Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: special filter req. (Read 3348 times) previous topic - next topic

special filter req.

gday..

i got some recordings from vinyl.. and ocationly
there is some deep "rumble" from the pickup..

any recomandations what to use..
(best possible alternative.. DX or VST..)

special filter req.

Reply #1
DX or VST?  hmm.  if you can find yourself a parametric EQ.

i'm not sure if Shibatch's SuperEQ comes as a VST, but there's a winamp plug for it.

otherwise just use cooledit pro (adobe audition) scientific filters set to highpass at about 10-20hz (depending on variables of your deck... my old cartridge would give 8hz but my dodgy-made-for-scratching cartridge gives 15hz).

not sure what program you're using, but most notable sound progs come with a highpass or parametric EQ.

PS:  what kind of deck are you using?  i'm looking to upgrade and wouldn't mind feedback

[edit]

get your plugins here!  w00t!

http://www.digilogue.de/

these are all freeware, and (pc) VST plus DX versions.  the one you're looking for is the "blue filter" which will do lowpass, highpass, etc.  just what you need.

special filter req.

Reply #2
Do you want that for playback or editing ?

For editing, I'd recommend to use a parametric eq as well ... just build yourself a subsonic filter to get rid of that low-end rumble.

If you can pinpoint the frequency range in whicht the rumble occurs, you could use a notch filter, too.

I use Sonic Foundry or Waves Plugs for that task ... and I am always totally satisfied with the results.
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

special filter req.

Reply #3
gday...

TnX. for swift reply..

@mugfunky.
am using wavelab mostly.. coz. i like it so much.. 
realy a good editor.. but have some bugs that turns it a bit
awkward to use sometimes..
(got waves installed know..)

my deck.. well. it`s a heavy tweaked rega planar 3.
mounted on a 5kg. massive wood block..
silver wire with teflon.. no cuts.. pickup to amp..
next stepp is to change the motor.

this recording is from a 69 shellac EP.
which i used a shure M75b (mm) picup that i had laying around..
(brand new.. manufactured in 73/74) i think..))

there some passages on that record.. where the pickup
go realy deep.. so the gap between the stylus and the housing..
is to small. thus the pickup grounds with the shellac..
i can re-rip.. but then i will lose the loving feeling of the shure..

presets.. presets.. presets..

special filter req.

Reply #4
Hi N86

some manufaturers offer(ed?) a special pickup needle for shellac. Their groove is much wider than on vinyl recordings, so the stylus radius has to be bigger too.

For vinyl recordings I also would try a highpass. Or noise reduction, only active for low frequencies < 50 Hz