Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .wav Naming Conventions (Read 11879 times) previous topic - next topic

.wav Naming Conventions

Sorry for this very basic question but...

I'm starting to rip a rather large collection of CDs to uncompressed .wav files for the first time using EAC (I will be playing back wav files). I want to be sure I select the best file naming convention right from the start. Admittedly, I feel somewhat insecure about this decision.

I've learned that the folder structure of "%A-%Y-%C" has some use as it sorts an artist's work chronologically. I don't know if there is anything better.

As for track naming, I'm torn between two possible options:

1. "%A-%Y-%C-%N-%T-%B"

or just plain:

2. "%N-%T-%B"

My problem is that I don't completely understand if it is advisable to use directory "\" structures...

...and I don't know the most elegant way to deal with the whole various artists issue.

I know that this is subjective, and I may be overthinking this, but can anyone share their experience?

Thanks

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #1
Are you sure you want wav? You could encode with lossless codecs, get a reduction in size, and have EAC manage tagging!
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #2
I'm one of those people who are obsessed with uniform and effective file-naming schemes. I've been through my share of schemes, and now I think I've finally found the right formula. I've found how to separate various artists albums, normal albums, and soundtracks. It might be tweakable still, but this is what I use:

For a normal album from a single artist:
%D - (%Y) %C - %N - %T

For a compilation with various artists:
VA - %C - %N - %A - %T

For soundtracks, even with single composer:
OST - %C - %N - %A - %T

With these naming schemes, your directory structure can be ANYTHING (meaning you could even throw all your files into ONE directory), and the files will still be sorted correctly, both alphabetically, and chronologically. There's no Year field in either VA or OST, because it's simply not needed. Repeated VA albums (the kind that release every 6 months or so) always have numbers in their titles, which then automatically sorts the files chronologically. OST has no Year because a movie doesn't have several soundtracks after another.  There could be special editions of a soundtrack, but even in those cases, you simply don't need the chronological order. If you want to sort by genre, just making directories is probably the way to go. Genre shouldn't be in the filename itself IMO because the information just isn't needed, and it's more of a subjective thing anyway.

I've been testing these naming schemes extensively on my MPC archive, and sorting by filename in Foobar2000 gives the most sexy and professional looking playlist I've ever seen (disregarding single files which are simply named Artist - Title). I love it! 

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #3
Artist [Year] Title\Track [Performer] Title

Same for VA (Artist = Various).

A complete filename with all options looks like this :

Artist [Year] Title (CD_number) {Edition}\Track [Performer] Title [Comment] #Date {Rip}

Examples :

U2 [1998] Best of 1980-1990 (CD 1) {2002 Limited Ed.}\12 [U2 & B.B. King] When Love Comes to Town [Edit] #1988 {ERRORS}

Various [1991] The Complete Stax-Volt Singles 1959-1968 (CD 2)\01 [Booker T. & The MG's] Green Onions [A-Side] #1962

Talk about anal-retentive.  Obviously, I don't often have all these tags.

Comment can be : Edit, Single Version, Alternate, Unreleased, Live, etc.
Date is recording date or release date if I don't know the first date (if Date = Year, I add the tag but I don't mention it in the filename).
Rip is only present if 1 - I had errors with EAC or 2 - The file was downloaded on the late E-music service, hence not ripped by me.
Edition is only for remastered or special versions of the album
I tag everything with Foobar with the appropriate scripts.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #4
For a normal album or score:

%artist% - %album% '('%date%')'\%artist% - %album% '('%date%')' - $num(%tracknumber%,2) - %title%

For various artists, soundtracks, etc:

Various Artists - %album% '('%date%')'\%album% '('%date%')' - $num(%tracknumber%,2) - %artist% - %title%

For a compilation assembled by a certain DJ (ie. Hôtel Costes, Science Fiction Jazz):

%albumartist% - %album% '('%date%')'\%album% '('%date%')' - $num(%tracknumber%,2) - %artist% - %title%

You can have fun with this 'til you go nuts

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #5
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #6
I use a dreadfully simple approach, which is possible for me since I always keep all tracks parsed by H:\Music\<artist>\<album> (or H:\Music\<compilation-album> or H:\Music\Soundtracks\<album>).

