Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FB2K Tags, Conversion, and other players (Read 4974 times) previous topic - next topic

FB2K Tags, Conversion, and other players

Why do other players not recognize the tags created for files using FB2Ks Masstagger? My primary example is dBPoweramp. I use that program to convert my MAC files (3.97 extra high compression, tagged with FB2K Masstagger) to MP3 for portable use. However, dBPoweramp does not recognize the tag info, and therefore cannot transer it to the MP3 file, forcing me to re-tag. The same applies when using Monkey's Audio to conver tthe files to LAME APS MP3. The tag info is not transferred.

Is there a solution for this? I love FB2K but it is creating a lot of extra work becuase it seems its tagging system is unique to FB2K.

Reply #1
Use fb2k for transcoding purposes.

Enable ID3v1 or ID3v2 tagging.

For details: use Search
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #2
^^^ I don't think foobar uses ID3 or ID3v2 for anything but mp3.

Its probably a difference in implimentation of the tagging system.  Until its fixed, why not just use foobar to convert your files?

Reply #3
Its probably a difference in implimentation of the tagging system. Until its fixed, why not just use foobar to convert your files?

Great Idea!!!  I'm probably missing something completely obvious, but how???

I assume transcoding uses the diskwriter function??? I see nowhere else where there is a type of conversion option. Under output options, I can choose from 9 different types of WAV files (is there somewhere where the differences between WAV PCM 16 bit undithered and PCM 32 bit dithered is explained?) but I have no option for LAME MP3 or OGG or AAC or other types of compressed files.

How do I use Foobar to convert? I would lov eto use Foobar to transcode from MAC to MP3.

Reply #4
^^^ I don't think foobar uses ID3 or ID3v2 for anything but mp3.

..point? For other formats, every player should support the respective native tagging format. Otherwise: ditch player.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #5
no option for LAME MP3 or OGG or AAC

All 3 are available in fb2k 0.7.4 & 0.7.5 beta. It isn't too hard to configure, assuming you can find the options. Imho, fb uses less cpu compared to dbpoweramp, or similar converters. Tag recognition is great also, as fb's database will contain a record of id3/ape and automatically attach it to your newly encoded files.

For lame, select the CLI encoder. You will be able to specify the tag, also.

Hope this helps.

Reply #6
All 3 are available in fb2k 0.7.4 & 0.7.5 beta. It isn't too hard to configure, assuming you can find the options

I have FB2K 0.7.4. I have looked everwhere in my preferences and cannot find where i can select MP3 to transcode. Can anyone offer me guidance?

Reply #7
Diskwriter.

Reply #8
You need either the special installer or the components separately from case's website

Reply #9
Well, follwing the link provided, I installed all of the plug-ins which now provides me the option to encode to MP3 or OGG or other instead of just WAV.

The problem now I am having is that the APE tags are still not being carried over to the MP3 file (I have ID3V2 checked), forcing me to re-tag - which is why I wanted to use FB2K to transcode in the 1st place. So I can convert my MAC files to MP3 to play on my Nomad Zen Xtra.

Further, the file names are now 001 - Track # - Track Title. Forcing me to go through each file and delete the 001, 002, etc.

Even more work has been created. I'm sure there is a solution to this but I do not know what it is.

Reply #10
Further, the file names are now 001 - Track # - Track Title. Forcing me to go through each file and delete the 001, 002, etc.

You should check your Diskwriter settings, specifically the "Output file name formatting". Setting this to %_filename% will preserve the original filename; only the file extension will be changed.

Reply #11
The problem now I am having is that the APE tags are still not being carried over to the MP3 file (I have ID3V2 checked), forcing me to re-tag - which is why I wanted to use FB2K to transcode in the 1st place. So I can convert my MAC files to MP3 to play on my Nomad Zen Xtra.

Under "CLI Encoder" did you select "Tags > None"? 

Delete %diskwriter_index% from your "Output Name Formatting String".

Reply #12
First, let me admit I am probably a FB2K idiot. Now my question. I got the CLI encoder to work, but I cannot get my other options, namely LAME encoder, Vorbis encoder, and Nero encoder to work. I am most interested in Nero encoder. When I select any of these 3 options and run conversion - I get nice WAV files, and that's it.

Under Nero I have selected MP4 audiophile quality. Under LAME I have alt preset sstandard selected.

I have Nero 6 with the latest update on my PC, where I am not sure, probably under Ahead in program files, as well as LAME.EXE (3.90.3) in my Foobar components folder.

What do I have configured wrong so that I am only getting WAV files when I run conversion???

Reply #13
Never mind. Figured it out.