (and if I can spare the cash), then I'll buy it.

Pink Floyd's Shine On boxed set is around $270 in the US right now, and I'll surely buy that when I have the money.  If it can still be found. 

Reply #9
I am just wondering how much other people would spend on very rare CDs that they just need to own, because i just ordered a japan import CD at Amazon for 45 €. It is with 2 Bonus Tracks and a DVD and this version of the CD will never come out in any other country than Japan.

Instead, the CDs' price here in Japan is normally at 3,000 yen. Also, sellers cannot discount CDs(tapes, records), books, and newspapers due to the low. I personally don't think this is reasonable price for some bonus tracks. So if there weren't bonus tracks, people would buy cheap U.S.(or other country) releases. Some people even buy reasonable and legal Japanese CDs reimported from Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Anyway, since I don't need bonus tracks and translated booklets, I usually buy CDs from U.S.

Reply #10
I think 40/50€ for a rare CD
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]