%track% %title%.wav

Example:

Tag Info:
Track: 01
Title: In This Life
Artist: Chantal Kreviazuk
Album: What If It All Means Something

WAV Filename (after extraction):
01 In This Life.wav

FLAC Filename (after encoding):
01 In This Life.flac

Storage Location:
H:\Music\Chantal Kreviazuk\What If It All Means Something\01 In This Life.flac

People who use naming conventions like those in previous posts (and as razor pointed out) have the advantage of being able to have tracks by different artists and from different albums grouped together in the same directory and still be able to "tell things apart".  Mine would be "lost in the mix" that way, hence the only real way my convention works is if I keep everything seperated accordingly.  Also, if you're going to copy music tracks to a CDR all in one directory, for instance, or only seperated by one level of sub-directories, then "extended naming" would be needed.

I use directory structures as part of my extraction/organization process, and EAC (and for that matter, WaveGain, FLAC Frontend and Tag&Rename) have never given me a problem with this approach.  But, like anything else, it all depends on what your needs are and what you intend to do with your music files.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #7
Thanks for adding your point of view.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #8
I'm one of those people who are obsessed with uniform and...

%D - (%Y) %C - %N - %T

VA - %C - %N - %A - %T

OST - %C - %N - %A - %T

Not bad, and what is your directory structure?

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #9
I have to agree, out of many posts from a number of website, I like this format the best.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #10
Sorry for not replying sooner, I'm not used to big forums like this!

Anyway, my directory structure is basically this:

> MPC

> My Rips

>> Full Albums
        >>> Artists
            >>>> Artist - (Year) Album [Quality] (" B.B. King - (1999) Let The Good Times Roll [--std] ")

>>> Compilations
            >>>> VA - Album (Year) [Quality]

>>> Soundtracks
            >>>> OST - Album (Year) [Quality]

>> CD Singles
        >>> Artist - (Year) Album (Single) [Quality]

>> Single Files (Miscellaneous)

> Downloads

>> Full Albums...
        ...etc.

I like to keep my own rips separate. An album from a single artist, band or group, goes in "Full albums". Singles go in "CD Singles". Any compilation with various artists goes in "Compilations". Likewise with soundtracks in "Soundtracks". Single files that don't belong to any album or compilation, go in "Single files".

The [Quality] part isn't really needed, but it's a little bit of info which doesn't take a lot of filename space, and you instantly know what quality you'll be getting. You MIGHT want to sort further in these groups, genre-wise, but that really isn't necessary except in "Single files" as your archive grows. I haven't decided if I wanna do that yet.

I like to keep things simple.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #11
What I do is I keep "By Genre" and "By Title" access to the same albums using NTFS junction points (junction.exe utility):

Code: [Select]
By Title\J. S. Bach - 6 Suiten für Violoncello Solo BWV 1007-1012 - Pierre Fournier

or
By Genre\Classical\Johann Sebastian Bach\J. S. Bach - 6 Suiten für Violoncello Solo BWV 1007-1012 - Pierre Fournier

links to the same album. My filenames only are the track numbers. All the rest of the information is meant to be kept in the tags. Actually the most consistent way is to keep a CUE sheet and a huge WAV file especially if you are using lossless. Consistent because a CD itself is a single stream of bits with bookmarks for tracks. This also ensures gapless playback.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #12
I'm still pondering over finally completely [finishing something I started and] fixing my music collection by using ...\Albums\Artist Name, The\Year-####\Album Name, The\CD ###\(single FLAC, MP3, and CUE file) for a regular 'artist album' and ...\Albums\Various Artists\Album Name, The\CD ###\(single FLAC, MP3, and CUE file) for 'Various Artists' albums (in my book, why not sort them where they belong: Various Artists, as opposed to 'VA' or something similar?) (the -#### would only be used for multiple releases within a single year, with 2000-0001 as an example of the first release in 2000 and the CD ### would only be used for multiple CDs within an album, with as leading zeroes as needed, depending on the final number of the disc (eg. A 50-CD set would start at CD 01 but, a 9-CD set would start at CD 1, whereas a 100-CD set would start at 001).

