Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LiveInCode: Record live audio into OGG/MP3/SPX/... (Read 13828 times) previous topic - next topic

LiveInCode: Record live audio into OGG/MP3/SPX/...

I've just released the first public version of LiveInCode.

LiveInCode provides a way to encode live audio from line-in or microphone directly into OGG, MP3, FLAC, Speex and other formats. It acts as a front-end to the command-line program LineInCode.

Since 20 Jan 2003, the website is at http://liveincode.rm.pp.ru/
Please post any ideas/suggestions/impressions about this program.

And happy holidays!

Reply #1
Wow good stuff. I like to record a lot of my old casettes through my line-in in my computer, and I used to do it using the brute force method of recording using a sound recorder, editing the wave in cool edit pro, then encoding via command line. This seriously will shave off a lot of my time. I look forward to the upcoming versions.

btw, do you know a working command line in linco for lame in preset standard? Thanks.

Reply #2
Thanks

Some known command-lines are here:
http://rm.pp.ru/?1.lineincode.usage

I guess the line you need will be
lame -r -x -s 44.1 --bitwidth 16 --preset standard - "%f.mp3"

edit: I've found an fixed a small bug with this custom mode recording, see the website for v0.91.

Reply #3
There's a new version, 0.92. It supports creation of multiple recording profiles.
For example, you may create one profile for recording music in high-quality, and one for speech (e.g. radio talk-shows, etc).

Also, it would be great if someone could test the program on Win9x. There is a report that it does not work (immediately returns to "Stopped" after user clicks "Record").

Reply #4
Also, it would be great if someone could test the program on Win9x. There is a report that it does not work (immediately returns to "Stopped" after user clicks "Record").

It worked fine on my Win98SE box. I tried both OGGENC 1.0.1 and LAME 3.93.1 so the other encoders should work fine, too.

Cheers.

/OT Happy New Year to all! 
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #5
nice tool, thanks!
i've used lineincode about a year ago and i gave me sometimes bluescreens when stopping recording. haven't tested it since then, so i'll give it another try now with your frontend

-andy-

Reply #6
gday...

about the mpc support..
how do you figure..

from homepage:
Encoding into MusePack(.MPC) is not supported at the moment. MPPENC only accepts RIFF WAV data from StdIn, but not raw PCM. Either this program needs to be modified to output RIFF header, or the MPC encoder to accept raw data. I'd prefer the latter :-)

fro mppenc 1.14 help:
input file must be_
  *.raw/cdr        Raw PCM, 2 channels, 16 bit, 44.1 kHz,

but.. i get a : "linco.exe have generated errors".
am on w2ksp4.. internal CMI8738/C3DX.

Reply #7
n68
LineInCode passes raw data to the encoder through its stdin(standard input), without using intermediate files.
MPC encoder can read raw files from disk, but from stdin it only accepts RIFF WAVE.
See MPC Encoder(mine is v1.15r alpha) --longhelp:
Input_File must be:
  -                for stdin (only RIFF WAVE files)
  /dev/audio       for soundcard (OSS only at the moment), 44.1 kHz
  *.wav            RIFF WAVE file
  *.raw/cdr        Raw PCM, 2 channels, 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, little endian
<...>

Reply #8
There's a new version, 0.93, which fixes the bug which led to "Unable to write to Profiles" error and to stopping recording immediately after start.

The website for the program has been moved to http://liveincode.rm.pp.ru/ .

Reply #9
it seems to be working flawlessly with oggenc, but with lame i got some problems: while recording, linco.exe often craches and it looks like it's still recording but the bitrate is falling and falling and the file size doesn't grow anymore. then i have to use the taskmanager to kill linco.exe because nothing happens when i press the stop button in liveincode. for now i only tried lame 3.90.3 and 3.95.1, both with the following command line: lame -r -x --preset standard -Y - "%f.mp3"
note: sometimes it records fine for over a hour, but sometimes it already stops recording after a few minutes.
are there any known problems with lame and lineincode??

-andy-

Reply #10
it seems to be working flawlessly with oggenc, but with lame i got some problems: while recording, linco.exe often craches and it looks like it's still recording but the bitrate is falling and falling and the file size doesn't grow anymore. then i have to use the taskmanager to kill linco.exe because nothing happens when i press the stop button in liveincode. for now i only tried lame 3.90.3 and 3.95.1, both with the following command line: lame -r -x --preset standard -Y - "%f.mp3"
note: sometimes it records fine for over a hour, but sometimes it already stops recording after a few minutes.
are there any known problems with lame and lineincode??

-andy-

today i wanted to record something to ogg and same thing happened.. linco crashes after recording for a few minutes (see problem description in my post above).
i don't know why, but the program isn't really usable, at least not on my machine
linein recording to ogg and mp3 with cdex seems to be working flawlessly.

has anyone else bad experience with linco?

-andy-

Reply #11
Hey - How does LineInCode decide what device it uses to record from?  I'm tryingto get it to use the line-in input from my soundcard, but it keeps trying to use my Modem.

Any suggestions?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021