Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux: Sharing windows partition (Read 1454 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux: Sharing windows partition

Hey,
I've recently plunged myself into Linux now that I am able to get online under this OS (in fact, this is my first post under it! )
However, all my music is in my windows partition (NTFS). I can access it from Linux with no probs, but I would also like to share it over the network so that it can be accessed from other (windows) computers on my net.
The normal procedure under the KDE of my Mandrake Linux 9.2 (right click folder, share) doesn't work, since apparently I can only share folders from the /home directory. Does anyone here know how to circumvent this?
Well, as a matter of fact, I haven't been able to share anything from the linux box to the windows network, but I think I can work it out on my own.  I'd welcome a little help though: Does anyone know what to change in order to be part of the same "domain" (e.g. MSHOME) and where to set the "computer name" as in "\\COMPUTER_NAME\music"?
Thank you!

Linux: Sharing windows partition

Reply #1
Hey,
I've recently plunged myself into Linux now that I am able to get online under this OS (in fact, this is my first post under it! )

Does anyone know what to change in order to be part of the same "domain" (e.g. MSHOME) and where to set the "computer name" as in "\\COMPUTER_NAME\music"?
Thank you!

The graphic tools for this kind of stuff is where distributions of linux differ..

Does Mandrake come with SWAT (samba admin tool which uses web browser)?
If so, then workgroup and computer name are specified under "globals"

If not, the configuration file is probably in /etc/samba/smb.conf in a section that looks like:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = HOMELAND
        netbios name = LMATRIX
        server string = matrix Samba Server
        interfaces = eth0

Then one of my shares looks like:
[oggtunes]
        path = /home/don/ogg
        guest ok = Yes

There should be a man page for this file; type:

man smb.conf