I see no point in putting soundtracks in a separate place, as they are either performed by an artist (The Last of the Mohicans: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) or various artists (Trainspotting: Music from the Motion Picture (believe it or not, this soundtrack does have a sequel. I forget the title, though. It's on www.amazon.com .).

For more information on my directory set-up, check out http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....howtopic=17258& . Really, it all depends on what you need. I need everything sorted as best as can be, so I think long & hard over my best set-up (as it will be permanent after 2004-06-30).

I hope I covered everything about my set-up, if I left anything out between here and my original post regarding this at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....howtopic=17258& , please let me know.

Thanks for reading!

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #13
What could be better than %D - %C - %N - %T?

地獄

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #14
What could be better than %D - %C - %N - %T?

%D - (%Y) %C - %N - %T

for the correct chronological order of the artists albums...

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #15
I just bought the CD 2004 Grammy Nominees and I want to rip it. Can I just rip the tracks into waves and then find the individual song names and artists and add it on after the ripping? I don't want to use the tag 2004 Grammy Nominees for the CD title. I just want to use the names of the album from the song as if it were from the real album and not a compilation. Btw are there any differences between the songs from a compilation like the 2004 grammy nominees and one of the singles that would be from the real album? Thx

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #16
I just bought the CD 2004 Grammy Nominees and I want to rip it. Can I just rip the tracks into waves and then find the individual song names and artists and add it on after the ripping? I don't want to use the tag 2004 Grammy Nominees for the CD title. I just want to use the names of the album from the song as if it were from the real album and not a compilation. Btw are there any differences between the songs from a compilation like the 2004 grammy nominees and one of the singles that would be from the real album? Thx

I have Grammy Nominees 2003, except I just made the album name "Grammy Nominees 2003" for all tracks.  The way you could add the original album each song is from would be to just use a tagging program like Tagger, The Godfather or Tag&Rename (the one I use), and set the album name for each track the way you want it.  (The original album names should be in the liner notes, or you can find them at AMG Music.

As for whether tracks are identical on compilations to their original studio versions, this can vary.  Generally, on a compilation such as this one, each track is indeed the same as it is on the source album it came from (because they want to show you exactly what was nominated).  But the only way to be sure would be to closely compare them.  One way to be semi-sure is to just look at the track times listed in AMG Music, and compare them for each track to the track times shown on the CD, or (more accurately) in an audio player when you play them.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #17
There's something wrong with the various artist naming scheme. When I copy and paste the following into the various artist directory, VA - %C - %N - %A - %T, I get a file name like this: "VA - 2004 Grammy Nominees - 01 - Beyonce feat. Jay Z - Crazy In Love - Beyonce feat. Jay Z - Crazy In Love.wav" Is this correct? Why did it repeat itself? Also is it suppose to start with VA in the filename? Thx

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #18
There's something wrong with the various artist naming scheme. When I copy and paste the following into the various artist directory, VA - %C - %N - %A - %T, I get a file name like this: "VA - 2004 Grammy Nominees - 01 - Beyonce feat. Jay Z - Crazy In Love - Beyonce feat. Jay Z - Crazy In Love.wav" Is this correct? Why did it repeat itself? Also is it suppose to start with VA in the filename? Thx

The "VA" stands for "Various Artists". If you copied my EAC string earlier, then yes, the filename is supposed to start with "VA". This indicates that the file is from a compilation album, and the compilation's title follows directly after the "VA". It's simply a way to keep things organized. You can remove it if you wish of course, it's all a matter of personal preference and what information you would like in a filename.

As for the repeating artist and title problem, I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. I think tagging a VA album with original album titles for every single track is a very bad idea. If you want the original album title somewhere, put the information in the "comment" tag instead. Something like "Taken from the album Whatever..." perhaps?

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #19

The "VA" stands for "Various Artists". If you copied my EAC string earlier, then yes, the filename is supposed to start with "VA". This indicates that the file is from a compilation album, and the compilation's title follows directly after the "VA". It's simply a way to keep things organized. You can remove it if you wish of course, it's all a matter of personal preference and what information you would like in a filename.

