Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 5.1 Vorbis (Read 3403 times) previous topic - next topic

5.1 Vorbis

I got the 6 channel test from the Microsoft site (which has a wave and wma file) as well as the one from

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/download...s/trailers.html

where I used BeSweet to convert the vob to 5.1 wave.

I encoded the 5.1 waves using Vorbis using the command line

oggenc -q 3 -C 6 wave.wav

I played it in Winamp with in _vorbis 1.3.5 where it downmixed to 2 channels.  Left, right, centre, and LFE seemed ok but surround left appeared on the right channel and surround right appeared on the left channel.....

Am I doing something wrong?

5.1 Vorbis

Reply #1
I got the 6 channel test from the Microsoft site (which has a wave and wma file) as well as the one from

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/download...s/trailers.html

where I used BeSweet to convert the vob to 5.1 wave.

I encoded the 5.1 waves using Vorbis using the command line

oggenc -q 3 -C 6 wave.wav

I played it in Winamp with in _vorbis 1.3.5 where it downmixed to 2 channels.  Left, right, centre, and LFE seemed ok but surround left appeared on the right channel and surround right appeared on the left channel.....

Am I doing something wrong?

you configured the winamp vorbis plugin to "leave as is"???
sorry about my english... aprendan castellano wevones! :P

5.1 Vorbis

Reply #2
you configured the winamp vorbis plugin to "leave as is"???

No, I used the Downmix to stereo since I've only two speakers. 

Anyone, just to update on the situation, I've tried again to encode the Microsoft 5.1 channel wave where the test ordering is:  FL FR C BL BR LFE  with

oggenc -q 2 --raw-chan=6

Then I played it in Winamp 5.01 (in_vorbis 1.35), configuring the plugin to 'leave as is' (and listening on two speakers).  FL played on BL (very soft on the left), FR played on BR (very soft on the right), C played FL (strong on the left), BL played on C, BR disappeared, HFE played on FR (strong on the right).

Now, I configured the plugin to downmix to 2 channels (ds) with the 'correct' channel ordering.

5.1 Vorbis

Reply #3
   ???

when i posted in this topic? !!!!

i cant remember... 
sorry about my english... aprendan castellano wevones! :P

5.1 Vorbis

Reply #4
   ???

when i posted in this topic? !!!!

i cant remember...  

Nov. 23 apparently.

Any ideas on this problem?  Am I encoding it wrong or something?

5.1 Vorbis

Reply #5
Any ideas on this problem?  Am I encoding it wrong or something?

Since you got the source file from Microsoft, the channels are probably in AIFF-standard order. Vorbis uses ITU's standard (which is also used by Dolby Digital). You probably need to re-shuffle the channels before encoding.

Don't you just love standards?