Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .wav Naming Conventions (Read 11878 times) previous topic - next topic

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #25
My naming sheme is the following :

For normal albums : Artist - (Year) Album\nn. Title

And for VA albums : VA - Album (Year)\nn. Artist - Title

I don't give multi CD albums any file or folder names with CD1 in them, but instead i use tracknumbers like this : 1.01, 1.02 - 2.01, 2.02,  and i give them a "Disc" tag with the value 1 or 2 etc. VA albums gets an "Album Artist" tag with the value "VA" in them...

I have previously used : "Artist\(Year) Album\nn. Title", but the reason i don't use that sceme anymore, is that i don't think it makes much sence when backing the albums up to CD/DVDs... It is fine when stored on the harddrive, but when backing up to CD/DVDs, then the discs would just have all the albums stored as folders named "(Year) Album", but no artists, and i couldn't just burn the whole artist folder since that was to big for the discs usually, So this meant that i had to rename the folders in the burning program before burning them, or to make parent folders with the artist name, and this is why i think that my new scheme makes more sence... Also, i have all my files in WavPack format, and they are perfectly tagged with correct capitalization which i get by checking the freedb results against Allmusic.com before i rip, and each folder consists of all the tracks of the album + EAC log + MD5 checksum file. I don't make cuesheets because i only care about getting a perfect copy of the actual music data and not about some subchannel data used for marking the gaps when burned to disc, as the only use of this, is to display negative countdowns between tracks on the CD players display, and for skipping the gaps under programmed playback...

Just browsed this thread and I gotta be dense but I don't get this scheme:
For a normal album from a single artist:
%D - (%Y) %C - %N - %T

For a compilation with various artists:
VA - %C - %N - %A - %T

For soundtracks, even with single composer:
OST - %C - %N - %A - %T
How does it relate to EAC's please?

Code: [Select]
%s Source filename
%d Destination filename
%h...%h Text "..." only when "High quality" selected
%l...%l Text "..." only when "Low quality" selected
%c...%c Text "..." only when "CRC checksum" selected
%r Bitrate ("32".."320")
%a CD artist
%g CD title
%t Track title
%y Year
%n Track number
%m MP3 music genre
%o Original filename (without temporary renaming)
%e Comment (as selected in EAC)
%b CRC of extracted track
%f freedb ID
%x Number of tracks on album

Thank you.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361209"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, it's because that list you posted is the variables to be used in the "External Compression" dialog. The list you need is listed in the same window as where you input your naming scheme...

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #26
[...]I don't use this particular scheme anymore, but I use something very similar.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361218"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you for your time, care to share what you use now please?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361294"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, the placing of the syntaxes hasn't changed, only the directory structure.

Artist - (Year) Album / Tracknumber - Track Title.ext
VA/OST - Album Title (Year) / Tracknumber - Track Artist - Track Title.ext

I used to do a lot of music sharing (over both LAN and internet), which was the real reason for my previous scheme. People who got music files from me could read all the necessary information from the filename, and put it in any folder they wanted and it would still sort properly. As I've tossed aside the needs of others, I found that using the directory structure more effectively was probably the way to go for myself. I still tag all my files though, so no information is really lost even though I've changed the naming scheme. I still like my previous one very much, it had its advantages, but it was a bit tedious.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #27
Please ignore, double post.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #28
[...]I don't use this particular scheme anymore, but I use something very similar.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361218"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you for your time, care to share what you use now please?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361294"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, the placing of the syntaxes hasn't changed, only the directory structure.

Artist - (Year) Album / Tracknumber - Track Title.ext
VA/OST - Album Title (Year) / Tracknumber - Track Artist - Track Title.ext

I used to do a lot of music sharing (over both LAN and internet), which was the real reason for my previous scheme. People who got music files from me could read all the necessary information from the filename, and put it in any folder they wanted and it would still sort properly. As I've tossed aside the needs of others, I found that using the directory structure more effectively was probably the way to go for myself. I still tag all my files though, so no information is really lost even though I've changed the naming scheme. I still like my previous one very much, it had its advantages, but it was a bit tedious.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361547"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks a lot for the info, now I'm off to a good start  .
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100