As for the repeating artist and title problem, I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. I think tagging a VA album with original album titles for every single track is a very bad idea. If you want the original album title somewhere, put the information in the "comment" tag instead. Something like "Taken from the album Whatever..." perhaps?

I just copy and paste your naming scheme to the section for various artists. Then I go to freedb and download the names for the songs and then rip. Am I doing something wrong that allows the names to be repeated?

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #20
Just browsed this thread and I gotta be dense but I don't get this scheme:
%D - (%Y) %C - %N - %T

VA - %C - %N - %A - %T

OST - %C - %N - %A - %T
How does it relate to EAC's please?

%s Source filename
%d Destination filename
%h...%h Text "..." only when "High quality" selected
%l...%l Text "..." only when "Low quality" selected
%c...%c Text "..." only when "CRC checksum" selected
%r Bitrate ("32".."320")
%a CD artist
%g CD title
%t Track title
%y Year
%n Track number
%m MP3 music genre
%o Original filename (without temporary renaming)
%e Comment (as selected in EAC)
%b CRC of extracted track
%f freedb ID
%x Number of tracks on album

Thank you.
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #21
Just browsed this thread and I gotta be dense but I don't get this scheme:
%D - (%Y) %C - %N - %T

VA - %C - %N - %A - %T

OST - %C - %N - %A - %T
How does it relate to EAC's please?

%s Source filename
%d Destination filename
%h...%h Text "..." only when "High quality" selected
%l...%l Text "..." only when "Low quality" selected
%c...%c Text "..." only when "CRC checksum" selected
%r Bitrate ("32".."320")
%a CD artist
%g CD title
%t Track title
%y Year
%n Track number
%m MP3 music genre
%o Original filename (without temporary renaming)
%e Comment (as selected in EAC)
%b CRC of extracted track
%f freedb ID
%x Number of tracks on album

Thank you.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361209"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, those are the file-naming syntaxes I used to use in my EAC. I don't know if newer versions have updated the syntax somehow. Let's see.

The first one would be:
%a - (%y) %g - %n - %t

Second and third one are essentially the same:
VA/OST - %g - %n - track artist, which you haven't included a syntax for - %t

The 'VA' or 'OST' can of course be included in the %g field when you enter the CD information before you rip. I don't use this particular scheme anymore, but I use something very similar.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #22

I just copy and paste your naming scheme to the section for various artists. Then I go to freedb and download the names for the songs and then rip. Am I doing something wrong that allows the names to be repeated?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=218380"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course, I overlooked how EAC handles track artists. To get the Track Artist and Track Title, you need to enter the track title in EAC like this:

Artist / Track

Notice the '/' instead of the '-'. I suspect that was your problem to begin with.

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #23
[...]I don't use this particular scheme anymore, but I use something very similar.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361218"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you for your time, care to share what you use now please?
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

.wav Naming Conventions

Reply #24
The schemes I've been using for the last few years (maybe 4 or 5 years) are what I thought up since I have never had to rename a single track in that amount of years, whereas I was constantly renaming tracks before which was too time consuming and tedious, not to mention if I forgot to rename a track. Since using the schemes (as listed below) tracks that have a dash "-" in them are no longer an issue as they previously were. Of course I only use the ripping schemes so that Tag Frontend, or other frontends by Speek can automatically tag files without me manually doing anything.
---
For ripping to .wav single artist audio CD's I use (with spaces):
%A\%Y - %C\%A+%Y+%C+%N+%T+%I

Equals:
Artist\Year - Album\Artist+Year+Album+Track Number+Track Title+Genre.wav
---
For ripping to .wav various artists audio CD's I use (with spaces):
%C - %Y\%A+%Y+%C+%N+%T+%I

Equals:
Album - Year\Artist+Year+Album+Track Number+Track Title+Genre.wav
---
My rename scheme after encoding for single artist audio CD's (no spaces):
Artist\Year - Album\Artist-Track Number-Track Title.???
---
My rename scheme after encoding for various artists audio CD's (no spaces):
Album - Year\Track Number-Artist-Track Title.???